• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much would it cost you to keep 20 rabbits?

That is what I was thinking while reading - I bet loads of shops have left over newspapers that they dont need (the daily ones) as they cant reduce them and sell them next day! DEF dont buy newspapers. Ask all your friends and family to save them for you. This is what I do. I only see my parents and nan once every couple of months but i get plenty. You could ask neighbours to save them too?

I would try again with newspaper, my Flopsy is a paper ripper, but I find he only does it if he can see it, if I bury it enough he doesnt notice it, although this doesnt help to save money .. I put lots of layers in his wee corner but dont use it in areas where he doesnt go.

RE veg - Where do you buy from? You can get more value from farm shops, you could also speak to farm shops and small local greengrocers to see if they will sell you any damsges goods (i.e. a bit bashed or a bit limp). They could put them to one side for you if you set up an arrangement - hopefully you will find some who are bunny lovers adn appreciate what you are trying to do. .. not that I recommend feediong your bunnies rubbish but shops have to have things looking nice to sell them and bunnies are less fussy about this and you can cut off bad bits it you need to.
I dont go through enough veg to do this but I always raid the reduced section at my local tesco and the bunnies normally get whatever is on offer. I also got most of a cauliflower left over form my parents roast dinner, they only like the really fluffy bits and were throwing rest away! buns didnt mind though... (nom nom...). I cant really afford to give mine fresh herbs so they only get things I forage of dig from garden such as dandelions.

RB

Thanks i can probably find somewhere between here and leeds that will help me. I guess i can get my other half in car runs- so i can save money on bun bits and bobs and help out abit.

Thanks for the breakdown of costs hun i really appreciate that. Miss hermy loves her hay- can eat 62l a day easy and two big bowls of pellets ( and she isn't getting big)! Flopsey eats hardly any of the meadow stuff, only likes special stuff. Not sure if he was like this when he was with you? Going to take them for a check up next week. I'm doing this with all the buns and updating any vaccinations that need doing as we have lots of wildies around here. He has had his castrate. I can try bonding now and hermy can eat all that hay he leaves daily :) I'm sure it's been long enough :) Will let you know how it goes xxx

Thanks again for the tips xxxxxxxxx

Fatty Hermy!!!! Lol. Oh... how I miss that big lump! And what a big eater! Tbh... she didn't eat that much when she was here!
Another cut down cost may be limiting buns to only an egg cupful of pellets per day :D Spesh if some eat as much hay as Hermy does! Lol.
Aw, bless little Flopsy :love: He used to eat the P@H hay fine, never any special stuff here :D Maybe he thinks he has you wrapped round his little paws? :p
We need new pics of them so I can see them!!!! :D

I didn't even need to do that :D I just chucked the compost in and the seeds with some water and off we goooo :D
They're weeds so it's not going to take much growing!

Great sound like my kind of plants- i love dandelions too but my neighbour told me off when they flew into her garden in the past :)

Fatty Hermy!!!! Lol. Oh... how I miss that big lump! And what a big eater! Tbh... she didn't eat that much when she was here!
Another cut down cost may be limiting buns to only an egg cupful of pellets per day :D Spesh if some eat as much hay as Hermy does! Lol.
Aw, bless little Flopsy :love: He used to eat the P@H hay fine, never any special stuff here :D Maybe he thinks he has you wrapped round his little paws? :p
We need new pics of them so I can see them!!!! :D

Aww will get you pics asap once i find my camera. This house is so big i lose everything! I get meadow hay - all the others love it and get through it like no tomorrow.

I'll get flopsey checked in for a dental just incase bless him.

I just had smudges incisors out- he also had spurs. I think that's why the lady who owned him brought him here. She said it was just food aggression, but i suspect the dental problems had been noticed as smudge had to be sorted out from the moment i took him in and had quite runny eyes needing tear duct flushes etc.

I can't remember if they rasped flopsey teeth down. I think they may have- i'll check his notes.

Two of my other dental buns have not had dentals for 3 months which is a miracle and they have no spurs either which I'm pleased about.

