• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Handling a reluctant bunny - update, he bit me!

Update 8.30pm. He bit me. :(:shock: I fussed him before and after, and gave him a crunchie (which he refused). I seem to be seriously out of favour. Perhaps it is just too soon after his neuter.

:shock: mr spenser :no: dont take it personally, its the only way he can tell you he doesnt like somthing :) he doesnt hate you, he is prob still a bit worried your going to take him to the vets, poppy takes weeks to get over one vet trip :roll: just slowly earn his trust back and it will get easier once his hormones settle too :) keep trying and once he knows its just a cuddle you want he will get more and more used to the idea your not taking him to the vets or doing anything nasty:) keep going your doing great :D maybe use gloves next time? just so you feel confident xx

I would forget about picking up until your bun was happy with interacting more generally. To pick a bun up you need to be able to stroke them from head to tail without the bun minding, also put your hand under their chest. If you can't do this without your bun running off you are definitely going to have trouble picking them up successfully.

My buns dislike being handled. They were handed into the PDSA at 1 year old, adopted by the vet and then surrendered to a rescue two years later when the vet moved to London so they haven't exactly had the best start in life.

My family are really keen to handle them, especially my older sister (now 50!) The bunnies have got used to being handled, although they have sometimes developed better ways of getting away! :lol:

I would forget about picking up until your bun was happy with interacting more generally. To pick a bun up you need to be able to stroke them from head to tail without the bun minding, also put your hand under their chest. If you can't do this without your bun running off you are definitely going to have trouble picking them up successfully.

He doesn't mind being stroked from head to tail as long as all four paws are very firmly on the ground. In fact he likes it and makes a sort of purring noise. He doesn't like my hand under his chest though. He lives outside, but I am giving him as much indoor time as possible as well as lots of visits to the hutch, and there have been signs he was getting more relaxed with me, eg. allowing me to share 'his' sofa on the conservatory.

Lola and Benson hate being picked up too. I tend not to do it. I don't do it every day in the summer either (shock horror :shock::oops:) I think that the trauma of being picked up every day would stress them out too much. I keep them clean and feel underneath for fluffy butts and no matted fur and hope that thats enough. I would leave Spensers 4 feet on the ground for now until he is a bit more relaxed around you and as Sky-o says - thats not set in stone and you can reasess at a later date. I think it's better that he stays happy doing his own thing and relaxed. Give yourself a break - you've been through the mill with him too. You need to think about yourself as well as Spenser and believe it or not - please forum - don't hate me - You're more important! Give him a month and relax yourself!!!

I might treat myself to some EXTRA strong teabags. :p His lordship has now been returned to the hutch. I left him a good half hour between bite and going out, as I don't want him to think I am punishing him. He had two long stroking sessions, and apple stick and half a barley ring treat before going out. He also did two happy flops in the crate. :love:

:no: norty spenser!!!

jasper has always been a nightmare to pick up, in fact my OH cant really do it. he hears his voice and bolts. i can pick him up when i have to but he is still a little wriggler, i just have to be really firm with him.

it might just be that spenser is gonna be a bun you cant really pick up unless you have to. i would work on geting him to come to you and spend time with you,build up his trust :)

Lola and Benson hate being picked up too. I tend not to do it. I don't do it every day in the summer either (shock horror :shock::oops:) I think that the trauma of being picked up every day would stress them out too much. I keep them clean and feel underneath for fluffy butts and no matted fur and hope that thats enough. I would leave Spensers 4 feet on the ground for now until he is a bit more relaxed around you and as Sky-o says - thats not set in stone and you can reasess at a later date. I think it's better that he stays happy doing his own thing and relaxed. Give yourself a break - you've been through the mill with him too. You need to think about yourself as well as Spenser and believe it or not - please forum - don't hate me - You're more important! Give him a month and relax yourself!!!

this is exactly what i do too.....:?

^^this.

my 2 are wrigglers and eric is a nightmare to catch - hence why i've flattened the futon tonight so his hidey holes are on MY terms then i can reach him easily if needed.

i sit or lie on the floor with both of mine as they love fuss but like all 4 paws on the ground. best bum check method for me is to lie on the floor and watch them hop around - sticky poop shows up well on white fur;)

Back