• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Handling a reluctant bunny - update, he bit me!

Maybe its time for you to take a bit more control, such as by blocking off those hard to reach areas, and maybe by restricting his space whilst he is inside so that he has to 'deal' with you which will hopefully help him start to feel more at ease when he's around you and you don't do anything he perceives as bad.

my first mini lop mitzi was neutered because he got agressive with hormones raging, when i had him neutered, week later i went away and he stayed with my nan, when i came home it would of been 3weeks after the op, he seemed worse with me and went for me worse then ever :oops::shock: but one week after that, making it a month after his op, he calmed down soo much and he never bit again, he lay bu my side, he came indoors to play, he got a friend to live with :)

give spenser some time, im sure in few weeks he'll settle more, especially being a housebun :love:

Maybe its time for you to take a bit more control, such as by blocking off those hard to reach areas, and maybe by restricting his space whilst he is inside so that he has to 'deal' with you which will hopefully help him start to feel more at ease when he's around you and you don't do anything he perceives as bad.

That's a good idea. :) I actually do that to get him in his carrier after time in the conservatory. It used to take me hours to catch him, but normally I can do it in a few minutes. I wonder if putting him in his crate would help. The crate is still up in my bedroom from his post-neuter recovery. He likes it in there, and plays much more with toys etc when he is there.

That's a good idea. :) I actually do that to get him in his carrier after time in the conservatory. It used to take me hours to catch him, but normally I can do it in a few minutes. I wonder if putting him in his crate would help. The crate is still up in my bedroom from his post-neuter recovery. He likes it in there, and plays much more with toys etc when he is there.

Maybe, if you can at some point, buy a puppy pen and then you can sit in it with him. When you do that, completely ignore him and let him explore you and the space.

I'm sure I read somewhere that the hormones can take another two weeks to subside after the op. Some buns don't like being picked up and fussed too much but this can change with time. Pick him up firmly and hold against your chest. If he struggles cover his eyes with your other hand. He should stop struggling then. Just wait a bit and then get on with whatever needs doing.

Another way of getting him to relax more is to adopt a very loving soft bunny. A frenchie would be perfect as they are super laid back anyway. I noticed when I adopted my girls they were keen to interact with me but were nervous about too much fussing. But when they saw me fussing Darcy so much and him licking me their little faces were like "oh" and then they liked fussing too. They even got jealous of who was getting fussed first.:roll::lol::love:

He's in the crate now, busily rearranging eveything to his liking. I will give hima while to settle then have another go at picking him up.

hope you get on well :) its difficult as spenser is not food orinentated so he will not come if you had food or a reward so i do know how difficult its going to be :( remeber he has only just been neutered, takes a few months for the hormones to go ;) x

Bungle doesnt like being handled but he doesnt get a choice. We get him backed into a corner and then grab! He needs daily grooming which he hates but its important.

my 2 hate me going near them. they much prefer to be left alone......they are both having a huge malt at the moment and every evening when i feed them i am trying to get some fur from them and they HATE me for it!!! even tho they are eating it doesnt take there mind from it.
Gizzy wasnt too bad when i got him but i think now he is copying bunny as she is a little madam and they dont want me near them. :roll:
i feel for you.....

He's in the crate now, busily rearranging eveything to his liking. I will give hima while to settle then have another go at picking him up.

My advice:

Remember to sit or kneel next to him when you try this (so he is only a foot off the ground maximum). Get inside the crate with him if you can!!

Give him lots of head/nose rubs first and talk to him. Be calm but firm & confident. Wear long sleeves & gloves to ensure you don't get scratched. Hold him for a few seconds and then gently/slowly put him back on the floor and fuss him again. Try to avoid sudden movements. Continue with this and gradually increase how long you hold him for :D

Be patient & persevere ;)

Good luck :wave:

Update 8.30pm. He bit me. :(:shock: I fussed him before and after, and gave him a crunchie (which he refused). I seem to be seriously out of favour. Perhaps it is just too soon after his neuter.

