• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Health tips for the ageing bun?

Orenoko

Mama Doe
Lilac is around 8 and Rupert is 6 (roughly, both were rescues so not completely sure). They both seem to be in good health, no issues with cleaning themselves and no signs of arthritis that I can see. Rupert is blind but manages better than I ever thought he would have done, he very rarely bumps into anything. Just wondering if there are any adjustments to care that people would make for an ageing bun? I give them both an oxbow joint support tablet each day, I think they should probably have 2-3 each according to their weight so I could increase that. Is there anything else I could or should be doing? Any supplements etc that people use?

I like you, put them on joint support tablets (I think 2 is the max daily, something to do with glucosamine) but to be honest just deal with other things on a needs lead basis . Keeping them the correct weight & as active as possible is all thats needed IMO)

I'm so pleased Rupert is coping so well with his sight loss :love:

I like you, put them on joint support tablets (I think 2 is the max daily, something to do with glucosamine) but to be honest just deal with other things on a needs lead basis . Keeping them the correct weight & as active as possible is all thats needed IMO)

I'm so pleased Rupert is coping so well with his sight loss :love:

This is all that I do here :)

Thanks both. Lilac is probably a tiny bit above optimal weight (not fat but the vet did tell me at last vaccination time to keep an eye), and Rupert is the opposite. My theory is that since he went blind he has a harder time finding food, so I make extra effort to ensure he knows where it is and occasionally sneak him some extra here and there. They're both great hay eaters so I can't complain there. Glad to hear I'm hopefully doing alright with them!

I give Brko on and off Rodicare Senior. Basicly it is herbal extract. Hawthorn, macerated 10%, glucosamine 2%, bromeliad powder 2%, chondroitin sulfate 0.5%, [ginseng, ginkgo leaves,dried, willow bark, hawthorn, nettle leaves,dried], ground 0.1% each

That's wonderful that Rupert manages so well with his blindness. :love: Like j&b, I just deal with things when they happen, rather than do anything preventative, with the exception of the joint tabs. Keeping them active and a healthy weight is what I'd focus on, too. I do think with older bunnies it's especially important to weigh them regularly, and I find it helpful to once in a while look back a few months and see if there've been any changes. Changes in mobility can happen so slowly that we might not notice them as they're happening, until you realise that, for example, 6 months ago one of the bunnies was using their digging box every day, or jumping up on the windowsill, or doing zoomies every morning, and they're not really doing that anymore now.

I give Brko on and off Rodicare Senior. Basicly it is herbal extract. Hawthorn, macerated 10%, glucosamine 2%, bromeliad powder 2%, chondroitin sulfate 0.5%, [ginseng, ginkgo leaves,dried, willow bark, hawthorn, nettle leaves,dried], ground 0.1% each

I might look into this, have you noticed a positive difference since you started giving it?

I might look into this, have you noticed a positive difference since you started giving it?

if you do ...check the glucosamine levels aren't too high with the combined doses of this & the scooby snacks (joint support tabs). I spoke to Oxbow a while back & apparently glucosamine is the reason why even giant buns can't go over 2 tabs daily. I think it can cause gastric upset

if you do ...check the glucosamine levels aren't too high with the combined doses of this & the scooby snacks (joint support tabs). I spoke to Oxbow a while back & apparently glucosamine is the reason why even giant buns can't go over 2 tabs daily. I think it can cause gastric upset

Good to know, thank you!

Aww, bless them.
Both my bunnies turn 12 in the next few months and to be honest I haven't given them.any supplements to help.
They are obviously a lot slower but they still eat and drink well. They both still love their hay and some days they are more active than others.
They are like an old couple cuddling together. I'm just taking it as they come. They felt the cold last week but they cuddled together and had extra hay and they were fine :)

Last edited:
Huh I think he does benefit. He is often on meds for teeth problems. I havent given him Senior supplement in a while and then fungus apeard and now e.cuniculi and toxoplasmosis. So it might be linked. In a way that Senior supplement supports his imune system.

Back