• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hmm introducing.. Unnamed Christmas Present!

Good on you for coming on here to get some advice:)
I reckon a fleece to cozy up to would be better than towels as little claws might get stuck in towelling. And please keep her indoors for at least a few months!
As for your brothers......... I would like to meet them and kick them into touch! See how they like getting it dished out from a red mohawk from the UK!

WOW! thanks so much to everyone.. Ill read over and try to answer the questions...

About my brothers, the 14yo isnt really into it, but he doesnt try to stop it, he is vegetarian... He's not bad, much....
The two older brothers, they have always been that way, the men of the family have always been aggressive and violent like that... to be truthful, i am so used to it by now, i just clean up the messes they make.
LUCKILY, i live away from home and my brothers have all moved out.... so they arent really ever near my animals anymore... :)

I have a few photos of the bunny on facebook, if you'd like to add me you could see them, there is also a photo of her harder poos....:
http://www.facebook.com/amor2429

Glad you don't live with them anymore. You've had all that to put up with & yet have taken the time to do all this research into how to look after one little rabbit, I think that makes you a very nice person indeed! :)

omg... this is awful. How can they be hurting and KILLING animals? Isn't it illegal? Where do you live? (sorry only skimmed through your thread).

I'm so glad your there to look after this poor bunny! Sending you and her lots of vibes!

omg... this is awful. How can they be hurting and KILLING animals? Isn't it illegal? Where do you live? (sorry only skimmed through your thread).

I'm so glad your there to look after this poor bunny! Sending you and her lots of vibes!

they dont kill most animals... i mean, the 19 yo buys meat chickens and kills them and stuff, and i bet he would eat the bunny rabbit too once she gets bigger..only if i didnt want her though...
im used to it...
i live in NSW, Australia....
thanks so much :)

Is this some kind of joke?

I am a little confused here.... is this some kind of joke.

It is not funny or cute that your brothers have shaved the fur off a kit what the hell kind of person does that? Secondly you have said your brothers abuse all of your pets.... is it even sensible to keep her?

I would consider what you are doing, i think it is good that you are seeking advice on rabbit care and i applaud that- however from what you have written i am questioning whether this bun would be better off with someone else.

I have a few photos of the bunny on facebook, if you'd like to add me you could see them, there is also a photo of her harder poos....:

We love seeing bunny photos, might be best to get a Photobucket account or something if you don't already have one, then you can upload them straight on to here and you don't have to give away personal info like you might have on fb etc? :)

I have a photobucket account its just difficult to get the pictures onto photobucket from my mobile... So i cant...:(

I am a little confused here.... is this some kind of joke.

It is not funny or cute that your brothers have shaved the fur off a kit what the hell kind of person does that? Secondly you have said your brothers abuse all of your pets.... is it even sensible to keep her?

I would consider what you are doing, i think it is good that you are seeking advice on rabbit care and i applaud that- however from what you have written i am questioning whether this bun would be better off with someone else.

If i react negatively to their actions, they just get more excited about what they have done, which means they might try another prank...
They USED to... But now they dont live at home(the two older boys live 3 hours away), i have pepper spray too....

If i react negatively to their actions, they just get more excited about what they have done, which means they might try another prank...
They USED to... But now they dont live at home(the two older boys live 3 hours away), i have pepper spray too....

Sorry but animal abuse isn't a prank... You need to report them if they do stuff like that for fun

So she has a hiding place under the bed now.... but she's chosing to explore the room instead..is it okay for her to explore or should i confine her to her pen?

they dont kill most animals... i mean, the 19 yo buys meat chickens and kills them and stuff, and i bet he would eat the bunny rabbit too once she gets bigger..only if i didnt want her though...
im used to it...
i live in NSW, Australia....

Hey,

It's really difficult to notice stuff like that when you have grown up with someone. There was some mild weirdness in my family when I was young, but to me it was normal. It took years before I thought erk... that was not everyday behaviour! It's sad to hear you accept that the men in your family are violent, you shouldnt have to put up with that at all.:( I haven't had a sheltered life, I know lots of blokes that may appear "rough n ready"- not one of them would do that.

It sounds like you may live in a rural area & your family kills animals for food? If this is the case then a lot of us in the UK aren't used to hearing that these days & can't imagine doing it... but if they are humanely killed for food then that is normal. Fishing is normal.

Throwing rocks at horses isn't... that's abuse, it must be terrifying for them.

Killing baby chicks to get at your sister is abusive. It is killing a living thing for some kind of power or twisted pleasure.

Shaving the rabbit will have possibly have pulled her fur & hurt, she may even have screamed, believing she was about to die? That's pretty heartless, she's a tiny baby...that is sadistic animal abuse.

You say your brothers get more "excited" if you react negatively to their behaviour, that's a warning sign... they're enjoying your distress. I know they aren't living with you any more but it's good to be aware of the facts.

I hope you & the rabbit are ok, it's good that you are getting other people's opinions, Lobo is talking a lot of sense.

