• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay Bales

I did yes! Thanks again for their details! How gorgeous are their ickle ponies!!!!? There was one that had just been born this morning! :love:

I tried to say that you gave me *their* (not yours - edit!) number but then he went on to describe what you may or may not look like :lol: I don't know!!

Ha ha! I went to Danetre Farm to get two bales on Friday and had to describe Janak to the lovely lady! See what you've started :lol::lol: Oh and their wee ponies are just adorable - the little foal right by the house was a cutie-pie!

No I'm not, it is sat on a metal tray in the greenhouse. I'll take a photo of it and you'll see what I mean.

There is no room in the garage for the bale. So I put loose hay in a large thick plastic bag and put it the storage cupboard withe their litter and it's fine.

It's just in the green house it's an issue :?

I wonder if the greenhouse is too hot for it :? ? Even in the winter they get warm with the sunshining on the glass :?

Recently I've been buying bales of hay from Tower farms in Barby.

It's £3.50:shock::D

I rang them and asked if they did bales of hay and they said NO! :evil: Obviously didn't like the sound of me on the phone :lol:

I'm not too worried. The people that Janak gave me the details of are lovely and the two bales I got will last me for an aaaage!

Fluffers: Thanks for the tip on it being in slices :D Dead easy!

I keep 2 bales in a duvet cover in the garage and then decant a couple of slices into a megazorb bag (empty!!) to take out to the bunnies :)

I rang them and asked if they did bales of hay and they said NO! :evil: Obviously didn't like the sound of me on the phone :lol:

I'm not too worried. The people that Janak gave me the details of are lovely and the two bales I got will last me for an aaaage!

Fluffers: Thanks for the tip on it being in slices :D Dead easy!

What the hell!?? :?

Well I never rang them, I just popped in one day, and asked if they were safe for rabbits and guniea-pigs and they said yes. So I bought one!

Bloody worth it, I have to say.

SOrry if I've not read your posts properly but where did you get your bales from?

Yes, a much more cost effective way of buying hay!!

Assuming they are normal oblong horse bales you should find that they are made up of compact "slices", usually 8-12 in a bale depending on the bale size. Take a slice in at a time in a box or bag, whichever is easiest. I bring a slice up at a time from the stables and the first one lasted Inca 1 month which means a bale should last almost a year and at £3.50 a bale that aint bad going!! :)

A bale a year :shock: I get through a bale in less than 2 weeks!!:lol:

I do have a few more bunnies than you though.

Buying bales is SOOOO much cheaper!

if you go through a bale quite quick say anywhere between 1 to 4 weeks then were you store isnt to bad,

direct sunlight would make it brittle and dull, over a long period of time

but if your bale lasts longer than a month or so, id seek better storage were air can circulate and not sweat or get wet :)

my bales have gone up to 7 pounds now, but i dont mind it still saves me money in long run, my 5 only cost me 6 pounds a month in pellets, grass, herbs and even veggies are free so 13 pound a month not bad going really, just the vets fees that sting:lol:

Last edited:
I have quite a few hessian sacks left over from my dust free hay, i always keep them in case they are of use to anyone.
I'd be happy to post them out to anyone that could use them to split up their bales of hay?
Let me know if any use.

I am going to get a bale at the weekend as with 4 guinea pigs and 2 rabbits which i pick up on saturday too I am going to get through an enmorous amount of hay, I have found a pet shop which sells horsey things as well so has bales so can't wait to go and get one!

Kemit I will pm you as i would love a hessian sack if you still have any available!

I am going to get a bale at the weekend as with 4 guinea pigs and 2 rabbits which i pick up on saturday too I am going to get through an enmorous amount of hay, I have found a pet shop which sells horsey things as well so has bales so can't wait to go and get one!

Kemit I will pm you as i would love a hessian sack if you still have any available!

I will post you two out.
They are the smaller size ones, the same size as a bag of hay you would buy in a petshop, they are a good size for managing to store in your house.

The place we get ours from offer meadow and rye but the rye bales are a bit smaller. I got one once when they didn't have any meadow but the buns weren't so keen (and the meadow is cheaper :oops: ).

Back