Update 8.30pm. He bit me. :(:shock: I fussed him before and after, and gave him a crunchie (which he refused). I seem to be seriously out of favour. Perhaps it is just too soon after his neuter.

He's just telling you he didn't like it. Its nothing personal, and we know he doesn't like it. Its sensible to wear thick clothing and gloves, if he is going to bite. He needs to learn it doesn't give him the response he wants.

I think you're looking too much into the fact he has been neutered. Yes, its unsettling, and yes you need to win back his trust and kiss some serious bunny butt because you got his balls removes, but its not a huge deal. A neuter is not going to miraculously change his personality, just his hormones (which you said he had none anyway) will just die away, gradually, over time.

You either have to persevere with what you're doing, or decide that right now he is not going to be a handled bunny and whatever decision you make, you can reassess and change your mind in the future.

Not expecting a magic answer (I've tried everything) but need let off steam about this. :evil: Spenser will not be picked up, and his vet says I should persever so that I can check his back end, especially in the summer. Plumbs or no plumbs, Spenser considers this region none of my business.:no: Now he is not even keen on me stroking him. I know he's only been neutered just over a week, but I wasn't expecting him to get more nervy and easily upset. His eating is also worse rather than better. :roll:

i know how u feel i went throught this with scooter and i could not see his stichs at all and i was getting worried. no matter i did i could not get a look. the only thing i could do was leave him alone because if i struggled with him it could open his stichs, so i decided not to take the risk and just keep a good eye on him check for blood in his cage and if i saw any to take him straight to vets to be sure.

i love taking scooter to vets feel sorry for him but its only time i get a cuddle off of him lol

I don't know what to suggest really but Spenser didn't mean to bite you to hurt your feelings, just to let you know he didn't like what you were doing. Hopefully either he will get used to handling or put up with it/you can learn to do it quickly and get it over with when it's nessecary xx

Well he has just accept a long head-stroking session, then I held an apple stick for him to chew, so I am back in favour. He even did a flop in his crate. When I said before Spenser wasn't hormonal I meant he did do feet-circling, humping or spraying - I went ahead with the neuter partly because he needed an xray so was getting GA anyway, and also becuase it's supposed to make them more relaxed. I'll try again in a couple of days.

:no: Naughty Lord Spenser :roll:

I think if you really wanted to go down the route of handling him more then maybe try after he's had a good hop around and used up some energy but is looking quite relaxed?

He just needs to learn that being handled isn't going to hurt him. This could take some time, several weeks possibly. There is also the chance that he may not improve at all and you should be prepared for this.

If you're going to attempt it though then consistency & repetition is important, as is patience and confidence. Keeping a diary might help to keep track of progress.

ETA: bear in mind that his hormones are probably all over the place right now and it could take 6 weeks before you notice a difference in him :)

Last edited:
Bungle is a biter too! He will run up to our feet, bite and then run off! If I put my hand near his face he lunges at you and will growl if he isn't happy! He is just a grumpy bum!

Aww dont feel dispondant hun :(

Only a week after his spay he's probably feeling vulnerable and unsettled. Id give it a few more weeks before trying to get him accostomed to handling again as it sounds like you're going to need him to be in good spirits!

Good luck :wave:

I have a few buns like this, and they would wriggle out of their skin to get away if they could.

Jacinta is particularly bad - she doesn't even like being touched, and she even mamaged to bite Louise when she had to go back to the rescue for her vaccine:oops:.

For those buns that aren't keen, I keep handling to the minimum. But when I need to bum check, nail clip or groom, I just get it done quickly and hold them firmly so they know we're not messing about.

I think you need to give the rabbit a feeling that you're handling confidently (not hesitantly), and make sure you have them so that they cannot flail about or kick about, as they can damage themselves in the process.

As he's just been neutered he may still be a bit uncomfortable, so I'd give it a bit longer before you start to handle him, and use the time to just sit and let him come to you, or simply get used to you being about.

Back