• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hello - Week 2 of Stasis (Long read sorry)

Hey dudes,

Vet has been. Siddi's gut sounds good, he managed to listen for a few minutes. He seems fairly happy. The vet that attended today said he was happy with his stomach feel & consistent sounds from his stomach.

My folks have left him out a few veggies, hay, herbs that Omi recommend, a few dandelions and 2 teaspoons of pellets. Hopefully he will tuck in shortly after his morning nap which would be a good sign as it would then be the same routine as yesterday.

Vets are back at 4:45pm for a critical care and Metacam & Metocloprimide.

Fingers crossed, another good day ahead of us. Hope all is well with all of you and your buns.

Here is a little vid of Siddi yesterday > https://www.flickr.com/photos/150482612@N02/34308427610/in/dateposted-public/

As you can see at the end, his netherland dwarf temper kicks in a bit!!

Hey dudes,

Vet has been. Siddi's gut sounds good, he managed to listen for a few minutes. He seems fairly happy. The vet that attended today said he was happy with his stomach feel & consistent sounds from his stomach.

My folks have left him out a few veggies, hay, herbs that Omi recommend, a few dandelions and 2 teaspoons of pellets. Hopefully he will tuck in shortly after his morning nap which would be a good sign as it would then be the same routine as yesterday.

Fingers crossed, another good day ahead of us. Hope all is well with all of you and your buns.

Here is a little vid of Siddi yesterday > https://www.flickr.com/photos/150482612@N02/34308427610/in/dateposted-public/

Oh bless him !! He is looking to be a lot better now :D I am so pleased to hear that the Vet is very pleased with Siddi's progress x

Hey dudes,

Bless him :love:

The boy is certainly up for a battle. It's just keeping him on that upward curve for now. But it's so great everyday at the moment seeing little signs of improvement! Long may it continue! We need to be very careful with feeds at the moment not to upset his stomach and to make sure he can handle the reduction in his meds towards the end of the week!

Day by day at the moment but so far so good!

Hey dudes, yesterday sid did over 100 of his mini poops. Today we are at 10 at 7:45pm... His personality has been absolutely fine today but he still has quite a bigger belly. He's not on the floor barely moving about and It's not balloon like as there's reasonable amount of give. He has also been giving me licks, grooming himself and running about but how long do I give it before I get worried?? Thank you!

Ps: he's eaten, hay, pellets and 7 ml of critical care today...

Last edited:
How's things with Siddi now?

From what you posted earlier it seems that the vet was happy with his stomach this morning. I would be cheered by the fact that he's been doing normal rabbity things like cleaning himself and running about. He must feel reasonably OK in himself to do those things.

One thing I noticed from an earlier post, I think it was first thing this morning, you said that he was starting to nibble the skirting boards. It is thought that sometimes when a rabbit craves wood or cardboard, it is because it needs fibre. Perhaps offer him the Willow sticks again.

Do you know how much hay and pellets he has eaten today? If he is actually eating a range of different foods now, albeit in small quantities maybe discuss with the vet tomorrow whether to try to reduce the amount of Critical Care to encourage him to eat more for himself.

Hey dudes, yesterday sid did over 100 of his mini poops. Today we are at 10 at 7:45pm... His personality has been absolutely fine today but he still has quite a bigger belly. He's not on the floor barely moving about and It's not balloon like as there's reasonable amount of give. He has also been giving me licks, grooming himself and running about but how long do I give it before I get worried?? Thank you!

Ps: he's eaten, hay, pellets and 7 ml of critical care today...

Well done Siddi :thumb:

Evening Omi,

He's been ok today, vet was happy with his belly at 17:00 too, but I as I wasn't there earlier I honestly don't know how rabbit savvy this particular vet was.

He continues to be very active this evening and frequently grooming himself, to be fair - he's been old siddi today in that he hasn't spread himself out, he doesn't really do that when he's feeling fine, just not in his nature.

He's been at the skirting boards tonight too and even a rock facade that runs along the other side, licking and trying to nibble it. He has a nip at willow sticks and then dismisses it which is so frustrating considering!

As for his stomach, it does feel big. It's not enormous and it feels fairly firm but with a fraction of resistance from fingers it can be massaged and he's fine with it.

He's eaten today, close to 2 table spoons of pellets which should contain a large amount of fibre.. A good handful of hay, 7ml of critical care, along with a small cauliflower leaf and a few bits of parsley.

Poo count: 1/3 size compared to normal. Count: 31. It's looks close to a quarter of yesterdays and including up until 7am this morning.

He is drinking well though and urine is fine.

Thanks for your time Omi!

Morning,

Siddi has returned to the vets today at 7am. He is in isolation in a nice quiet area of the vets in the hope we can get him extra hydrated to work on his poop. As his poops were like grit (dry and 1/3 size of normal), while they were going at the vets it wasn't a problem as he was constantly monitored - but here, he's eaten more and not been hydrated enough by the sound of it, even when drinking a fair bit of water from a bowl. He is on an IV and will have extra fibre to help his digestive system.

I just have my fingers crossed, we got him there early enough. The vet said he didn't believe Sid was at risk and while his stomach was fairly hard, it was not dangerous or a risk. Everything else about the way he is now is perfect, he's recovered so well, he just needs help on the digestion side because so much else of him had come back to normal :( Oh little bud, please get well soon. I will let you know if we get any updates.

Rich

Morning,

Siddi has returned to the vets today at 7am. He is in isolation in a nice quiet area of the vets in the hope we can get him extra hydrated to work on his poop. As his poops were like grit (dry and 1/3 size of normal), while they were going at the vets it wasn't a problem as he was constantly monitored - but here, he's eaten more and not been hydrated enough by the sound of it, even when drinking a fair bit of water from a bowl. He is on an IV and will have extra fibre to help his digestive system.

