• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

GI stasis

We took our bunny (4 years) to the vet on Saturday as we noticed he wasn't eating pellets and hadn't pooed. She confirmed early GI stasis.

He has been full of energy and hopping around, eating treats etc. We have been giving him his meds and critical care three times a day. He has been munching himself on veg and started to nibble on his pellets.

This morning he wouldn't take a treat. There was A LOT of poos in his box, however small dark ones. He has been pooing cecetropes. This morning we gave him critical care, his meds and syringe feeder him water.

I'm just wondering what these signs indicate. Is the amount of little poos a good sign? Hes had gi stasis before however he had never behaved like this. Thanks

It's good that you spotted this early, got him treatment, and he is responding. Any poo output is a good sign as it means the guts are recovering. However, they can only poo out if they have sufficient fibre input. As he eats more, things should improve.

You don't mention hay or grass - this should be at least 80% of the bulk of the diet. The long, tough fibres are good for keeping the constantly growing teeth worn down properly, and the guts functioning normally.

It's good that you spotted this early, got him treatment, and he is responding. Any poo output is a good sign as it means the guts are recovering. However, they can only poo out if they have sufficient fibre input. As he eats more, things should improve.

You don't mention hay or grass - this should be at least 80% of the bulk of the diet. The long, tough fibres are good for keeping the constantly growing teeth worn down properly, and the guts functioning normally.

I agree. Also, did the Vet identify any possible cause of the gut stasis ? Dental problems for example ? Whilst treating the Gut Stasis is important if a primary cause is not addressed the problems will not fully resolve.

Some additional info here :

https://www.veterinary-practice.com/article/working-together-on-gut-stasis

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

The only hay he eats are from the boredom breaker bundles. We tried everything to get him to eat from his feeder but he refuses

The only hay he eats are from the boredom breaker bundles. We tried everything to get him to eat from his feeder but he refuses

I agree. Also, did the Vet identify any possible cause of the gut stasis ? Dental problems for example ? Whilst treating the Gut Stasis is important if a primary cause is not addressed the problems will not fully resolve.

Some additional info here :

https://www.veterinary-practice.com/article/working-together-on-gut-stasis

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

There was some hair in one of his early poos. He has been shedding a lot and while we got him professionally groomed hes still shedding. So the vet reckoned it was a hairball.

How long until he recovers? He's getting very cranky getting his critical care!

I put hay in my bunnies' litter trays, they enjoy it being easier to reach, pick up etc. They like to poo and eat at the same time. I also use hayracks which they use when they don't want to be in the tray or don't want what's in the tray (because they've pooed/weed all over it ;P). I'm really tough on my buns too, they only get treats with medication, only veg we've 'discarded' (broccoli stems, middels of kale etc.), about 5-10 pellets each, and have to make do with hay. Tough love :thumb:

Will he eat grass? Or bramble leaves? Both are good for guts and teeth, and readily available at the moment. Or try readigrass - some rabbits will eat that rather than standard hay, then gradually wean him onto standard hay when he has a good hay eating habit.

Rabbits generally drink more when they use a bowl rather than a bottle - which also helps keep things moving through the gut, especially if he is eating mainly pellets at the moment.

Combing him daily (or even just running damp hands through his fur) while he is shedding will also help to reduce the amount of fur he ingests.

My bunny is small, but still takes critical care more than three times a day. Your bunny might need more, or a larger serving, than you think. For hairballs we have seen helpful results with Peters lax smeared on dandelions (or a favorite fresh treat).

I also second the daily combing. We have had no problems with hairballs since we started doing that. Our brush is called a 'furminator' and works very well.

Good luck!

My bunny is small, but still takes critical care more than three times a day. Your bunny might need more, or a larger serving, than you think. For hairballs we have seen helpful results with Peters lax smeared on dandelions (or a favorite fresh treat).

I also second the daily combing. We have had no problems with hairballs since we started doing that. Our brush is called a 'furminator' and works very well.

Good luck!

Warning re Furminator

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...TOR-users-U-D-19-10-2012&highlight=Furminator

Back