• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How many greens

Markssxx

New Kit
My rabbit weighs 2.7kilo and is healthy good appetite. I’m careful with pellets she has science select grain free, I wondered how much greens she should have. I give her half an apple every other day and baby sweetcorn’s. She is 4. Any advice on anything more Ai can do to keep her weight down. She has two mugs of greens a day.

My rabbit weighs 2.7kilo and is healthy good appetite. I’m careful with pellets she has science select grain free, I wondered how much greens she should have. I give her half an apple every other day and baby sweetcorn’s. She is 4. Any advice on anything more Ai can do to keep her weight down. She has two mugs of greens a day.

Welcome to the forum. I'd say her greens portion is fine, I wouldn't see any issue increasing. Baby corns & apple though are pretty high carb foods for bunnies. They'll love them because they are so sweet but can lead to weight gain. If feeding apple I'd trim the portion size back to a small slice. Does she eat lots of hay?

Hi and welcome :)

How many pellets are you feeding each day? I'm also interested in how much hay she eats. Hay should be 80-85% of her diet.

I don't feed any fruit to my rabbits due to its high calorific value and I would also not feed the corn for the same reason.

Which greens do you feed? I and some others on this forum feed forage most months of the year in addition to, or instead of greens. See http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?455755-my-foraging-diary My two rabbits get several large handfuls of forage a day, but they are very used to this. If you are thinking of increasing the greens, then I would do it slowly and see if it's well tolerated. Keeping a close eye on her poops is a good way of monitoring gut health.

Welcome to the forum. I am another person who does not give fruit or corn to my bunnies. Some people give small amounts of fruit as a treat, and a bunny not wanting their treat is cause for concern. Mine get pellets as a treat and if they do not run for the pellets it is likely they are not feeling well.

Back