• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hammies no names yet :)

Having her first piece of broccoli since coming here, shes seemed quite bright, I'm aware the trip to the vets to access her today may make her seem worse than she is also... Ah well gotta be done
79225c007f8f74c1104bc8ff7f08d733.jpg

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

You need vet advice, but I do think there is a lot to be said for trusting your own instincts.

You need vet advice, but I do think there is a lot to be said for trusting your own instincts.
Yea I agree :)

The first night I was very concerned, almost felt like I was being cruel. But then she seemed to look a lot brighter, in the picture above she was half asleep so her eyes are a little shut, but when I look in and she's fully awake and running around her eyes are big and bright, and she eats, drinks, grooms, runs about, still circles a lot tho.. Idk she seems less weak than when I first saw her on Sunday. I think she was dehydrated honestly and she's been enjoying treats and seeds and mill worms, we'll see, would break my heart if she was suffering and that really would decide it I think.

Okay so she's still here, on baytril and loxicom too, vet is thinking she may improve a little? If anyone can tell me how to medicate a hamster... Lemme know [emoji38]

I managed it but it wasn't easy!

Just gunna see how she goes - if she gets worse and can't feed and drink and have fun... Then I'll have to say goodbye. But if she says like this or improves its okay - other one looks healthy. I'm a bit worried about it tbh but we'll see how she goes :)

What did the vet think? Stroke, or could it be congenital, or ear?

I must admit, when I had a dwarf ham on Baytril, there was no way I could syringe it. I gave it on a sweet biscuit. You could also try giving it in the Cow and Gate porridge for 7 months + that I feed Harry the syrian.

Fingers crossed!

What did the vet think? Stroke, or could it be congenital, or ear?

I must admit, when I had a dwarf ham on Baytril, there was no way I could syringe it. I gave it on a sweet biscuit. You could also try giving it in the Cow and Gate porridge for 7 months + that I feed Harry the syrian.

Fingers crossed!

She said it could be a stroke, ear infection or just a neurological issue. Couldn't really be sure.

So I got her by the scruff of the neck and she just sits there and takes the syringes quickly then I put her down and give her a treat... But is that cruel? I'm really not sure, issue is she doesn't always take stuff and eat it... So I'm not sure I could reliably get the meds in her.. Plus the mum wants in on everything [emoji38] they don't know me well enough yet and the little one is so small, she weighs 16 grams.. [emoji38]

No, not cruel. Good on you for getting the stuff into her :)
Ah I'm glad :) the only issue I'm having is one dose is 0.01ml which Is the first small line on the syringe, which is fine... But when you then push it out.. Nothing comes out... The other one is 0.05ml so that ones okay! It's enough that it doesn't just sit in the syringe... Can you get tiny syringes? Where this doesn't happen? [emoji38]

Also my boyfriend just looked at the receipt print out and the vet charged £30 per hammie just to see them before meds or anything! So crazy considering how tiny they are haha

Last edited:
Ah I'm glad :) the only issue I'm having is one dose is 0.01ml which Is the first small line on the syringe, which is fine... But when you then push it out.. Nothing comes out... The other one is 0.05ml so that ones okay! It's enough that it doesn't just sit in the syringe... Can you get tiny syringes? Where this doesn't happen? [emoji38]

Also my boyfriend just looked at the receipt print out and the vet charged £30 per hammie just to see them before meds or anything! So crazy considering how tiny they are haha

I would question that. At every vets I have used, there is a smaller charge for hamsters but often it isn’t used.

You'll never get less than one whole drop from a 1 ml syringe as a dose. I know, it all feels so inexact. If you are concerned that you're over-dosing, you could try the putting it in food thing. Otherwise, the vet needs to either dilute it (eg in blackcurrant juice), or advise you how to dilute it.

I would question that. At every vets I have used, there is a smaller charge for hamsters but often it isn’t used.
Yea Idk my bill yesterday was £110 only about 20 of that was for my bunny, didn't charge for consult only antibiotics because it was connected with her spay. Madness [emoji38]

You'll never get less than one whole drop from a 1 ml syringe as a dose. I know, it all feels so inexact. If you are concerned that you're over-dosing, you could try the putting it in food thing. Otherwise, the vet needs to either dilute it (eg in blackcurrant juice), or advise you how to dilute it.

Yea it's already diluted, I'm not worried I'm overdosing her, the opposite actually, the amount that is needed when you press the thing (onto back of hand for example) nothing comes out because it's all in the 'nib' of the syringe... I'm not explaining this very well I don't think :( could I suck up the 0.01 then suck up something else? Just so when I press the syringe to give her it, some comes out? The other amount is fine as its 0.05 that's fine comes out fine

Yeah, I often think that about the stuff stuck in the bottom of the syringe. I'm going to get a syringe and try it out!

Yeah, I often think that about the stuff stuck in the bottom of the syringe. I'm going to get a syringe and try it out!

edit: I think one drop is 0.02 ml. I don't see how you're getting anything out at 0.01. I think you've got to do one drop. I'd speak to the vets, I think.

edit: I think one drop is 0.02 ml. I don't see how you're getting anything out at 0.01. I think you've got to do one drop. I'd speak to the vets, I think.

Yea that's exactly my issue! Yea I'm gunna have to I think

Okay so nurses suggested sucking up air first, then the amount between two tiny lines... Ima practise with some water first [emoji38]

Last edited:
I still can't see how 0.01 is possible. That said, I think I may have had that dosage years ago for a mouse. :?

Good luck!

Okay so I sucked up the 0.01 then some water so I had about 0.04/5 then gave that. Seemed to work? [emoji38]

Back