• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How many on here keep a single rabbit?

It's a controversial topic. I accept that keeping bunnies in pairs (or larger groups) is normally the ideal, but people's circumstances and bunnies temperaments do vary considerably. I know for a fact that even really experienced bunny people don't always succeed when bonding.

I don't like keeping single bunnies personally but I do have one :(

Harley lives by herself but there is another pair she can 'talk' to through the fencing in the shed. She's perfectly content with that but she's unable to have another rabbit with her :roll:

She has lived with others before but took herself out of the bond when she first became ill.

Otherwise I have four :shock: pairs

I am not being nasty but I think that some people need to learn to voice their opinions without being nasty you can disagree without attacking someone and being ignorant and arrogant....

There was a comment about if you cant afford two how can you afford one... I found that comment quite harsh as there is a huge difference... my vet bills and bunny expenses were much lower before I rescued my second bun..

This is a very touchy area as some people have the very strong opinion that every bun should have a partner and others say as long as you give your bun enough attention its ok to have one.

I feel it depends on the situation to be honest, yuki was always very timid and was scared of other rabbits, yuri I have only recently rescued and cant afford a partner for her yet but will be looking to as shes a very very very active rabbit and I cant keep up with her lol

yuki will probably remain single as she is just to placid and gets so scared, but she sticks to my side like glue and will happily fall asleep next to me on the sofa

I have a single boy and a pait. he is single becasue i wasnt expecting to get him and i hadnt really planned for another rabbit. But he is very content and loves attention from his mummy :love: (which he gets alot)

I'm afraid I don't agree. The animals are 100% reliant on me/us/you to meet their needs, so if I can't meet those needs - whether through limited finance, space, time etc, then I don't believe that I should have that animal. I would love to have a pony, but I can't afford one and I have nowhere to put one - that doesn't mean that I should put it in my dining room because it's the best I can do and it frees up a rescue space, it means I shouldn't have a pony, IMO, because I am not capable of meeting its needs.

Of course there will always be an occasional bunny that cannot or will not bond for some reason, but as a general rule I would suggest that single buns are houserabbits rather than outdoor rabbits. With the best will in the world, any outdoor bun is going to be alone for maybe 20+ hours each day, which is an awful lot for a social creature. At least indoors they can interact with the household whenever someone is home and not just when they are being given specific time. Might it be possible for your bun to become a housebun?

I see what you're saying about rescue space but again, I personally think it is fairer for that rabbit to spend an extra 6 months in rescue and then have a companion for the next 6+ years, than to be rehomed now but be sentenced to a single life, especially if outside. It's not just about the here and now, but about the 'bigger picture' of its whole life.

This is a very poor analogy.......there is no comparison between wanting a pony and keeping it in the house and keeping a single rabbit. If you're using that comparison then it would be possible to say that keeping a rabbit indoors is totally alien to the animal.

Yes, the animal is totally reliant on us/me, and I assure you that all it's needs would be met and more. My last rabbit was more than content to run around my dogs and flop beside them. Even my cat was tolerant of him and allowed close contact. Maybe not rabbit company, but most certainly human and animal friends.

I so wish I'd never started this thread.

This is a very poor analogy.......there is no comparison between wanting a pony and keeping it in the house and keeping a single rabbit. If you're using that comparison then it would be possible to say that keeping a rabbit indoors is totally alien to the animal.

Yes, the animal is totally reliant on us/me, and I assure you that all it's needs would be met and more. My last rabbit was more than content to run around my dogs and flop beside them. Even my cat was tolerant of him and allowed close contact. Maybe not rabbit company, but most certainly human and animal friends.

I so wish I'd never started this thread.

Please dont regret starting the thread as I find it interesting to know who has a single bun and who hasnt.

In an ideal world everyone would have a pairing but that isnt possible however im sure if the situation that prevents a pairing was resolved be it financial etc.. everyone who doesnt have a pairing would. No one on her wants to purposely be cruel to their rabbit. I myself dont see it as cruel to keep one as long as you give him/her the attention they need.

This forum is a place for people to share opinions, seek advice, chat about their pets and speak to like minded and different kinds of people etc.. lets make it a place people want to come back to and feel safe to talk about what they want to by being overly harsh and mean you are going to make people be to hesitant and scared to post anything

I have three singles, but I hate it. Benji is on his own for health reasons (he can't be neutered due to breathing problems, and is too aggressive to be bonded with another rabbit) Nahla has only recently grown big enough to be spayed, and I only got Cupcake a few weeks ago.

The girls are being spayed in the Easter holidays, and I will hopefully try and bond them in the summer:)

Benji is outside because I'm not allowed a house bun (plus he is SO messy) but as he gets older I'm really hoping he can come inside permanently, I feel like he's missing out on getting enough company and stimulation.

All my 5 are on their own at the mo im planning to bond 3 males this year,

the other male is older and has always been on his own, and i don't think he would tolorate being with 3 hyper loons, he is quite happy to plod around the garden on his own!

and Matilda is an indoor rabbit, she has become friends with the cat ha! x

I have 5 singles for various reasons being..

1 is unneutered and unable to be neutered due to health and age
2 are very bun aggressive and I've been unable to bond them
1 has recently lost her partner and hasn't been rebonded with anybun else yet
and the last one is too young to be neutered but once she is, she'll be joining a pair.

I never like to keep singles because I've seen the difference bunny companionship makes but sadly not all buns can be bonded.

Charlie is single at the moment, but it won't be forever.
He is still happy, he's a very people orientated bunny so is happy to have me and my mam has his main company.

I've been pondering this for a few days now, after reading many many threads and posts.

There's a lot of advice given on here to a variety of problems, to 'get another rabbit', and many rescues only allow pairs. Or occasionally a single can be adopted because they don't have a good nature.

I have kept rabbits for many years and know all the pros about having a pair. However, sometimes, as in my own circumstances, it is just not possible.
The vet's fees for a starter, large accommodation which can be cost prohibitive or there is simply a lack of space.

I have always kept a single rabbit, outside. My first came from Warrington RSPCA with never a question about where he would be kept or the suggestion of a homecheck. My second came from PAH and was a beautiful gentle bunny. My rabbits have been well cared for and loved. They have had regular supervised free run with my dogs and cat and I have had no problems apart from the odd dental.

I would be very interested inwhat people on here think :)

ive got a bachelor bunny hes just been neutered and i dont think its fair to keep him on his own. he seems lonley quite a lot of the time and with me doing collage its hard to spend time with him. this is probably why hes got quite a fair fwe behaviour problems.

I have Bramble a single male bun, who lives outside. He seems like a very happy little chap, but I do worry about him getting lonely, so I do think about getting him a friend. I am home most days so try to spend as much time as I can with him, and he is right outside the kitchen window so he can keep an eye on us!

I worry about how he will react to another bun, as he has always been on his own. Also the cost. We love him to bits, and he is still really just getting to know and trust us. It's a tricky one eh?

Yes, it is tricky!

Like Bramble, my last rabbit was in my view all the time and was also on food alert every time the back door was opened!

He was also allowed in the house when the fancy took him :)

Frankie is currently an outdoor single bunny but he's only ever in his hutch at night. The rest of the time he's free range in the garden with the back door open so he can come in and out of the house too though he tends to stick to wherever I am.

I am considering getting him a lady friend once I've found a vet I trust enough to let them neuter Frank in the new area i've moved to but I have a lot of other things to consider on top of that. Like getting a much bigger hutch for the both of them, cost of keeping a second rabbit and whether or not they'll bond once I have her

Back