• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

House buns - how do you cope with cleaning?

:shock: Ouch! I can see how it would have happened though, it really does get everywhere. And bunny poo is just as bad :lol: I lent someone one of my handbags once and they phoned up asking why there was bunny poo in it :oops: :lol:

When delilah was alive i used to take her out for a ride in the car, she used to lie on the back seat. I gave the car away to a friend, and her husand valetted it for her. When he took the back seat up it was full of bunnie poop at no extra charge!

One of my dogs moults every where and it drives me nuts!!!!

Join the club!!!!! A clean carpet lasts all of five minutes!

Vanessa xx

I relate to this completely......now having a house bun that has his own room under the stairs, he trapses his hay out all over the place......but to add to the matter, we have a horse too, soooooooooooo We have hayledge and mud from the farm, fur from the dogs and blue and hay from blue, the cleanest creature in our house is the iggy and even he sheds his skin :O so yeah hoovering with pets is a must, but sometimes you just have to turn a blind eye and say :censored: to it!!!!

This thread is making me smile:lol::lol: Hay in nipples:shock: bun poo in bags and cars:lol::lol:
Your set up is brilliant, maybe your O/H should come and visit some of our homes;) I have 2 dogs (setters), 23 piggies and 5 buns, all indoors (yes I am mad;)) have hay on the floor, hair from the dogs and am a complete housework phobic... well its not dirty... just very 'messy'

This thread is making me smile:lol::lol: Hay in nipples:shock: bun poo in bags and cars:lol::lol:
Your set up is brilliant, maybe your O/H should come and visit some of our homes;) I have 2 dogs (setters), 23 piggies and 5 buns, all indoors (yes I am mad;)) have hay on the floor, hair from the dogs and am a complete housework phobic... well its not dirty... just very 'messy'

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: you should get chipmunks to complete, they throw nut shells out of the cage :lol::lol::lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: you should get chipmunks to complete, they throw nut shells out of the cage :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Hey thats an idea:shock::roll::lol: I was actually thinking of getting a couple of gerbils sometime this year to even things up a bit;):lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: you must have a huge house... we are spaceless with one dog two bunnies and two chippies... very cosy :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: you must have a huge house... we are spaceless with one dog two bunnies and two chippies... very cosy :lol:

:D No not really, but its cosy and saves on the central heating;):lol::lol: All the excess hair on the carpet is extra insulation!!:shock::lol::lol:

Try brushing your bunsters

Try brushing your bunnies every day. You need to use a small animal steel bristle brush first and then a nylon bristle brush to go over. It takes about 50 mins to brush my short haired bunny: 30 mins with the steel bristle brush and another 20 mins with the nylon bristle brush. You cannot imagine how much fur and fluff she can shed! My long haired bunny needs about 1 hour to 1 hr 10 mins of brushing: 40 mins with the steel bristle brush and 20 to 30 mins on the nylon bristle brush. She sheds a lot as well. After you are done with the rabbits, they do not shed as much throughout the day. That might be your answer to the fluff problem you are facing.
Hope this helps! :wave:

I suffer from this too having laminate flooring (I hoover once a week and it was bad today as Acorn is moulting). Get a B&Q rug - it sheds almost as much as the buns so I can blame that instead. And when I find hay upstairs I know it's me that's walked it up there on the bottom of my socks. So of course my buns are totally blameless :roll:

ooo just found this old post, some nice setups!

This is mine, they live in my utility but have the run of the house supervised.

bunniesplayground800x600.jpg

I was going to suggest fly paper and lint rollers for fabrics. My bunnies' hair wafts up my nose, sometimes its in my throat and my clothes look like they're made of fur. I used to try and clean it all up frantically but with 8 buns lets just say I've faced defeat. :lol:
Both set ups from drpengie & nursecroft are fab:D

Don't know if you can help me, but my otherhalf is driving me mad nagging about the mess the buns are creating.

They both live in the conservatory and are not allowed in the rest of the house due to the 'fluff factor'. Their hutch gets cleaned out twice a day which is really easy as we just get a dustpan & brush and sweep all the mess out. There is lino in there so it's dead easy.

However no matter how much we seem to clean there is always fluff just flying around everywhere - it's floating in the air and just gets everywhere.

My hubby has just yet again had a go at me about it. The whole room gets vacuumed totally including moving furniture every week, and then I vaccum round most days. I just don't know what else I could do.

He reckons he's reacting to all the fluff and I just don't want to get to the pint where he's had enough and wants me to rehome them. I don't think he would, but I feel so sad how he's getting at me about it. Crying now :cry: I'd never get rid of my buns ever - I love them so much!

Can anyone help? x

OMG, you might as well be me! Hoover hoover hoover is all I can say. Groom them often, and outside so the fluff floats away. I use a slicker brush (the kind for dogs with the little wire bristles) on the carpets and furniture, it even works on clothing.
I wouldn't mind some kind of extractor though, if anyone has ideas?

Living in a bungalow I don't even have a distinction between upstairs and downstairs! I noticed hay has started appearing on my bath mat yesterday but I can't be doing with hoovering all the time! Might as well go with the flow...

Mine are also in the conservatory, and come out to play during the day (one gets the morning shift then I come home at lunch and swap them about :roll:).

I am going to use up the last of my shavings and then try them with lino.

I am always hovering, sweeping and wiping and my house up for sale, so am paranoid about the buns being in the conservatory :oops: (but there is no way I am going to put them outside yet, as I love having them in there).

The one thing that does my head in is that I sweep the floor and it is spotless, everything goes in its place and then I walk into the living room and I find most of the hay is on my socks - which then transfers onto the carpet lol!

Luckily I have a very understanding dh who hasn't moaned about my animals (but he did say when we move he'll buy me a shed so I can move them outside..................;))

And I thought I was the only one walking around with hay in my hair! :lol:

I love your setup drpengie, where did you get your hutch from? I would love something like that for my two!

And I thought I was the only one walking around with hay in my hair! :lol:

I love your setup drpengie, where did you get your hutch from? I would love something like that for my two!

I had my hutch made for me to my size and spec. We had wire mesh put in part of the back of the hutch where the hutch would be across the conservatory door, that way we can see what they are up to and they can see us when they are in their hutch. It was my local pet shop that did it and it wasn't badly priced. About £130 I think for a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft.

Back