• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hammies no names yet :)

Haha! They don't have to be themed! [emoji38]

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
I know but I can't think of any off the top of my head, it's too hot. I liked my Russian ones, I'm sticking with them :D lol

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I can definitely see why you wanted them!
Small squeaking... And laboured breathing... Bit worried, issue is her breathing is always like this... Apparently the vet said its fine... I'm not so sure tho :(

Cant help re breathing, perhaps you could ask on the hamster central forum?

I have two roborovskis (separate). One in a 100 x 54cm cage and one in a 78 x 48cm cage.

They sometimes get overwhelmed by too much space I am told. Pairs often do fall out but perhaps being mother and daughter they will be ok.

A cage with two of everything and all on one level is meant to be best for pairs, also a small cage is said to be better and less likely to lead to territorial fall outs.

Best of luck with your two sweeties.

Last edited:
Cant help re breathing, perhaps you could ask on the hamster central forum?

I have two roborovskis (separate). One in a 100 x 54cm cage and one in a 78 x 48cm cage.

They sometimes get overwhelmed by too much space I am told. Pairs often do fall out but perhaps being mother and daughter they will be ok.

A cage with two of everything and all on one level is meant to be best formpairs, also a small cage is said to be better and less likely to lead to territorial fall outs.

Best of luck with your two sweeties.

Yea they're currently in a small cage because I didn't wanna put them in huge tank incase the disabled one couldn't find food and water. Was gunna see how they went for a few days, but I do have a large spare glass tank. I'm just not sure the little one is going to make it..

Don't really need two of everything as the little one can't use a wheel or anything.. But we'll see.

I was worried so called back to pets at home and someone who wasn't there earlier answered and said if I think she's worse tomorrow they'll arrange a vet appointment. Also said that she was there when they were dropped off, and that the cage they were in was filthy and they couldn't get much information as the lady spoke no English. So sounds like they were both in quite a state honestly :( I'm trying to not get attached and just see how things go.

Ahh! Gosh I hope these two don't fall out... [emoji51][emoji51][emoji51] Feel like the disabled one needs it's mum..

That's a point tho... They reckon the disabled one is a baby... Does that mean the mum will attack it at some point to get rid? Or will they just be okay together..? I need a hamster experts opinion I think [emoji51][emoji38]

Aww I hope the little disabled one will be ok! :(

As for falling out - robos are very social, as all dwarf hamsters are. I imagine mom and baby won't fight - usually fighting occurs due to being territorial/not wanting to share their things. One level is best e.g. a tank or bin. When I was 12 and less knowledgeable I had 2 russian campbell hams in one of those tiny crittertrail cages with levels and only one of everything, and one was bullying the other after awhile, so I had to separate eventually and put one in a tank. If I'd known better I'd have just put them both in the tank together with 2 of everything.

I also tend to think scatter feeding and water bowls are best, but that's my experience, I'm not an expert.

Later on I had a tank with a male/female russian pair (was supposed to be 2 males) for nearly 2 months. They got along great, but I obviously had to separate when the female had babies, or she would've gotten pregnant again! She had 7 babies, so I then kept her with her 2 daughters, and I kept her 5 sons together in another cage (all in bin cages). I was gonna put dad in with his sons, but he had some health issues so I wasn't able to.

There was never any fighting, aggression or bullying at all from the trio or the group of 5. They lived together til the end of their lives and really enjoyed each other's company. Always sleeping together and doing things together :)

So I'm a big supporter of keeping dwarf hams in groups or pairs when possible (of course not always possible when you adopt or buy older hams etc). I love watching them interact and they look so happy and natural together - they live in colonies in the wild. Just because some hams don't get on with each other doesn't mean they aren't social. Humans, bunnies, dogs etc don't all get along with every individual of their species either! lol. especially when kept in less than ideal conditions.

I think with small critter fighting etc, you just have to be ready in case it happens, eg. know where you have an emergency cage etc.

I think with small critter fighting etc, you just have to be ready in case it happens, eg. know where you have an emergency cage etc.

That's a good point, in case of fighting or any other type of emergency where you need an extra cage. Even just a small bin/tank will work in an emergency. :) I have some tanks around for just that purpose of some kind of emergency animal issue.

Hi, I took on 2 male dwarf hammies, brothers and when I moved them to a larger cage, they fell out massively, took chunks out of each other. I had to separate. I’d done everything that had been suggested here, 2 bowls, water etc but they still fought. My neice had 2 sisters that did the same. I think it’s just luck/circumstance as to whether they can stay together, some hammies I know of got on fine. I had kept the small cage so was able to separate (got another big cage now though).
Good luck with these lovelies, hope they get on ok. X

Starshaya -means 'older'
Detka - means 'baby'
Kazakhstani might be similar to Russian? I suspect the person who named them was Russian-ish, and the whole area is near Russia.

I'd 'familiarise' these names to e.g. Staryosha and Detochka. But you might want to go with something really unusual like Mongolian...? I don't know any decent Mongolian names/words.

I keep wondering how the little one is today.
They're okay :) well as okay as the little one can be I guess, she perked up a lot last night, mum was going nuts on the wheel and zooming around and the baby was running in circles lots but then would right herself and get a drink or run over the bendy bridge or get a treat, I'm not sure what my vet will say tomorrow honestly, but they really seem to love each other so it may be hard on the mum if the baby can't stay :(

Also they don't seem to be up all night.. And asleep in the day... They nap then go mad and repeat whatever time it is [emoji38] Gus gets up at 9pm everyday and is asleep by 5am [emoji38]
840e3df687ded8fd44d0767840da93d6.jpg

I had a dwarf hamster who was like that too - crazy and definitely not so sleepy as all my syrians have been!

I have a name suggestion, but it's a bit mean. :lol: Waltzing Matilda. ;)

I had a dwarf hamster who was like that too - crazy and definitely not so sleepy as all my syrians have been!

I have a name suggestion, but it's a bit mean. [emoji38] Waltzing Matilda. ;)
[emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Honestly I'm a bit scared to name them [emoji51] which is also a bit mean I guess. The store named them margo and lola which I don't love haha

Robos are definately more sporadic in their activity than syrian hamsters. The best thing you can do is provide 2 of everything so that they have choice and nothing to squabble over. Hope the little one is ok x

Robos are definately more sporadic in their activity than syrian hamsters. The best thing you can do is provide 2 of everything so that they have choice and nothing to squabble over. Hope the little one is ok x

Yea I've noticed that :) I don't think it'll be necessary if I'm honest to provide two of everything, if it is, I will ofc. Its just the little one can't use a wheel.. Or anything else really, she has been eating and drinking, there's two different types of water bottles in there incase she found one easier than the other. But other than that she can't really do much but run around, they don't seem to squabble, I'm not entirely sure the little one could do anything.. She's very weak, the larger one is often grooming and looking after the little one, and they're always sleeping right next to each other. The little one seems very peaceful today and she was running earlier in a straight line, I'm just very concerned my vet will suggest having her put down tomorrow. We'll see I guess :)

It sounds like the little is doing well and that Mum is caring for her beautifully. I cant imagine that pts would be an option in this case.

Good luck at the vets.

It sounds like the little is doing well and that Mum is caring for her beautifully. I cant imagine that pts would be an option in this case.

Good luck at the vets.
Yea maybe not... I just look at her a feel so sorry for her tho.. Like she can't use the wheel.. Or climb much and just spins and spins sometimes. She does look more peaceful here though so that's something - and she's been drinking easily which is way better than her struggling with the jammed giant bunny sized bottle in the shop - just gunna see what they say :) whatever is best for her I'm cool with

Back