The vets are being really good with me lately charging me alot less. It's still alot for me, but not half as much as it should and would be if they were charging full price.

Well better go out and sort the buns- i've had a kind of day off today, been on the forum way too long. Anyways, back to cleaning. Thank goodness my vets to nails and even grooming them for free.

Speak soon xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I think it is costing us just over £200 for 31 bunnies :?

veg is about £100 but they only get greens and carrots

Dried food is £50-£60 because we use lots of different types including expensive ones and a lot of our buns have up to 3 large meals a day to keep their weight up.

Hay used to be £50 but is now £80 a month.

We only use hay and newspaper as bedding, which we usually forage for in recycling bins :oops:

We don't buy any toys for our buns, we just cross our fingers that presents are donated, as once you add on vet bills of around £800 to some times well over £1000 a month there isn't anything left over for luxuries.

I go out on bin morning and steal all my neighbours' newspapers from recycling boxes :)

I grow or forage almost all their fresh food.

If you're ingenious, toys can be got very cheaply or homemade, there are a few threads on the forum with ideas.

definitely go to newsagents and ask about left over weekly papers...I get loads free from mine. Better still go to your local vets and ask them to do a newspaper appeal on your behalf...ours did this and we got 40 bundles of newspapers....this was two years ago and we still have four left lol

I also have the greengrocer save me veg....they sell carrots with tops but lots of people don't want the tops so twice a week I get two carrier bags of tops, free.

they also give me other veg which is on the turn...I salvage anything good and throw the rest but it means my two buns get fresh veg every day for around £1.50 a week. I do buy fresh kale and greens as well when I need it but again can get a deal with my greengrocer.

I also have gone from changing litter trays daily to doing them every other day as it's quite wasteful doing it every day as most of the newspaper isn't soiled....even spot clean if only one corner of the train is soiled.

I also no longer feed pellets at all, just twice daily veg and unlimited hay.....haven't fed pellets for over a year and the buns are thriving.:D

Last edited:
We use aubiose with piles of straw over across all the hucth/runs and only change the base once a week -

We add large handfulls of hay every day but the straw (which is £3 a bale) they use to break up and generally munch on

We do not buy veg unless it is the midst of winter - instead we collect brambles, dandelions, grass, milk thistle etc etc from local allotments/wild areas

We do not buy any toys as we find groups of buns with sufficient hay/sttraw/wild foods and room to play amuse themselves!

I reckon my 12 cost me around £80-100 per month for the basics, which averages £2 per rabbit per week ...

That includes A&P pellets for 8 of them (£8 for 10kg)
Excel mature pellets for 4 of them (£6 for 4kg)
Hay - Bale £3 - use 2 per month £6
Fresh food - Average £20 per week = £80

I line litter trays with newspaper (free!!) and cover with hay, and replace them daily.
None of them mess in their beds which are topped up with fresh hay every other day, and fully changed once a week

I have lots of detal buns who can't eat hay, so I probably get through less than most folks with 30 rabbits, but a bale a week for 20 seems about right.

The cheapest place for SS at the moment seems to be The Range, don't know if you have one close by?

I use Mr Johnsons mix. My 12 year old boy Winston has become a fussy eater in his old age, and enjoys the split peas in it.

I don't have a website yet, but I do have a PayPal account:

wilfordrabbitrefuge@virginmedia.com

Thank you, a donation would be fantastic :D :D

Sent you a small donation. As you know my situation isn't amazing at the moment, so it is small, but hope it helps some bun :) xxx

Well if I timesed what I spend on my four by five then in a month it would cost...

Hay - a bale a month - £7x5 - £30
Megazorb - use about a 1/4 of a bag a month so one bag - £7.50
SS - Use about 1.5kg a month so about three 3kg bags - £5.99x5 - £29.95
Newspapers - freebies from Aldi's :oops: (Though I'm going to try that asking the newsagents :thumb:)

Can you forage for weeds instead of using shop bought veg? Things like dandelions and sticky weed are really easy to recognise and normally go down well.

Back