• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gi Stasis first timer and I'm worried sick 😭

My 18 month old bunny Cherry is currently in the vets with Gi Stasis. I've done a bit of research into this condition but I'm so worried about her 😔. Friday I realised she hadn't eaten all day, no poops and stayed in one corner of her cage hunched up and grinding her teeth. I knew in my gut something was wrong. I nursed her all night and prayed she would still be alive by morning and thankfully she was. I took her into the vests first thing and they admitted her giving lots of medications to get her stomach moving again, fluids and pain relief. It's been 2 days since she has been admitted and still no signs of pooping or urinating. She has started to eat small amounts of food by herself as well as being syringe fed, and she is still hopping around and seems to have good energy. I'm just worried of she doesn't poop soon this may be the end of my little Cherry and my heart is breaking 💔
Does anyone have any similar experiences, please share 🙏

My 18 month old bunny Cherry is currently in the vets with Gi Stasis. I've done a bit of research into this condition but I'm so worried about her 😔. Friday I realised she hadn't eaten all day, no poops and stayed in one corner of her cage hunched up and grinding her teeth. I knew in my gut something was wrong. I nursed her all night and prayed she would still be alive by morning and thankfully she was. I took her into the vests first thing and they admitted her giving lots of medications to get her stomach moving again, fluids and pain relief. It's been 2 days since she has been admitted and still no signs of pooping or urinating. She has started to eat small amounts of food by herself as well as being syringe fed, and she is still hopping around and seems to have good energy. I'm just worried of she doesn't poop soon this may be the end of my little Cherry and my heart is breaking 💔
Does anyone have any similar experiences, please share 🙏

Hello, I'm sorry that Cherry is unwell :(

From what you have reported I would be happy with the treatment she is receiving at the vets, as long as they have ruled out a blockage by doing a blood glucose test. Syringe feeds should not be given if a blockage is suspected. It does sometimes take a little while for a rabbit to start producing poop again, but I would be somewhat surprised if she has not in fact urinated if she is having syringe feeds. It's a positive sign that she is starting to eat small amounts of food herself and also that she is hopping around.

I hope Cherry starts to improve soon.

Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry your beloved Cherry is poorly. Try to be assured she is in the best place. That she is nibbing for herself now is a positive, as is that she is looking bright & being active. Gut stasis is just gut slowdown, an inevitable consequence of when they stop eating. But they always stop eating for a reason - the gut stasis is a symptom. Often we don't get to know why but exploratory tests can be useful. xrays & blood glucose tests are useful to rule out intestinal blockage. Teeth are another common reason. Is Cherry a good hay eater?

I've had experiences of my rabbits going in to GI stasis over the years. For them to get fully back on track & eating normally has taken anything from hours to just over a week. It does sound like she is making progress. Hopefully she'll start pooping now she is nibbling & being syringe fed. Sending loads of well wishes

You've had good advice. Hopefully she will poo soon - but you can't have output without input, so needs the feeds for the fibre & to keep her guts going, assuming blockage has been ruled out - blood glucose levels give an indication of this, plus the vet should be able to feel if there's anything in the gut. This might be useful:

Figures from Frances Harcourt Brown:

(Blood glucose in mmol/l)

4-8 normal
8-14 possible gut stasis, may be stress induced
15 watch and repeat in 1 hour
15+ - 20 Needs treatment
20+ probable surgical case

Blood glucose readings are not a stand alone diagnostic tool, abdominal palpation and auscultation and abdominal Xrays are also necessary.

I'm so sorry Cherry is ill. It sounds like the vets are taking good care of her. The others have given you good advice already, so I won't repeat that, but I've had bunnies with GI stasis before, and in my experience it really can take a while before everything starts going again, and when it does, sometimes they get worse again before they get better. It can be a bit of a roller coaster, and I know it's such a big worry when our dear bunnies are so ill. But I've had bunnies recover from GI stasis many, many times, so please don't give up hope! Like Omi and j&b said, it's a good sign that she's started to eat a little by herself and is hopping around with good energy. I hope she'll start to feel better very soon and will start eating more and more and will start pooping again.

Sorry your little Cherry is poorly. It’s so horrible, I’ve been there with several bunnies over the years. Once, years ago, my little Freda was so severe that she was in the vet for over four days and they said they might have to put her to sleep if she didn’t pick up by the next day. Fortunately when I visited her she accepted a raisin! And from then on she slowly recovered. I don’t know if others have found this but I find that visiting them at the vet can help, sitting with them and giving them some familiarity seems to relax them slightly - maybe this is just my very old buns who are so set in their ways though.

I really hope Cherry improves quickly.

Hoping that Cherry is feeling a bit better now, and well done for getting her to the vets quickly. Sending lots of vibes for her x

Sending lots of positive vibes. Output requires input, so provided no blockage, syringe feeds is good. Plus syringe feeds will stimulate gut movement.
She should have produced pee, because gi stasis usually involves administration of fluids.
Gi stasis is often the result of another problem, including dental pain or pain from another condition. Has your vet checked your bunny for bladder sludge or stones?
Hugs for you too.

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to reply to me. I am very grateful. We know its not a dental issue as they have checked her teeth and said her teeth are very healthy. I went to visit yesterday, we had lots of cuddles and kisses and I massaged her tummy for her and got her hopping about a bit. I should be hearing from the vets soon and I hope she has produced something. They really are our little babies and I haven't been able to eat or sleep properly until my girl is finally home 😔 I will keep everyone updated, for now I hope and pray with all my heart she makes it 🙏😔

Got off the phone to the vets and this morning she has passed poop 🥰🥰🥰🥰 only a small amount but she's passed some and I couldn't be happier. Just hope she continues now xx

Yay, that's great news that she pooped! I hope she's kept that up today and is feeling a bit better. :love: Thank you for keeping us updated. I'm so glad you could visit her and have cuddles and got her moving around a little. I agree with what Jolysium said, that visiting can help. It gives them the familiarity and reassurance of your presence, and some welcome distraction from their feeling unwell. I remember when my bridge bunny Tom was at the vets for stasis once, they couldn't get him to eat and were so worried about him, but when I visited him with some of his favourite foods he cheered right up and started eating the food I had brought. It really can make a big difference to them.

Yay for Cherry, so pleased she has started pooping:love:

Yay, that's great news that she pooped! I hope she's kept that up today and is feeling a bit better. :love: Thank you for keeping us updated. I'm so glad you could visit her and have cuddles and got her moving around a little. I agree with what Jolysium said, that visiting can help. It gives them the familiarity and reassurance of your presence, and some welcome distraction from their feeling unwell. I remember when my bridge bunny Tom was at the vets for stasis once, they couldn't get him to eat and were so worried about him, but when I visited him with some of his favourite foods he cheered right up and started eating the food I had brought. It really can make a big difference to them.

aww, that is sweet Tom needed the reassurance of your company to start eating :love:

Got off the phone to the vets and this morning she has passed poop �������� only a small amount but she's passed some and I couldn't be happier. Just hope she continues now xx
Being happy about poo is something only us bunny lovers understands.
Well done in taking prompt action and getting her to the vets.
Sending vibes Cherry will continue to do well and soon be back home with you.

Thank you all for your advice, well wishes and just generally keeping my spirits up. You are all lovely people and I am grateful. Spoke again with vets and she's pooing alot more now and eating more independently �������� I can't believe my girl is going to make it. I'm so overjoyed ��������

Back