• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Gracie NEEDS vibes u/d kidney failure

Sorry to hear that Gracie has kidney failure. :(

I hope her symptoms can be managed successfully.

Causing trouble is always a good sign though!

Thank you everyone.

Gracie has kidney failure :cry:

Got zantac and yet another course of panacur, will do more blood work in a couple of weeks. Ultimatly the prognosis is not good :cry: so im praying symtom control can work long term.

Meanwhile, she has moved from the spare room to the living room and is causing trouble :lol: :love:

I'm sorry it wasn't better news. I'm hoping she can remain strong for a while yet...sounds like she is feeling a little better :love:

Poor Gracie :cry:

As she has a Heart Murmur could the KF be a secondary issue I wonder :?

Did the Vet suggest starting her on Fortekor ? Fortekor is a drug called an ACE inhibitor and it lowers Blood Pressure which would reduce the 'filtering workload' of her Kidneys.

Also, did the Vet give you any dietary advice ?

Thank you for the replies and nice comments.

Jane, The vet did mention a drug which is not used routinly for rabbits, but he said the side effects could make matters worse. He did suggest sending bloods away (they were all inhouse) doing x rays etc, but he said it would not change the prognosis or treatment options, it would just give answers. Im not keen to put her through tests which are not necesary for her health if you know what i mean? I would like urine samples, but Gracie always managed to empty her bladder right before the vet went to check on her, so he could not get a clean sample.

ETA Dietry wise, just whatever she will eat, but try and get extra vit c in the diet.

sorry to hear about gracie. My bunny has just been diagnosed with kf too so I know how you feel!! i have been told a low calcium and phosphate diet will help. We just have to keep them comfy i guess and hope they are strong enough to cope and stay around for some time to come xx

I am so sorry Sharon, Gracie is a beautiful bunny and I remember when we rescued her, she came from dreadful conditions and you have given her such a wonderful life, I am sure you will continue to give her the best care and oodles of love as you always do

Saying lots of prayers for Gracie xx

Thank you for the replies and nice comments.

Jane, The vet did mention a drug which is not used routinly for rabbits, but he said the side effects could make matters worse. He did suggest sending bloods away (they were all inhouse) doing x rays etc, but he said it would not change the prognosis or treatment options, it would just give answers. Im not keen to put her through tests which are not necesary for her health if you know what i mean? I would like urine samples, but Gracie always managed to empty her bladder right before the vet went to check on her, so he could not get a clean sample.

ETA Dietry wise, just whatever she will eat, but try and get extra vit c in the diet.

This may be of interest to you:

http://wildlife1.wildlifeinformation.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/ChronicRenalLagomorph.htm

Back