• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hmm introducing.. Unnamed Christmas Present!

Does your little one have a name yet? She's beautiful. :love:
Im going to try using Cuddles...if it sticks, it'll stay.. if not ill try another name... Right now she just loves coming over to me for pats and cuddles and she looks like she REALLY appreciates them :)

While i agree that the behaviour of the brothers isnt normal and is serious animal abuse, i think we should focus on supporting the new rabbit owner and offering practical advice on her rabbits welfare. We dont want to push the OP away from what can be a very supportive and informative forum. :)

Maybe we can offer a list of rabbit owners do's and don'ts and provide forum links for helpful posts? I will look through some of the forum stickies etc to see what might be useful to new owners. I am sure protecting baby rabbit from those boys is highest on her priority list. :thumb:

thanks so much...
I should be able to find posts and stuff by myself...so you dont need to use your valuable time doing that... thanks though :) Ill look through more stuff tonight, my computer is just stuffing up.
I still havent been able to get hay, but i did get some slightly drier grasses, but she didnt seem interested. Ill get her hay as soon as i can... :)

How is your little bundle today? Does s/he have a name?

She's happy and cuddly today. :) She's been regulating her temp really well, i have kept the room slightly warmer though(at about 27C) and she has covers at night.
I'm trying out the name CUDDLES. We'll see how she goes... She kissed me on the mouth today.. :) She just came over to me, reached up and kissed me. It was really cute. :) She would run around a bit, come back and sniff me, then go run/explore again, then come back... She's really good at telling me what she wants/needs. She can tell me when she needs to go back to her pen and she doesnt chew on many things, just digs at the bed a little and sometimes tastes the sheets, but other than that, she sticks with eating her food. Is that strange? I don't tell her yes or no yet, as she is too young. I hope thats okay?

Aww, I think she's lucky to have found you! You seem a very responsible animal owner at a young age- taking her temperature etc- good on you! I'm wondering whether bunnies appear in people's lives to teach us something. Mine has reminded me that i need to laugh more often & I certainly do because he's such a comedian! Cuddles is gorgeous. :love:

I think it sounds like you are doing a brilliant job with her, and that she is lucky to have landed with you. She seems quite confident already, so well done!!

:love:

Aww, I think she's lucky to have found you! You seem a very responsible animal owner at a young age- taking her temperature etc- good on you! I'm wondering whether bunnies appear in people's lives to teach us something. Mine has reminded me that i need to laugh more often & I certainly do because he's such a comedian! Cuddles is gorgeous. :love:
I think she might help with my depression problems... :) She doesn't fill the emptyness, but that isnt her job to...and nothing will fill that....
thanks so much, im glad your bun makes you feel better. :)

I think it sounds like you are doing a brilliant job with her, and that she is lucky to have landed with you. She seems quite confident already, so well done!!

:love:

I'm anxious about nights, because on sleeping meds, i just get knocked out for 9-11 hours, and during that time it's not possible to keep my brothers away from her, i can have a drum kit going in the next room and still be dead asleep. im so anxious for her during that time.

I think she might help with my depression problems... :) She doesn't fill the emptyness, but that isnt her job to...and nothing will fill that....
thanks so much, im glad your bun makes you feel better. :)

I'm anxious about nights, because on sleeping meds, i just get knocked out for 9-11 hours, and during that time it's not possible to keep my brothers away from her, i can have a drum kit going in the next room and still be dead asleep. im so anxious for her during that time.

Then have her in your room and have a lock.
Thats my advice.Glad shes settled in nicely.She is your baby and she needs you.I suffer with a MH problem and my pets certainly help me.xx

I thought you said they didn't live with you so it shouldn't be a problem to keep them away from her? :?

Then have her in your room and have a lock.
Thats my advice.Glad shes settled in nicely.She is your baby and she needs you.I suffer with a MH problem and my pets certainly help me.xx

Since im away from home, the room doesn't have a lock...Maybe i can lock the pen... Ill see... I dont think they've been messing with her because they lost interest... but still

Hi, do you mean the boys are staying at Grandparents too?

It sounds like you are doing your best to keep her safe. Maybe you could speak to a trusted adult about this. If you think she could be harmed then the best thing would be to get her away from them, possibly to a rescue. It's great if you can keep her... and if you can't then another lovely thing to do for her would be to find her a good home. I will do that for Ozzie if I ever feel he isn't safe. This is not your doing, remember someone else put you in this situation & you're dealing with it very well.

How is she doing? Are the scabs ok where they shaved her? Watch out for infection there. Although I reckon you know your stuff where animals are concerned. You're doing a good job, it sounds like you have a lot to deal with.

When I found Ozzie being neglected in a small hutch with no water, I rang my local rescue. They were lovely and gave me a lot of advice. Don't think you have to cope with this on your own. :)

I'd go back home, cut your holiday short, her safety is your priority.

You really do need to get some hay, it should be easy to find as so many animals eat it :? she should be eating a pile the size of herself everyday and should have 24 hour access to it, without that she could have an unhealthy gut, and her teeth may overgrow/grow spurs and she'll need expensive dentals.

Can you not just let her out of the cage so she can run around on the floor? Just open the door? That would be much better than lifting her out to put her on your bed and then putting her back in after 30mins. Then she can have as much time out as she wishes, and still have access to food and water and her 'safe' place. If she is confident and the room is safe and secure, I'd let her have the cage door open 24/7. Really rabbits need 44sqft of space as a minimum - these are the Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund minimum guidlines.

If she is confident and the room is safe and secure, I'd let her have the cage door open 24/7.
But would that be safe if Amor is deeply asleep for 8+ hours? Life is often not ideal - for us or for our rabbits! - and compromises often have to be made. Perhaps Cuddles being in her pen while Amor is asleep might be a necessary compromise for now. It would be a shame if someone opened the door to see if Amor was awake... and Cuddles decided to increase her territory!

