• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

General Anaesthetic Question

Bella and Chloe when they were spayed - they werent getting the best looking after then either as I didnt know as much - I didnt keep them warm or anything and they were both fine

Evie had GA when Bella ripped her leg and was fine eating away after an hour or so of coming round. If Im honest I think I was worse after GA than any of the buns

There's so many I think we've stopped counting. :lol:

Alfie ~ 1 GA to be neutered, 2 after dislocating his hock.
Bubbles ~ GA to be spayed and 2 since for dental work.

All absolutely fine and very quick recovery afterwards. :)

My bridge bunny, Reggie, developed molar spurs when he was about 6. He had one successful GA dental then.

6 mths later he had another but died the day after the op. :( He was very slow to come round that time, but the vet could also feel masses in his tummy which indicated tumours of some kind, so that could have contributed to his passing.

That was about 6 yrs ago though, so GA's and vet knowledge may well have advanced considerably since then too.

Most have mine have just had the one for GA. A couple have had ops for abscesses/an injury, but never more than two. All recoveries fine - bar Flint who really felt sorry for himself, but did recover eventually

Lost one foster during spay

Polly(styrene) = 5 abcess removals + 1 spey

Dylan = 2 abcess removals + 1 neuter

Eli = 1 to sew up after a fight (i rescued him from it as was going to be PTS) + 1 neuter + 1 tummy op

Dot = 1 spey

Buddy = 1 neuter

Maisie = 1 spey

Blousy = 1 spey

Tallulah = 1 spey

Molly had one when she was spayed, and Brian had one for his neuter and one for a dental. Both had no problems whatsoever.

My boy was neutered with no problems at all, it is a worry though whenever a pet is at the vets, my girl is going for a spay soon, which is a much bigger op, I really do not want to put her through it but the risks of spay are much lower than the risk of cancer, she is a wonderful cuddle bun too.

Current rabbits ...

Chloe was spayed and had one dental - she was fine after the spay but needed a bit of syringe feeding for a few days after dental.
Jessica has been spayed and was fine.
Otis has been castrated and was fine.
Sophie was spayed before i got her. ;)

Sadly lost after op ...

Peter had a castration and was fine. He then had four dentals. After each dental he needed lots of care and went into stasis twice. He died at the vets before coming around from his fouth dental. :cry::evil:

Last edited:
Starlight- one- neuter and was fine

Shadow-four- neuter, and three abscess removals. Every time she has been
fine and eating as soon as she came round.

Moonshine- two- neuter and tail amputation. She needed a gut stimulant post spay but was fine for her amputation

Storm- two- neuter and a wart removal on her lip. She has been fine both times

Twilight- one- neuter which went fine

Scraggles- one- neuter which went fine

Muffin- six- neuter, 3 incisor removal ops (regrowth two times) and two tear duct flushes

Crumpet- one- neuter which went fine

Bridge buns:

Autumn- one- neuter which went fine
Waffle- about 12- neuter and around 11 for monthly dentals. He recovered fine from all.

On average, all rescue buns only needed neuters, of which I have only had two deaths post-op (out of around 200 buns)

Ben, Jack, Timmy, and Izzy, all neutered.. There was some problem getting Ben and Timmy to eat after they came home but I have no idea what caused it. It could have been the stress or pain meds.

I went back through the last 4 years and we have had 150 GA's. Obviously some where pts while under as the diagnostics revealed untreatable problems :( But many were dentals or x-rays on very elderly buns who were absolutely fine :)

eric has had a few - nose surgery, neuter and a fair few dentals. i've had a couple of shaky episodes with him after a ga but with eric, i'm sure its more to do with the stress of being away from home.

the 2 that esme has had with me haven't been so great. the first one caused the breakdown in the bond btw her and eric and with her dental last summer, she came round fine but then went into stasis and took quite a while to get sorted.

she's due in for a check up on tuesday and i already feel sick:(

however, having seen eric quite poorly with what turned out to be dental pain from a tiny, 'invisible to the eye' spike, i won't hesitate to get them attended to by my vet. i trust her completely.

Honey 1 neuter and 2 hernia ops recovered quickly and on the last two pooed straight after op.

Frankie 1 neuter, 1 xray fine 2nd xray had to be bought round quicker but does have respiratory problems.

Merlin 1 neuter and presume xrays at rescue

Wesley 1 neuter at rescue

Akasma 1 neuter at rescue

Diego 1 neuter at rescue

Past bun

Sooty 1 neuter fine after a day

Mrs Bun, one ga for neuter.
BB, one GA for pocket picking
Lily-Shane one ga for xray
Roland, 2 ga..one for pocket picking and one dental as far as im aware.
so 5.
Mrs Bun was readmitted as she wouldnt eat for me and i had to go to work so really the vet did a baby sitting job.....:roll:

I think you posted a photo of him on a thread not so long ago? That must have been very sad for you. :( Did he have any underlying condition?

Sadly no, he was fit and healthy, and only 1 year old. Could have been a not so great vet though, but he was the only one on the island at the time.

I'm plucking up the courage to take my girls for their spays, but determined to find an excellent vet first. :D

Marmite - 4, neutered, removal of abscess and each eye on seperate occassions due to glaucoma.
Monti - 2, neutered and dental abcess behind his eye (he died under the second but the abcess made him very poorly so the vets forewarned me it may happen)
Milo - 1, neutered
Jasper - 2, neutered and xrays

I was originally really worried about having my first bun put under anaesthetic. It's natural for you to worry ;)

Back