This thread has upset me deeply not only because of the cruelty to the animals you have mentioned, but because you are growing up to think that your brothers' violent behaviour is normal.

Unfortunately we cannot stop others behaviour and you are doing the right thing in seeking advice for the kit. Please listen to all advice given as people on here are very knowledgeable and will do the best to help you give her the best quality of life possible.
Remember buns can be expensive though if they get poorly so please be prepared for that. I know some vaccines arent available in Aus (is it myxo?) but she will need to be seen by a rabbit savvy vet and be spayed when she is old enough to avoid uterine cancer.

I do hope that this little bun can bring some happiness into your life, I dont know your circumstances but I get the feeling you could do with some extra love? Take good care of her and keep her safe from harms way and she will become a true friend! :)

So she has a hiding place under the bed now.... but she's chosing to explore the room instead..is it okay for her to explore or should i confine her to her pen?

It's fine for her to explore if she's feeling comfortable enough to. Fortunately it sounds like she is a relatively laid back bunny. Just keep an eye on her for anything she might chew on that could hurt her, eg, wires, too much cardboard.

While i agree that the behaviour of the brothers isnt normal and is serious animal abuse, i think we should focus on supporting the new rabbit owner and offering practical advice on her rabbits welfare. We dont want to push the OP away from what can be a very supportive and informative forum. :)

Maybe we can offer a list of rabbit owners do's and don'ts and provide forum links for helpful posts? I will look through some of the forum stickies etc to see what might be useful to new owners. I am sure protecting baby rabbit from those boys is highest on her priority list. :thumb:

This thread has upset me deeply not only because of the cruelty to the animals you have mentioned, but because you are growing up to think that your brothers' violent behaviour is normal.

Unfortunately we cannot stop others behaviour and you are doing the right thing in seeking advice for the kit. Please listen to all advice given as people on here are very knowledgeable and will do the best to help you give her the best quality of life possible.
Remember buns can be expensive though if they get poorly so please be prepared for that. I know some vaccines arent available in Aus (is it myxo?) but she will need to be seen by a rabbit savvy vet and be spayed when she is old enough to avoid uterine cancer.

I do hope that this little bun can bring some happiness into your life, I dont know your circumstances but I get the feeling you could do with some extra love? Take good care of her and keep her safe from harms way and she will become a true friend! :)
Thanks so much.. luckily i have a special account that's dedicated to EMERGENCY COSTS.. for my horses(as they tend to get themselves into trouble all the time), so i'll just add some more for the bunny..if i can... :)
Thanks so much... :) She's so cute and she's already growing on me... I hope i can keep her..:)

It's fine for her to explore if she's feeling comfortable enough to. Fortunately it sounds like she is a relatively laid back bunny. Just keep an eye on her for anything she might chew on that could hurt her, eg, wires, too much cardboard.
She looks at me and asks to get out of her pen by standing up in the pen and looking at me, :) So i let her out and put her on my bed, and she comes back to me, then goes and explores, then comes back to me and then goes and explores... When she wants to go back to her pen, she just stands on the edge of the bed and looks at her cage... Generally she just wants some food and water. I only take her out of her cage for a max of 30mins at a time, as i dont want her to get sensory overload, even though it's a very quiet and still room, i understand she might get anxious and scared because of being in the open...
thanks so much :)

Hey,

It's really difficult to notice stuff like that when you have grown up with someone. There was some mild weirdness in my family when I was young, but to me it was normal. It took years before I thought erk... that was not everyday behaviour! It's sad to hear you accept that the men in your family are violent, you shouldnt have to put up with that at all.:( I haven't had a sheltered life, I know lots of blokes that may appear "rough n ready"- not one of them would do that.

It sounds like you may live in a rural area & your family kills animals for food? If this is the case then a lot of us in the UK aren't used to hearing that these days & can't imagine doing it... but if they are humanely killed for food then that is normal. Fishing is normal.

Throwing rocks at horses isn't... that's abuse, it must be terrifying for them.

Killing baby chicks to get at your sister is abusive. It is killing a living thing for some kind of power or twisted pleasure.

Shaving the rabbit will have possibly have pulled her fur & hurt, she may even have screamed, believing she was about to die? That's pretty heartless, she's a tiny baby...that is sadistic animal abuse.

You say your brothers get more "excited" if you react negatively to their behaviour, that's a warning sign... they're enjoying your distress. I know they aren't living with you any more but it's good to be aware of the facts.

I hope you & the rabbit are ok, it's good that you are getting other people's opinions, Lobo is talking a lot of sense.

My brother is the only one who kills animals for food, the rest of us are basically vegetarian and very much into saving wildlife...
I think they may have pulled her fur and stuff alot, but they said as they were doing it she 'looked' happy, but i dont really believe it because there are patches on her where there are scabs from them clipping, i bet...they were using human hair clippers too... :( I hope she will be okay, she seems to be. Luckily, once i get her home, it's VERY calm, quiet and still... I have a routine and all my animals have routines too, it's just calmer and easier that way... :)
thanks so much for the help :)

Back