• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hmm introducing.. Unnamed Christmas Present!

Thanks so much everyone! I REALLY appreciate it. I wish i could show how much i appreciate it.

For the last few hours i've been looking through the housing, behaviour and care of rabbits on this forum, learnt alot about rabbit body language, which i loved... :)

I've decided that i wanna make the second bedroom of my house(which isn't used for anything but a tiny bit of storage in a closed and rabbit proof cupboard). I can make a whole thing of hidy places and she will be litter trained as soon as she can start learning, and then she can have free range of the whole house. Luckily there are only 2 wires in my entire house that need to be raised slightly, the phone and tv cord. And then the rest of the house is essentially bunny proof. Maybe the wooden furniture, but she wont get that bad habit as i wont allow it and if she does she can just have the bedroom to herself(no wood items). :) '
I hope this sounds okay, i have pictures on my facebook of the room in my house... :)

That would be wonderful for her :D

You could try her with a littertray now, all of mine have used one since the day I brought them home! Worth giving it a go!

That would be wonderful for her :D

You could try her with a littertray now, all of mine have used one since the day I brought them home! Worth giving it a go!
I can't right now cause her pen is SERIOUSLY too small. She already learnt that she is really only meant to do peepee in her pen though..most of the time.. :p AS soon as she gets home she will start learning.. :)

Claire, I think you are doing really well! I'm glad Mum will be there to sort the boys out (grrr...). Once you know Cuddles is safe, you can totally relax & enjoy creating a great home for her. You seem to have lots of knowledge, practical skills & good judgement.

I'm having to learn all this stuff too, there's a lot to take in, it's fascinating though. Have you seen the website "The language of Lagomorphs?" all about how rabbits communicate? I found that quite funny, how they tell you that you've offended them and you have to apologise, it's really interesting. :)

I'm really happy to hear that Cuddles is doing well and you clearly have her best interests at heart. We find that those underbed storage boxes make really good litter trays so might be worth getting one of those when you are ready. :thumb:

yea, my brothers have always hassled all my pets, throwing rocks at my horses, killing my baby chickens, etc... They're getting better, but are still very much boys...something i've had to deal with my whole life, sadly. :(
It's already summer... :) It's probably 25C every day averaged(it can get much hotter though).

Hello welcome. I hope you get all the advise and help you need on here which I am sure you will. She looks like a beautiful bun.

You're brothers sound more like thugs then 'boys'. Think they need to be educated on how to treat animals properly.

Any way good luck with you're bun sure she will bring you lots of joy. I have been learning SO much on here aswell.

Sophie.

Claire, I think you are doing really well! I'm glad Mum will be there to sort the boys out (grrr...). Once you know Cuddles is safe, you can totally relax & enjoy creating a great home for her. You seem to have lots of knowledge, practical skills & good judgement.

I'm having to learn all this stuff too, there's a lot to take in, it's fascinating though. Have you seen the website "The language of Lagomorphs?" all about how rabbits communicate? I found that quite funny, how they tell you that you've offended them and you have to apologise, it's really interesting. :)
I take most of the info from reading this forum and other sights. Actually, today, i read through that entire website.. TWICE. Very interesting and humorous. It was also very informative too. :)
How long have you been a bun owner? Ozzie is your first?
I'll go back to that the language of the lagomorphs site until i can interpret all her body language...

I'm really happy to hear that Cuddles is doing well and you clearly have her best interests at heart. We find that those underbed storage boxes make really good litter trays so might be worth getting one of those when you are ready. :thumb:
ooh! Yes, ill try get some... Thanks so much! :) I'll probably get 2 or 3... :) Thanks! :)
Hay lining or puppy pad or what to use in them? not cat litter, i hope!?

You're doing really well with her :thumb: :)
Thanks for the encouragement :) :D

Hello welcome. I hope you get all the advise and help you need on here which I am sure you will. She looks like a beautiful bun.

You're brothers sound more like thugs then 'boys'. Think they need to be educated on how to treat animals properly.

