• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Shop Bought Hay With Damaged bags

Jase8788

New Kit
Hi all, Just a quick question i'm looking for opinions on. If you buy hay from a shop/order online and the plastic bag is damaged is that ok?

If I'm buying instore I tend to check and find ones that aren't damaged, but ordering online makes this more tricky and sometimes bags will come with a piece of hay of stick poking through the sealed bag. Just wondering if that means the whole bag should go in the bin or will it be ok? Slightly concerned about moisture having got in and thus mold or is that overthinking things?

I use bales of hay. There is no wrapping. It all comes down to how well it's been stored.
As long as it smells OK (not damp, mouldy or musty) it should be fine. Hay in plastic bags can sweat and develop mould spores more easily, so in some ways a damaged bag may actually be better as it's been able to breathe.

Back