• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hello - Week 2 of Stasis (Long read sorry)

I'm a bit worried about this blood test now but he needs to have it..

Is the torsion rare?

Yes it is rare.

I share you concern - one of my own rabbits is currently at the vet having diagnostics for liver lobe torsion. He has been ill for a while and was taken in very early this morning.

It's not a nice thing to be thinking of :(
Vibes for you xx

Oh Max, I'm sorry you're going through it at the moment =(

Vibes to your bun, I hope they can pick up something and get him started on treatments! X

Hey so, another update from the vet..

He's had his bloodwork, but they won't know the result until tomorrow afternoon. This will check things like his liver, etc etc as we know.

His gut sounds are up and running again after yesterday's visit. He's done a few poops but they're still really small and dry, only a few were a bit bigger. He is still not IV'd, but he is drinking plenty by himself through a bowl, should I pay for a couple of days IV treatment?

Critical care fed today every 4 hours now his gut is going again.

Get to see him later tonight for a bit.

Quick one - will subcutaneously fluids work as well? e.g. tape a cartridge to his ear with good fluids? Might be worth insisting on with the fibreplex to help?

Mightymax - how is your bun bun? :love:

Quick one - will subcutaneously fluids work as well? e.g. tape a cartridge to his ear with good fluids? Might be worth insisting on with the fibreplex to help?

Subcutaneous fluids go under the skin, so not via an ear vein but as an injection would be given :) SQ fluids can be beneficial, it depends on the clinical state of the Rabbit. If the Rabbit is very sick the SQ fluids would not really help as they would not be absorbed.

Mightymax - how is your bun bun? :love:

Yes sub-Q fluids are good. They won't go into an ear vein though, they are injected under the skin (usually around the neck or back). They form a 'bolus' and are absorbed slowly over a period of time. IV fluids are basically a 'drip feed' and are only done at the vets. I do sub-Q fluids at home, so that's a possibility if he comes home with you and still needs them.

Thank you for asking about my bun .. He is coming round from sedation at the moment. Quite poorly, but still with us :)

Hey so. Been at the vets from 11 until now, as only time I could get in. Sid is bright, up for strokes and generally quite good. He's doing poops that are moist and while shape isn't consistent they're a good size. I hope the blood test brings positive results because he seems to have had a good day.

I will say this, since the first of may, he has shed a lot of weight. Is this normal with a bad bout of stasis? He is certainly a lot skinnier than before and will need bulking up along the road...

Reading while here, a lot can be said for stress apparently and weight loss in rabbits

Hey so. Been at the vets from 11 until now, as only time I could get in. Sid is bright, up for strokes and generally quite good. He's doing poops that are moist and while shape isn't consistent they're a good size. I hope the blood test brings positive results because he seems to have had a good day.

I will say this, since the first of may, he has shed a lot of weight. Is this normal with a bad bout of stasis? He is certainly a lot skinnier than before and will need bulking up along the road...

Reading while here, a lot can be said for stress apparently and weight loss in rabbits

Weight loss often occurs when a Rabbit has been very ill, it is not surprising that Siddi feels skinny. I hope the blood test results today give some good news :)

I'm pleased that you were able to visit Siddi yesterday evening and that things seem to be improving with him. I bet he was pleased to see you :)

If you are thinking he has lost a lot of weight, I should have a word with the vet. They will have been weighing him in order to calculate the amount of medication to give him and so they would have been recording his weight on his notes.

I hope the results of his blood tests today are positive.

Sending him lots more vibes.

I am so pleased to hear he is bright and doing as well as be can be :)

From my own experience (current and past) I would certainly mention your concern to the vet and not just put it down to the recent illness.

Hey all,

Hope you're all well.

Siddi got his bloodtest results back. All is normal bar a slightly low protein count. The vets are happy with this and said his poops are now 2/3 size and moist, which is great progress.

He has also actually put on a bit of weight since he went in last week, so that's also good news. Think the peace and quiet in isolation is helping him there because he was a lot more settled last night when I got to visit him.

The vet also agreed that it's a case of play it day by day by day for now and just to work at his poops, hydration and make sure his weight is stable. Also, he's only really nibbling at food by himself, not really getting his big bun head into it at the moment, so work there to be done, but so far so good. Seeing him tonight at 9pm. Yay.

Max, hows your bun bun?

All the best - Rich

Hey all,

Hope you're all well.

Siddi got his bloodtest results back. All is normal bar a slightly low protein count. The vets are happy with this and said his poops are now 2/3 size and moist, which is great progress.

He has also actually put on a bit of weight since he went in last week, so that's also good news. Think the peace and quiet in isolation is helping him there because he was a lot more settled last night when I got to visit him.

The vet also agreed that it's a case of play it day by day by day for now and just to work at his poops, hydration and make sure his weight is stable. Also, he's only really nibbling at food by himself, not really getting his big bun head into it at the moment, so work there to be done, but so far so good. Seeing him tonight at 9pm. Yay.

Max, hows your bun bun?

All the best - Rich

So pleased to hear that the blood test results are OK and I hope that Siddi will make some more progress soon xx

Hey all,

Hope you're all well.

Max, hows your bun bun?

All the best - Rich

This sounds like really good progress, and I'm so happy to hear!

What's his target weight?

Back