I just have my fingers crossed, we got him there early enough. The vet said he didn't believe Sid was at risk and while his stomach was fairly hard, it was not dangerous or a risk. Everything else about the way he is now is perfect, he's recovered so well, he just needs help on the digestion side because so much else of him had come back to normal :( Oh little bud, please get well soon. I will let you know if we get any updates.

Rich

Oh Rich I am sorry to hear that Siddi has had to be re-admitted. However, IV fluids can make a massive difference and I certainly hope that will prove to be the case for Siddi. I am wondering if it might be a good idea to ask the Vet if he/she could run a full blood profile today ?

Please let us know how the little fella is doing later today x

Good idea about blood, they are due to contact us later so I will organise it.

I really hope they do, it's been a week of about 2 hour sleep a night making sure he's ok and driving him back to the vet tore me to bits because he looked so scared again :cry: he had made so much progress it was untrue, but it seems he wasn't properly hydrated and hopefully now the vet will finally agree to keep him in until his poops look more normal. He's in isolation too now as mentioned, so hopefully it is far less stressful and peaceful than his previous visit. Fingers crossed.

Good idea about blood, they are due to contact us later so I will organise it.

I really hope they do, it's been a week of about 2 hour sleep a night making sure he's ok and driving him back to the vet tore me to bits because he looked so scared again :cry: he had made so much progress it was untrue, but it seems he wasn't properly hydrated and hopefully now the vet will finally agree to keep him in until his poops look more normal. He's in isolation too now as mentioned, so hopefully it is far less stressful and peaceful than his previous visit. Fingers crossed.

I'd certainly asked the Vet to look at his liver and kidney function if he/she agrees to run a blood profile x

Morning,

Rich

Hope he gets on well at the vets today :)

I was going to ask, his stools point to dehydration and the colour points to a lack of fibre. Even though we are heavily critical caring him, he is still trying to gnaw wood like crazy. Would them administering fibreplex be worth while??

I was going to ask, his stools point to dehydration and the colour points to a lack of fibre. Even though we are heavily critical caring him, he is still trying to gnaw wood like crazy. Would them administering fibreplex be worth while??

It wont do any harm, but at the moment it sounds as though aggressive fluid therapy is the most important thing x

Sorry that Siddi has had to be re-admitted, but it does sound very sensible. Fluids are very often given to support rabbits in Stasis or who are not eating properly. I think Jane said a few posts back that fluids and fibre are the key things that will make a difference and I agree. As you say the size and colour of his poo indicates that these are lacking as well, together with the desire to knaw wood.

I'm sorry I've no experience with using Fibreplex, but I've seen it mentioned often, so hopefully someone will be able to advise. You could also of course discuss this with the vet. I tend to try to stuff my rabbits full of Bramble leaves and hay, if I see unperfect poo :lol:

Hopefully his vet stay with the treatment will make him feel a lot better.

A lot of vets recommend this, for sure :)

Hey folks,

So an update from the vet. Siddi is fine in the isolation ward of the vets. He seems bright, stable and was happy with critical care feed again.

They are not giving him IV at the moment. Because, they believe he is hydrated and bright enough without it. If they felt he was at risk, he would be straight on it. Instead of now, they'll be monitoring his intake to make sure it is what it needs to be.

2 vets have felt his stomach, neither seem to believe there is a blockage, he does have a low glucose count at 9.3 at the moment, so they are going to monitor that.

What they wondered about is that day he pooped too much, it was actually the meds speeding things through too quickly. So, they are going to monitor day by day for now.

They will also introduce fibreplex into him today, to see if this will assist him.

Also, the vet believes she has seen buns in much worse condition than him before and they've been fine and pulled through, she was actually shocked by his progress over the past week and says that there should be no reason to worry and working carefully to monitor him they can get his digestive system back to normal. Finally, they are going to seek advice from the RVC to see if there's anything further they can do.

Bloodwork and IV will be if needs must basis then.

My only concern is his seizure was at 23 ( I know I gave him a lot of treat on the day and he hadn't passed pellets for 3 days ), but now 9.3?? :|| Is that normal?!

Thanks again folks.

Love
Rich

Hey folks,

So an update from the vet. Siddi is fine in the isolation ward of the vets. He seems bright, stable and was happy with critical care feed again.

They are not giving him IV at the moment. Because, they believe he is hydrated and bright enough without it. If they felt he was at risk, he would be straight on it. Instead of now, they'll be monitoring his intake to make sure it is what it needs to be.

2 vets have felt his stomach, neither seem to believe there is a blockage, he does have a low glucose count at 9.3 at the moment, so they are going to monitor that.

What they wondered about is that day he pooped too much, it was actually the meds speeding things through too quickly. So, they are going to monitor day by day for now.

They will also introduce fibreplex into him today, to see if this will assist him.

Also, the vet believes she has seen buns in much worse condition than him before and they've been fine and pulled through, she was actually shocked by his progress over the past week and says that there should be no reason to worry and working carefully to monitor him they can get his digestive system back to normal. Finally, they are going to seek advice from the RVC to see if there's anything further they can do.

Bloodwork and IV will be if needs must basis then.

My only concern is his seizure was at 23 ( I know I gave him a lot of treat on the day and he hadn't passed pellets for 3 days ), but now 9.3?? :|| Is that normal?!

Thanks again folks.

Love
Rich

A blood glucose of 9.3 is not 'low' :?

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Ref/Biochemistry/Bioch_13_O-cuniculus.htm

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Hematology/blood_chemistry.htm

Last edited:
Back