• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how much pellets to feed lionheads???

liv862

Warren Scout
I now feed all my buns excel tasty nuggets for adult rabbits (since the boys are nearly 6 months ive switched them to big bun food), and it says on the packet to feed between 50-60g to a dutch, and 70-100g to an english. my problem is my buns are neither. i think they are lionhead crossed with god-knows-what as father is unknown, and breed of their mum Maisy is also questionable, im just assuming theyve got lionhead in them cos of their funky hairdos!!! :lol:

im currently feeding them about 70g of pellets a day, but is this too much/too little? are there different rules of lionheads/cross breeds? or should i be measuring it by the buns weights? if so is there sum sort of formula to work out the right mass of food for a certain mass of rabbit? ive seen people on here talk about an eggcup-full of pellets per day but wen i weighed it out thats less than what it says to give to a little dutchie nd my buns r pretty big :? :? :?

they are very good eaters, they love their pellets, hay and veggies nd if it was up to them theyd eat until they were ill so i dont want to use their appetites as a gauge!! :lol: im just hoping theres sum1 on here that knows more about lionheads than me, its pretty hard to find specific information about them online - im wondering if its not acknowledged as a specific breed?

thanks in advance, liv xxx

Doughnut gets about 10g of pellets and she's a mini lop and weighs 1kg so I guess similar to your rabbits. She gets veg every few days and herbs. You will notice their poops get a lot bigger if you reduce the pellets. Doughnut used to get more but had uneaten stools so 10g is just right for her.

ouch so i have been giving them too much!!! thats wot i was afraid of :? ok im gonna go weigh them all now if i can catch them nd will post their weights up on here see if that helps get sum more info :) prepare for sulky bunnies - they hate being picked up lol! :lol:

thanks everybody - long live RU!!!! xxxxxx

Do you notice a lot of uneaten night stools? The companies always say to feed a lot so that means you buy a lot more. If you're giving herbs and veg too then they would need even less.

Your rabbits should basically eat their body in hay a day and their head size of pellets and veg. That's just a rough guide obviously but gives you an idea.

na i never see uneaten cecos unless theres sum sort of problem like wen my parents were giving them loads of cucumber without my knowledge cos "its so cute to see them lick their little lips" grrrr!!!! needless to say i put a stop to that one soon as i figured out what had been going on!

roughly they all weigh about 2kg, i cant say for sure as im using the "weigh myself then weigh me + bunny and subtract" method cos i dont hav any decent scales that will measure above 2kg (humph). looking into buying a nice set of bunny scales if anyone can recommend a good one?

so really they shouldnt be getting more than 40g of pellets then should they? god thats gonna be a shock to them lol!!!! but never mind, must be done. wish i could explain to them why im being such a meanie, but on a happy note itll make my bags of food last longer - they are seriously expensive!!! :lol:

thanks again bunny fans xxxxx

I would cut down slowly though. Good luck, you'll probably have lots of begging and that sad face!!

Just seen this (been away on hols). Hope you incredibly cute rabbits are now on their reduced pellet intake! Mine have treat balls that make pellet time last a bit longer. They are scatter fed veg for the same reason.

na i never see uneaten cecos unless theres sum sort of problem like wen my parents were giving them loads of cucumber without my knowledge cos "its so cute to see them lick their little lips" grrrr!!!! needless to say i put a stop to that one soon as i figured out what had been going on!

roughly they all weigh about 2kg, i cant say for sure as im using the "weigh myself then weigh me + bunny and subtract" method cos i dont hav any decent scales that will measure above 2kg (humph). looking into buying a nice set of bunny scales if anyone can recommend a good one?

so really they shouldnt be getting more than 40g of pellets then should they? god thats gonna be a shock to them lol!!!! but never mind, must be done. wish i could explain to them why im being such a meanie, but on a happy note itll make my bags of food last longer - they are seriously expensive!!! :lol:

thanks again bunny fans xxxxx

Call me cynical, but I'm 100% convinced thats why the back of the packets suggest the large quantities of pellets they do. More £ in their pockets

I feed an egg cup full of pellets 5 out of 7 days a week - they get a lot of hay and forage and are perfect weight, and their poos are ideal

Back