Any way good luck with you're bun sure she will bring you lots of joy. I have been learning SO much on here aswell.

Sophie.

Thanks so much!
My brothers...are i'm not sure.. I guess i've always made excuses for them.... I dont know how real boys are supposed to act...? that's always been my experience with boys...

thanks so much! the learning is fun here :)

In the litter tray I'd use newspaper (if you have that available) and hay on top, as bunnies like to eat and poop!! :)

ooh! Yes, ill try get some... Thanks so much! :) I'll probably get 2 or 3... :) Thanks! :)
Hay lining or puppy pad or what to use in them? not cat litter, i hope!?

I use cat litter - but make sure it's 'non-clumping' litter because otherwise if they eat it, it can cause problems.

I also put lots of hay in there because buns poo and eat at the same time usually - plus it will encourage her to use the tray if her food is there.

Just read all of this thread - I'm pleased Cuddles is doing well. Hope you get her home ok xx

Hmm I might go with newspaper at first, and then see about using cat litter....it does get expensive, especialy the stuff i prefer(which is a biodegradeable non clumping deodorised crystal litter).
But we will see i guess

All my animals have traveled well, im not sure whether it's thet training or the routine....but they all seem to come out of it perfectly fine. Though i will mix water in with her feed to encourage fluid intake. I hope she does okay. I'm going home..not today(it's1am on friday), but on Saturday morning.. YAY! :)

Well done for looking after her!!

If it were my brothers tho, I would have the police and local animal officers onto them!!

I take most of the info from reading this forum and other sights. Actually, today, i read through that entire website.. TWICE. Very interesting and humorous. It was also very informative too. :)
How long have you been a bun owner? Ozzie is your first?
I'll go back to that the language of the lagomorphs site until i can interpret all her body language...

Ive had Ozzie for around 2 months, he lives indoors & it's trial & error to see how to organise his living space as I get to know his personality more.

I'm in my 40s now, i kept rabbits, guinea pigs, rats, mice & hamsters as a kid but we didn't have half the information that we do today. Luckily ours had plenty of space & a big run but very basic compared to what is available for them nowadays! :)

Hmm I might go with newspaper at first, and then see about using cat litter....it does get expensive, especialy the stuff i prefer(which is a biodegradeable non clumping deodorised crystal litter).
But we will see i guess

All my animals have traveled well, im not sure whether it's thet training or the routine....but they all seem to come out of it perfectly fine. Though i will mix water in with her feed to encourage fluid intake. I hope she does okay. I'm going home..not today(it's1am on friday), but on Saturday morning.. YAY! :)

The 'deodorised' bit of the litter makes me think it may not be suitable, they should only have paper, straw or wood based litters (not shavings either) really in case they have a nibble. If they do start eating it though you have to change it anyway as even safe ones can still cause problems. Personally I try not to use wood-based pellet cat litters often as I dont know what wood they are from (possible danger from phenols like from shavings etc) but these are meant to be suitable. Carefresh seems to be widely available in the US and UK, so maybe you can get that there? Or in the UK we have aubiose and megazorb, both horse beddings so come in large sacks and economical, maybe you have these there?

Great that you're going home, you'll be able to relax and Cuddles will be safe :)

I have successfully used Breeders Choice cat litter for the rabbits for many years. It is a pellet made from recycled paper. Our rabbits have not tried to eat it.

Hey everyone

Sorry i forgot to reply to the last few posts! I got wrapped up in other things haha. I've posted some other update threads with pics now... :)

Thanks so much for the help.. I'll see what litter is avaliable in my area.. And then try see whether i can get it posted or ordered to the local pet store.... :) Im ging home tomorrow! YAY!

Hi there! I've missed alot of the posts on your thread but just caught up with them now. It sounds like you are doing a marvelous job looking after Cuddles against the odds and have had to take in so much information in a short space of time. Well done mate and I wish you and Cuddles a Happy New2012 together x

Back