• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

help! updated #49 on baytril - doughnut is making a strange sound

Pity it's not septrin as she loves that! I guess that is the next option if baytril doesn't work, I think I read somewhere vets have to start off with baytril, not sure why or maybe I'm talking rubbish :)

I would expect to see an improvement within 3/4 days.

No, vets don't have to prescribe Baytril first, and all the vets I have used never do :D What's appropriate is what matters, not what it says you 'should' do in any book!

Thanks both. I will remain patient! I just hate hearing the noise all the time but she's eating and happy to will try not to worry.

I'm at work worrying about her now as even when she moves around she makes the noise now but there's no nose discharge and she's eating so I guess she's OK. Rabbits are stressful!

I'm at work worrying about her now as even when she moves around she makes the noise now but there's no nose discharge and she's eating so I guess she's OK. Rabbits are stressful!

Goodness me, tell me about it! I'm in the process of making 'that decision', so full on stress here too!

I hope she's OK and recovers .. They are certainly unfathomable sometimes ...

Sending get better soon vibes for you lovely Doughnut, hope you take your medicine like a good little girl xx

Sending get better soon vibes for you lovely Doughnut, hope you take you like a good little girl xx

Thanks. She is taking it as I am mixing it in but she has noticed as only takes a little bit to taste it first. The noise sounds awful and quite constant but she's still happy.

bit late to this thread but matt used to make this noise sometimes. his was an echo from the back of his nose even though it sounded more like from the throat or chest. he was a chronic snuffle bun as you know :)

That's interesting. It's hard to figure out where it comes from. Hopefully the medicine will help wherever it is!

Well Doughnuts had 4 doses now and we are resorting to Weetabix with bayril and infracol over the top! She will only take a tiny taste of her medicine from the syringe now to check what it tastes like and if there is any doubt that's it, so giving her other medicines as normal. She's eating it all up so I have no doubt she is getting the full dose.

She's not any better though, noises all the time. I will wait until Monday after 8 days of the 10 if there's no improvement and see if it's worth trying septrin or something else. Do you think if it is going to work it should have worked after 8 days? I don't want to jump in too quick but would rather get her on to something else if this isn't the right one for her. What confuses me is she is still happy and eating, which is great.

Back