• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

FOXES......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Foxes love urban areas due to the amount of avalible food. If you dare to leave any binbags out the night before collection round my way then next morning the contents will have been dragged down the road. I live in a perfect area for foxes with a country park on one side of our village and houses on the other. I will ofen see 3/4 foxes every evening on the way home and seen them ion my garden a few times. :?

I have seen a hutch that has been smashed open by foxes and the two piggies inside taken. My bunny never goes outside without me there and lives indoors. I never leave doors open or windows even in the summer.
My parents had 8 chickens killed by the fox in the space of 1/2 hr also so i know what they are like!!

:cry:

This said I love foxes and think they are beautiful creatures but nature is cruel and thats how it has always been.

How anyone can consider hurting a fox and claim to love animals is beyond me!

I have had rabbits since I was 5 years old & before I had a clue how to keep mine safe, I would estimate losing at least 4 to foxes.
But even then, although upset, I never condemned the fox for what it did, its NATURE for crying out loud. Why should a fox (or any other carnivorous animal) be seen as a monstrous killer? It's only doing what it's instincts tell it to do!

I live in Harlow which is a quite sizable town surronded by woods, fields and forest so foxes are rife. My rabbits are freerange garden dwellers, they are let out at 7.30am & go to bed at dusk. Vinnie is 9 yrs old now & his wifey is 5. The reason my buns don't get attacked?(and yes i know some of u will say they are just lucky, but vin has lived in 6 diff gardens & lovage in 4)
They aren't out before dawn & after dusk(which altho many foxes are around all day, its usually the weaker ones who are confused and ill and wander around aimlessly) and the foxes are well fed out the front of my house by me & my neighbour.

If my rabbit is killed by a fox, then yes i would be (& have been) horrified & distressed that my bun died in that way(then again it's be alot quicker than cancer or some horrific infection that went on for days/weeks) but there's no way i'd be after the foxes blood!!!!

Foxes rock, so do rabbits
:mrgreen:

JCO said:
I am absolutely SURE the b-l-o-o-d-y foxes kill for the fun of it :evil: :evil: I am ANTI fox-hunting BUT there has to be a humane means of pest control..... I am heartily SICK of people who think it is OK to leave food out for foxes cos the foxes are 'looking a bit thin'. They are WILD ANIMALS for goodness sake and feeding them just causes a multitude of problems. I now live in a state of seige since November 2004 as the urban Foxes have become so tame they think nothing of entering a house. If we mess with nature....ie feed foxes...we, or rather our pet HOUSE-RABBITS pay the price :cry: :cry: I am NOT trying to be provocative to those who believe encouraging (ie FEEDING) Foxes is a good thing to do. All I am saying is P-L-E-A-S-E think of the potential consequences :cry: :cry: Jane and Buns xx

No offence, but WE messed with nature by urbanising the countryside & taking over huge amounts of the foxes habitat. Its not their fault they have been pushed into living in urban area's & it's not their fault food is scarce, again through habitat destruction of wild rabbits, water voles, harvest/field mice etc.
If I (& my neighbours) don't feed the foxes, our binbags on collection night will be ripped to shreds & our rabbits will be more likely to be attacked.
We pushed foxes to encrouch on our lives so it's our duty to help them do as minimal damage as possible as far as im concerned....

Alfie kennedy said:
Is fox repellent any good???

If u don't have a dog yourself(foxes are less likely to enter a garden if your dog wee's/poo's regularly out there) then borrow someones every week to go pee and it may help?

Hi Leanne,

I have heard of alot of people feeding fox's and that has kept their rabbits and chickens safe.

I dont personally get fox's in my garden (occassionally at night) but want to deter them as much as possible - just in case!.

Fox's do have a right to live, etc however entering somone's home is terrible, i was very shocked to read that and coming home to find what Jane did is extremely distressing.

When fox's start entering your house, thats when something seriously needs to be done.

foxes

I would like to pont out that i would NEVER hurt an animal :( but i do have lots of furmonsters (foxes) coming into my garden :( they also come into the house given the chance which is one of the reason that i no longer keep housebunnies :( I do feed the foxes as it,s the only way i can get them to go away :( otherwise they will hang around all day :( I had a bunny taken about a year ago by a vixen & it was awful :( in summer my garden stinks from their wee :( I have to warn my family to be careful where they tread as there is mess everywhere :( I know they are only following their instincts but at one time they would not venture into town :( urban foxes are totally different from feral ones as they have no fear :( it,s us bunny owners that have to live in fear :( :evil:

I love the bit at the bottom of Leanne's posts

'u can't stop the waves... but u can learn to surf...'

Yep, that's life!

Rabswood

rabswood said:

Yep, that's life!

Rabswood

:D :D :D Yep ain't that just life eh :!: :!: - spot on :!: -

I think this is always an emotive subject and I'm an avid animal lover of all animals including I'm afraid to say Foxes.

I studied them in some depth at our previous house where they had been in residence for some 10 years or so - I've never really encountered problems with them and at that time Buffy and my G.Piggs were kept in the Garden but their hutch was like a fortress at night and fully enclosed so they couldn't see the fox let alone the fox get the opportunity to get in to them.

I know its difficult as were all learning all the time about pet care but as responsible pet owners we surely have a responsibility to ensure that our pets are as well protected as possible.

Its logical to assume that you'll never stop the natural instinct of foxes, but I looked to put the hutch on an enclosed patio area which the foxes obviously felt uncomfortable with so seldom ventured down that far - its nothing can ever be 100% I guess but prevention really does help.

bunnytales said:
rabswood said:

Yep, that's life!

Rabswood

:D :D :D Yep ain't that just life eh :!: :!: - spot on :!: -

I think this is always an emotive subject and I'm an avid animal lover of all animals including I'm afraid to say Foxes.

I studied them in some depth at our previous house where they had been in residence for some 10 years or so - I've never really encountered problems with them and at that time Buffy and my G.Piggs were kept in the Garden but their hutch was like a fortress at night and fully enclosed so they couldn't see the fox let alone the fox get the opportunity to get in to them.

I know its difficult as were all learning all the time about pet care but as responsible pet owners we surely have a responsibility to ensure that our pets are as well protected as possible.

Its logical to assume that you'll never stop the natural instinct of foxes, but I looked to put the hutch on an enclosed patio area which the foxes obviously felt uncomfortable with so seldom ventured down that far - its nothing can ever be 100% I guess but prevention really does help.
BUT WHEN THE FOX COMES INTO ONES HOUSE AND DECAPITATES AND DISEMBOWELS YOUR HOUSE-RABBIT..........SORRY TOO EMOTIVE FOR ME JUST NOW. Outdoor Fox attacks are one thing but when they enter a domestic property.....the rules of engagement have truely changed.... Again, sorry, but having seen my beloved House-Rabbit decapitaed and disembowled kind of puts me off Foxes...... Jane and Buns and ALWAYS remembering my beautiful Castor Rex Ronan xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hiya, I am sorry but feel it appropriate to now lock this thread, as it is upsetting people .

Best wishes
ADMIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back