Lucerne hay should be suitable for such a young rabbit and readily available in any pet shop. Alternatively, a produce store will certainly stock it and many are willing to sell by the biscuit.

ARGH my quoteing thingy isnt working again...so im all confused...

Lucerne hay should be suitable for such a young rabbit and readily available in any pet shop. Alternatively, a produce store will certainly stock it and many are willing to sell by the biscuit.
Thanks so much! Ill try get to the petshop tomorrow, sadly there arent any around here but i will ask to go tomorrow.... Thanks so much... :) It should be pretty darn cheap by the biscuit, once i'm home ill get the horse quality stuff, which is MUCH better., im sure. :)

Hi, do you mean the boys are staying at Grandparents too?

It sounds like you are doing your best to keep her safe. Maybe you could speak to a trusted adult about this. If you think she could be harmed then the best thing would be to get her away from them, possibly to a rescue. It's great if you can keep her... and if you can't then another lovely thing to do for her would be to find her a good home. I will do that for Ozzie if I ever feel he isn't safe. This is not your doing, remember someone else put you in this situation & you're dealing with it very well.

How is she doing? Are the scabs ok where they shaved her? Watch out for infection there. Although I reckon you know your stuff where animals are concerned. You're doing a good job, it sounds like you have a lot to deal with.

When I found Ozzie being neglected in a small hutch with no water, I rang my local rescue. They were lovely and gave me a lot of advice. Don't think you have to cope with this on your own. :)

Yea my brothers are staying at grandparents too... My mum is coming tonight(she wasnt here before) so it should keep them better in line... There's only one big brother left now, and he has completely lost interest in Cuddles... :) There's no more torture to do. Not interesting or fun for him anymore because i reacted well. :p
She won't be harmed after this holiday is over, and i have experience working with traumatised horses/birds, so im sure whatever damage they have done will be restored quite quickly, i just need to learn a bit more about bunny body language... :)
I will certainly take her to a rescue if i feel my situation isnt good for her... :) It would be easy to rehome a bunny in this area...
She is doing good, bright and awake, a happy little thing. She likes exploring the room and she has been tasting some of the cane furniture in the room but not biting it, i find that perfectly acceptable though. :)
The scabs are fine, i dabbed them a bit with cotton and water the other day just to check and clean, perfectly clean and they are healling very quickly. :)
Thanks so much... I came to this forum for some help and i definitely got it. Thanks so much everyone. :) Ill continue coming back.

I'd go back home, cut your holiday short, her safety is your priority.

You really do need to get some hay, it should be easy to find as so many animals eat it :? she should be eating a pile the size of herself everyday and should have 24 hour access to it, without that she could have an unhealthy gut, and her teeth may overgrow/grow spurs and she'll need expensive dentals.

Can you not just let her out of the cage so she can run around on the floor? Just open the door? That would be much better than lifting her out to put her on your bed and then putting her back in after 30mins. Then she can have as much time out as she wishes, and still have access to food and water and her 'safe' place. If she is confident and the room is safe and secure, I'd let her have the cage door open 24/7. Really rabbits need 44sqft of space as a minimum - these are the Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund minimum guidlines.
I cant get back home until the 5th, because i have no car, im under 18 and my anxiety generally prevents me from going on public transport(plus the cost, it's about 115 for one trip to home!).
I will try to find the pet shop tomorrow, but the local supermarket doesnt have it which is annoying, ill pester my mum to help me tomorrow though... :) Ill try to get it quickly...
I've been letting her off the bed to run around the room, i let her out for about an hour tonight, she kept coming back and sniffing me and coming for pats and then going off and being crazy bunny... Sadly i can't let her 24/7, just because my brothers are around and during the day the door is generally open, there is also a cat in the house...
Once she gets home she will have an entire bedroom to herself and her toys, and then be allowed to roam the rest of the house, provided we get her to use a pee spot or something... :) WHich should be fine...
I already bought some wood chews and treat balls etc. I can't wait to get home. I hope she is okay with the journey....

Last edited:
Oh yes I should have specified that I meant when things are safe for her, obviously now she can't be free range safely. Keeping her in a smaller space temporarily won't do any harm.
I would keep your door shut if you can, that should reduce the temptation factor for your brother.

As for travelling you need to provide a water source if its a long way, and food as well. I usually use a thick bed of hay for food on top of a towel to absorb wee, with wet veg for water intake. Obviousluy with one so young you probably haven't got her tummy eating and tolerating veg well yet, so perhaps a pellet and water mush in a bowl that attaches to the carrier door would be an idea. Of course you'll need a suitable carrier as well, a hard plastic one with a wire door would be good.

I wouldn't keep animals if I couldn't guarantee their safety from cruel "pranks". There's enough natural predators without that too :cry:

Oh yes I should have specified that I meant when things are safe for her, obviously now she can't be free range safely. Keeping her in a smaller space temporarily won't do any harm.
I would keep your door shut if you can, that should reduce the temptation factor for your brother.

As for travelling you need to provide a water source if its a long way, and food as well. I usually use a thick bed of hay for food on top of a towel to absorb wee, with wet veg for water intake. Obviousluy with one so young you probably haven't got her tummy eating and tolerating veg well yet, so perhaps a pellet and water mush in a bowl that attaches to the carrier door would be an idea. Of course you'll need a suitable carrier as well, a hard plastic one with a wire door would be good.
Thanks :) Im trying hard to get hay but we have visitors...:(

I wouldn't keep animals if I couldn't guarantee their safety from cruel "pranks". There's enough natural predators without that too :cry:
I can guarantee her safety, once away from visiting grandparents.. We might be going home earlier.:)

Back