• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

House buns - how do you cope with cleaning?

I have two housebuns and must admit the moment all I'm doing is cleaning :roll: My buns are allowed the run of the house but when I'm out they either have the kitchen or conservatory ..

Quite lucky really because the kitchen is a good size and we have a porch aswell which is attached to the kitchen.
They have their litter trays in the porch but at the moment Fizz is dumping her poo's everywhere :rolleyes: I'm quite house proud but I've chilled out so much since having the buns and I've got used to having bunny poo and hay everywhere :lol::lol:

Perhaps it's a bit too warm in the conservatory for them which is causing them to moult more? Just thought because my fluffier buns (not the rexes) moult most in summer when it's warm so we end up with a very fluffy garden.
Plus regular grooming means you catch the loose hairs before they fly away.

we call the fluff llumps..bunny tribbles:lol: and even on my lion in the lounge there are loads of them..1:bunnies moult more indoors in the warm
2:my buns have mites so loadsa fur loss..right now i had to deal today with the aftermath of territorial buns and marking their spot..which translates as bertie and bandit trying to out poo and out pee each other...!!
willows a clean girl until bif comes down for exercise on her own up the other end of the lounge with us..then willow and bif join in...its exhaisting..always cleaning up....but i love em being so close to me...much cleaner than my ex hubbie i assure you!:lol:

try an old bath towel in their hutch..catches fur a treat when they sleep on it.

I think my bunnies hutch is actually cleaner than than the house so hubby wouldn't notice if I brought them in:lol:

They are outdoor buns but I do keep their carpet and hutch immaculate - pity I don't clean my house as much as I do theirs:oops:

we call the fluff llumps..bunny tribbles:lol: and even on my lion in the lounge there are loads of them..1:bunnies moult more indoors in the warm

:shock:You have a LION in your lounge??? Sorry, couldn't resist!! It's just that I now a a fantastic image in my head of your buns marching en masse to the poor lion in order to deposit their tribbles(Great word!!) on him:lol::lol:

this is the set up:

The play area :roll:
Bunnysetup009.jpg

Bunnysetup010.jpg

Hope the set up is OK?[/QUOTE]

OK??????:lol::lol: That's a fabulous set up you have for the bunsters. I'm really envious.

Ahhh! Thanks. I don't have P@H near me but apparently they are going to do home delivery from their website soon. So I'll wait for that. :D

Your rabbits sound very fluffy! I have buns and I vacuum once a week.

Maybe I just have a bigger dirt tolerance!

Seriously though, having a sterile house does nothing to build your immune system. When my friend was little, her mum was a clean freak. She got really sick and their doctor said that she her immune system was non existant. So her mum sent her to live on a farm, to run and play in the dirt and the animals. It probably saved her life.

I guess though, if you've lived in sterile environments forever, it might be too late to build your immune system?

If you feel like splashing out though, howabout one of those little round hoovers that goes around all the time and goes back to its base station to recharge itself. I think they're about 150 quid.

:lol::lol: I thought that was what the OH was for :rolleyes: :lol: Apparently I was wrong so might put one of them on my birthday list!! :D

OK??????:lol::lol: That's a fabulous set up you have for the bunsters. I'm really envious.

DO you think? I didn't know whether it was OK or not.

The only problem I have with the set up is there is so much for them to chew and I cannot leave them for 30 seconds otherwise they will do something!!! If I have to go to the loo or make a cup of tea I have to put them back in the hutch otherwise they will have wrecked something by the time I come back. Well Splodge will!! :roll: I'd really love them to be out all day but it's just not possible with them.

Has anyone tried clicker training and does it work for naughty buns?

The tunnels are from P@H. They really love them. They also love their cardboard boxes.

The house is not a sterile environment, it's just the fluff is irritating my hubby when it's flying about, and I must admit I don't find it pleasant when it gets in my eyes! :(

It's mainly Scrumpie's fur that is the problem - it's so fine, and it floats about like dandelion clocks! :shock: I may try and comb him, but the problem being we can't even stroke him yet as he is just so frightened of humans!! He was found in an awful place with no human contact. He's coming round but brushing him would be near impossible unless we caught him and I try to do that as little as possible as it frightens him.

Last edited:
I ended up in A+E when a bit of hay got into my right nipple and caused an abscess .............:oops: :rolleyes:
Imagin trying to explain how that happened!! :oops:

Janex

:shock: Ouch! I can see how it would have happened though, it really does get everywhere. And bunny poo is just as bad :lol: I lent someone one of my handbags once and they phoned up asking why there was bunny poo in it :oops: :lol:

I find that the only way to get the fluff out of the carpets is to use a slicker brush on the 'high bunny traffic' areas! :lol:

Jane you made me grab my nipples and squeal with that story.... ouch. :shock:

I have to hoover Caramel and Chance's rung everyday... we have laminate so am forever sweeping. I use peoples shredded paper as bedding and I find that it gets absolutely everywhere, along with rogue currents. I seem to spend my life sweeping and trying to cover up the smell of rabbit wee!!!! I clean the hutch out everyday and for ridding it of the smell I find white vinegar the best thing.

I have Domino and Cookie in the house at the moment and I have to admit the mess is driving me mad. Neither of them seem to use their litter trays very well anymore so theres either poop or hay, or both on the floor. As much as I love my rabbits, I dont think I could have full time indoor bunnies as Im too fussy. Billy and Gizmo come in for a few hours everyday and are very well litter trained and never poop in the house so for me this sort of arrangement is better - outdoor buns with time indoors everyday.

I honestly dont know what to suggest about the fluff, I dont find that too much of a problem, its the hay really.

One of our house buns is an Angora cross, luckily though they are mainly on wood or tiles with rugs on top. This means I can take the rug outside and shake it or put in another room to vac.
I would suggest putting a rug on carpet if its a fav place of theirs

Back