• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

General Anaesthetic Question

Binky at least 5.

Feegal 4.

Sally 1.

Tiesto 1.

Tulip 3. Please remember that Tulip was a super ill bun through all of those three and came through fine all times:D

Get the poor boy done:thumb:

So that's 684 add my 14=

Please excuse any maths errors:oops:

Castrating a male is such a small op compared to a spay as well. Maybe a poll on how many healthy bucks died under a GA for a castration too:?

just wanted to add as well, none of us is trying to make you feel bad or anything, or force you or anything like that.

i totally understand your fears, i had the same fears with snowball until people here made me see that it was just what was best for him :)

Barney - 1 for neuter,
he recovered okay but refused to drink so had to syringe feed him liquids for a week, edit: just to add he ate fine though

705+1 = 706

Last edited:
Another two from me.

My girls were a bit quieter than usual afterwards, and ate about half the amount of food they normally do, but the next day BAM! They were back :D

So that's 708

Thanks guys! :wave:

susie, my vet said when I asked him about neutering that only 0.0005% of rabbits die under anesthetic and most rabbits that do die have breathing problems, so they always check their breathing before putting them under to be on the safe side.

Hope that helps :)

I will spend some time going back over notes later as we have had 100's of GA's done, most of them on sick bunnies.

In 12 years we have only ever lost 2 under GA for no apparent reason. We have also only lost 2 others during neutering but both were disabled bunnies which we knew desperately wanted company so had to take the risk.

susie, my vet said when I asked him about neutering that only 0.0005% of rabbits die under anesthetic and most rabbits that do die have breathing problems, so they always check their breathing before putting them under to be on the safe side.

Hope that helps :)

That's interesting. :) For those who don't know, Spenser is my first pet, and I've found it difficult to make the decision becuase he shows virtually no hormonal symptoms (he's about 18 months old now) and is not particularly likely to have a partner any time soon due to the size of his accomodation. I am all too aware, though, that the longer I put it off the worse it will be when the time comes.

Grim stopped eating after his neuter. That was at a different vets to the one I use now. :?
At my new vets he's had lots for all his dental problems. Only one problem when he stopped breathing for five minutes. Obviously that was a huge problem but my vets are awesome and got him through it. Since then he's had a couple more with no complications. I don't know how many in total.

Smoo has had one in my care to remove a cyst which went smoothly.

My darling Ginger Bun must have had a good 15 GA's, and he never had a problem coming round afterwards. Pickles had a fair few as well. I think they are generally ok, unless there are underlying health conditions.

That's interesting. :) For those who don't know, Spenser is my first pet, and I've found it difficult to make the decision becuase he shows virtually no hormonal symptoms (he's about 18 months old now) and is not particularly likely to have a partner any time soon due to the size of his accomodation. I am all too aware, though, that the longer I put it off the worse it will be when the time comes.

If it's likely he'll need to go under for examination on his teeth you should ask to get him neutered then, so it's all done at once. When I had Dexter he needed his front teeth to be taken out. I asked my vet (last minute) if it was possible to neuter him at the same time and she said as long as he was having no trouble under the anaesthetic it only takes ten minutes so it should be fine. I got him back safe and sound if not a little grumpy that we had removed both his manhood and his rabbithood.

If it's likely he'll need to go under for examination on his teeth you should ask to get him neutered then, so it's all done at once. When I had Dexter he needed his front teeth to be taken out. I asked my vet (last minute) if it was possible to neuter him at the same time and she said as long as he was having no trouble under the anaesthetic it only takes ten minutes so it should be fine. I got him back safe and sound if not a little grumpy that we had removed both his manhood and his rabbithood.

Mini was also spayed and xrayed at the same time. :thumb: She did choose a good time to break her hip really! Just coming up to 6 months old. ;)

Trying to keep count. 708 plus Stators 3 and Hoppits 15.

Nancy had 3. 1 for ear reconstruction after her ear ripped off by a fox.
another 1 ten days later for necrosis 1 for dental

Sunshine 1 for neutering

Boy Bunny 1 for neutering

so 5

731 plus Hugo's There 100's.

Last edited:
a lot!!!

Probably about 60 plus????

Comfrey has one every 2 months for teeth, Parsley is always needing something done - leg or lumps or abscess or ears or . . . (sigh), they have all been neutered and spayed, Willow had gut surgery, Damson had his kidney out, - I still panic horribly though! We did loose one little one though - but vets strongly suspected underlying problems.

Back