• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Had a terrible emergency vet appointment for Casper and am angry

I would ring the vets and see what they suggest. I can’t remember what I had to give Frosty after his dental but it was 2 or 3 meds. I sympathise because I know it is stressful and worrying:cry:

I would ring the vets and see what they suggest. I can’t remember what I had to give Frosty after his dental but it was 2 or 3 meds. I sympathise because I know it is stressful and worrying:cry:
That's a good idea. I somehow hadn't thought of calling the vets for suggestions... It is stressful and worrying, you're right. :(

Sorry I missed your update yesterday. I really hope he continues to increase the quantity & variety of his foods. Its good to hear he is keeping hydrated now

That's a good idea. I somehow hadn't thought of calling the vets for suggestions... It is stressful and worrying, you're right. :(

If he has any ulcers caused by the spurs they may slow his recovery period down. I’m sure the vets will be able to advise. My vet prescribed Frosty twice daily metacam whilst he got over the dental and the ulcers, that gave a better spread of pain relief.

Sorry I missed your update yesterday. I really hope he continues to increase the quantity & variety of his foods. Its good to hear he is keeping hydrated now
Thank you for hoping, j&b. It's definitely a relief that he's drinking by himself now.

If he has any ulcers caused by the spurs they may slow his recovery period down. I’m sure the vets will be able to advise. My vet prescribed Frosty twice daily metacam whilst he got over the dental and the ulcers, that gave a better spread of pain relief.
His spurs hadn't damaged his mouth yet, so hopefully he doesn't have ulcers, but they've missed them before, so it's possible... :( I just called the vets and the person I spoke to would ask the vet if she has any advice, so I'll hear back from them later, I think. They did say I already have everything I can give him. I'm giving him his Metacam twice a day now, too, yeah, since they said last time that would be okay. Hopefully that means he's not in much pain...

I suppose sometimes spurs/damage can be missed because sometimes they are not visible until they are sedated. Apparently that was the case with Frosty. When he was under the anaesthetic they could see he had huge ulcers. He was on antibiotics too, as a precaution, since they couldn’t see the ulcers to check on them at the post op checks. I hope the vet can give some help.

I suppose sometimes spurs/damage can be missed because sometimes they are not visible until they are sedated. Apparently that was the case with Frosty. When he was under the anaesthetic they could see he had huge ulcers. He was on antibiotics too, as a precaution, since they couldn’t see the ulcers to check on them at the post op checks. I hope the vet can give some help.
Yes, that has happened with Casper, too. It took ages before he could eat normally again. :( This time they didn't see anything during the dental, though, so hopefully they didn't overlook anything. Thank you for hoping the vet can help.

Oh no how disappointing. Hope he manages to stay comfortable tonight.

It is so worrying when they are unwell.

Can you have a feel along Caspers jawline? Does it feel lumpy at all ?

Any sign o runny eyes ?

Sending more vibes for him x

I have used cisapride as a second motility drug. Sending positive vibes for Casper.
Oh, I wonder if that'd help him... Thank you for the vibes, bunny momma.

Can you have a feel along Caspers jawline? Does it feel lumpy at all ?

Any sign o runny eyes ?

Sending more vibes for him x
Thank you for the vibes, too, IM. I checked his jawline when I gave him his weekly check-up on Sunday and I didn't feel any lumpiness, thankfully. He doesn't have runny eyes, either, fortunately. He looks and feels fine.

The vets called me back this morning and they told me the vet had said that we could do blood tests to see if there's something going on with his organs that's making him not hungry, but that it could still be some pain or discomfort from the dental, too, and that I could give him a couple more days to see if it gets better. He's been eating quite a lot of hay today, surprisingly, so I'm giving him some more time, as he seems much better right now. :love:

Oh, I wonder if that'd help him... Thank you for the vibes, bunny momma.

Thank you for the vibes, too, IM. I checked his jawline when I gave him his weekly check-up on Sunday and I didn't feel any lumpiness, thankfully. He doesn't have runny eyes, either, fortunately. He looks and feels fine.

The vets called me back this morning and they told me the vet had said that we could do blood tests to see if there's something going on with his organs that's making him not hungry, but that it could still be some pain or discomfort from the dental, too, and that I could give him a couple more days to see if it gets better. He's been eating quite a lot of hay today, surprisingly, so I'm giving him some more time, as he seems much better right now. :love:

I really hope he will continue to eat more now :love:

Back