• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

help ive got babies

If dad was with mum whilst babies were born, there is a chance that she may be pregnant again. So note on your calendar.

Its great that you have separated them and good luck hutch building.

Make sure Mum and Babies are kept warm and away from draughts. Feed mum as normal, maybe increase her pellets. Provide her with lots of hay. It may be worth getting a pro-biotic for mums water :)

You should check the nest daily, you need to rub your hands in mums litter and gently have a look, keep an eye on mum as she may get stressed you doing this :)

Good luck.

She will feed babies once a day, usually at night time. When you check them check for round bellies and just make sure there warm.

I wouldnt worry about the buck been in sight to the mum, as you will be able to rebond them once babies are weaned and mum and dad have had there Ops :D

With regards to rehoming the babies, i wouldnt advertise in Pet shops, unless you are prepared to homecheck people. Doing this enables you to meet the people aswell as see there "set-up".

All the best :wave: :D

If dad was with mum whilst babies were born, there is a chance that she may be pregnant again. So note on your calendar.

Its great that you have separated them and good luck hutch building.

Make sure Mum and Babies are kept warm and away from draughts. Feed mum as normal, maybe increase her pellets. Provide her with lots of hay. It may be worth getting a pro-biotic for mums water :)

You should check the nest daily, you need to rub your hands in mums litter and gently have a look, keep an eye on mum as she may get stressed you doing this :)

Good luck.

She will feed babies once a day, usually at night time. When you check them check for round bellies and just make sure there warm.

I wouldnt worry about the buck been in sight to the mum, as you will be able to rebond them once babies are weaned and mum and dad have had there Ops :D

With regards to rehoming the babies, i wouldnt advertise in Pet shops, unless you are prepared to homecheck people. Doing this enables you to meet the people aswell as see there "set-up".

All the best :wave: :D

dad was still in with mum untill around 1 hour before giving birth

here are acouple of pics
the babies when i discovered them this morning
DSC00998.jpg

Dad
DSC00996.jpg

Mum
DSC01000.jpg

Last edited:
You have seemed to have done all the responsible things :D
Good luck with the new babas and good luck with the spaying/neuturing of your parents :p

Also your rabbits are utterly stunning :love:

Haha dad looks like he been up to no good! :lol:

If dad was removed BEFORE she gave birth, which I believe is what you said then she will NOT be pregnant again. She could only get pregnant if he was still in there after she gave birth.

I'm not sure how long mum will be feeding them for before they begin to wean onto solids but I doubt for that reason if she is pregnant she could have an emergency spay. Hopefully you wont need to worry about that.

Dad will remain fertile for about 6 weeks but you would need to keep babies with mum until then anyway and you will need to get the babies sexed ASAP and separate boys from girls once they are old enough to leave mum.

I would personally advertise them on here. Get them all neutered and/or spayed and ask whomever you are rehoming to to pay for this. They will understand as it is the responsible thing to do and it saves them going through the stress of having the op done themselves.

Do a search on the forum for more info or wait for more replies.

Oh and once dad has had his op it might be a good idea to keep him inside until the weather is warmer. Although boys recover easier than girls I would still keep inside to keep an eye on and unfortunately if you choose to do this it wouldn't be wise to put him back into the cold again.

You have stunning bunnies, if the babies are like the parents you will find a home straight away :D

Welcome to the forum, we hope you can stay around and keep us posted and join in in other discussions :D

Vicki

thankyou all for your replies and comments about my bunnies, forgot to say their names are peter and Fifi, the kids named them this when we first got them as babies so we should have known lol, i will update with pics of the babies and this topic as and when they grow, i dont think 1 of the babies (the pink 1) will make it through the night as it is cold to touch but the 2 darker 1's are nice and warm, they are all snuggled up in the nest as i managed to check on them while mum was eating but only had a quick peak and didnt pick them up there will be plenty of time for that

thankyou all for your replies and comments about my bunnies, forgot to say their names are peter and Fifi, the kids named them this when we first got them as babies so we should have known lol, i will update with pics of the babies and this topic as and when they grow, i dont think 1 of the babies (the pink 1) will make it through the night as it is cold to touch but the 2 darker 1's are nice and warm, they are all snuggled up in the nest as i managed to check on them while mum was eating but only had a quick peak and didnt pick them up there will be plenty of time for that

your brave, i wouldnt have the guts to touch them in the nest. Did u remember to rub your hands all over with the mums sent on?? If the Mum smells ur sent on them, she will abandon them. If the little pink one is not going to make it, mum will know and chuck it out the nest. Keep an eye on them. How exciting, cant wait to see them grow!! :love:

So you removed Dad before Mum gave birth? You should be okay then!

Wow, there nice bunnies.

Good luck!!! :D

help i,ve got babies!

With regards to the little pink one:(if you warm him up(you can do this by putting him under your clothing next to your body)he will warm up with your body heat:)then tuck him up with the others and he should be alright:D
Good Luck:)hope the little Pinky (probably be white) will make it

Goodness what an eventful morning ;) peter & fifi are gorgeous and the babies are sooo cute, i've never seen them a couple of hrs old before :love:

Prob a bit late now, but have you literally overdosed on hay as mum should make the nest as warm as she feels it needs to be to protect all 3?

Hope little pinky pulls through, keep us posted :)

Gosh !! Lovely bunnies !! Make sure you give Mum as much as she wants to eat pellet wise - best option is to change over to excell junior & dwarf as it has extra nutrients she will need and babies can wean onto this. Give her extra dark green veg - a large leaf of spring greens or savoy (if she is ok with this) each night - make sure she has lots of water as she will need it.

She will feed usually only once per day and probably at night when you aren't watching, keep an eye on the nest and make sure all babies look fat and are wriggling - rub your hands in mums urine before you touch babies to be sure she doesn't reject them.

I think someone mentioned an emergency spay - this won't be possible as she will still be feeding up to 8-10wks which is way over the gestation period for a new litter - but sounds like you got dad out in time anyway.

Babies will probably appear after about a week or two week and start helping themselves to mums food and hay as well as her milk so make sure you provide extra!

Good luck !!

Prob a bit late now, but have you literally overdosed on hay as mum should make the nest as warm as she feels it needs to be to protect all 3?

Hope little pinky pulls through, keep us posted :)

she made the nest all by herself all that was in there was shaving as we did was put hay in the other part of the hutch

Back