• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

FOXES......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Foxes do kill for fun. Having been brought up on a farm I have had plenty of experiences with foxes.

Last year Mr Bump got attacked by a fox in our garden in broad daylight. My OH heard Mr Bump screaming and ran outside, he literally had to wrestle Mr Bump from the fox's mouth and ended up getting bitten by the fox.

In the end it got to the point where I couldn't let my bunnies out in the garden without constant supervision. We ended up moving house in the end as I got so fed up with it.

I know it is natural for foxes to kill but we had the South Downs literally 10 mins walk from our house and there are plenty of rabbits up there for the foxes to go after.

When we took Mr Bump to the vets, the vet said there was a real problem with foxes in the town and that they were hunting in packs (apparently not natural fox behaviuor) and even attacking cats :shock:

I called up the council to see if there was anything they could do to get rid of the foxes and they put me onto the fox society who proceeded to tell me how I was cruel for keeping rabbits and the foxes had every right to kill my bunnies. I won't tell you the words I used to end the conversation :evil:

I think town foxes are becoming a pest and it won't be too long (if not already) that they are classed as vermin.

Foxes do it for chase but I know they also eat rabbit as well. I highly doute foxes pick out a rabbit, they just go for whatever is closest. We had 1 regular fox come in our garden to check out my rabbits. But they were in a bird aviary in hutches so they were well secure. One night it got hit by a car right out side our front gate, must have got run over before even making it to our garden. Toby has also been chased by a fox. I ran out screaming and I was chasing the fox and the fox was chasing toby :roll: As horrible as it is, its still nature and not really the foxes fault. I would never call a fox "Vermin".

:( :( A year and 3 days since the death of Ronan by the Fox who came into my house. :( :( ...well, I am anti-Fox hunting BUT urban Foxes are an increasing nuisance, :evil: personally,and for obvious reasons, I HATE them. :evil: Coming into a domestic property to kill is, in my opinion a step too far. :evil: I cant even leave a downstairs window open unless I am in the room. As I say, anti-hunting....but URBAN FOXES MUST BE CONTROLLED(AS MUST THE BLOOMIN' PEOPLE WHO INSIST ON LEAVING FOOD OUT FOR THEM...Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!) Jane and Buns....Love and miss you Ronan Rabbitxx :( :(

JCO said:
:( :( A year and 3 days since the death of Ronan by the Fox who came into my house. :( :( ...well, I am anti-Fox hunting BUT urban Foxes are an increasing nuisance, :evil: personally,and for obvious reasons, I HATE them. :evil: Coming into a domestic property to kill is, in my opinion a step too far. :evil: I cant even leave a downstairs window open unless I am in the room. As I say, anti-hunting....but URBAN FOXES MUST BE CONTROLLED(AS MUST THE BLOOMIN' PEOPLE WHO INSIST ON LEAVING FOOD OUT FOR THEM...Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!) Jane and Buns....Love and miss you Ronan Rabbitxx :( :(

Awww Hunny *hugs*. I know it’s awful and it’s not your fault you weren’t to know – none of us expect them to come into our homes. But I suppose if they smell food they will do. I still don’t think it’s the foxes fault, I mean they don’t know any better, they aren’t intelligent animals really. As you say, its people that are bringing them closer to us with food. So maybe its the people who are to blame not the foxes. :(

Hi Toby,

I live in Surbiton and fortunately (fingers crossed) i have not seen any fox's in our garden or any evidence of one, i don't hear them either.

I am just interested where abouts you live as i wasn't aware that there were alot of fox's in Surbiton and now im a bit worried having read about your Toby being chased by a fox :shock:

JCO said:

Aww, I really feel for you :cry: and must admit I share the same feelings with regards to urban foxes. I grew up in the country and love seeing foxes in the countryside. They are v clever as well - the foxes we had problems with knew exactly when the rabbits were going to be let out and had no fear of humans. They didn't act like normal foxes either i.e. no fear of humans, attacking cats..

butieful animals, but a pain in the bum. they dig up anything i buery in the garden. even on of my mice.

Now I really do think action must be taken re urban Foxes. My elderly neighbour's little Yorkie has been attacked by a Fox :( that is being fed by a woman who lives up the road. :roll: The Yorkie is 14 years old deaf and partially sighted. :( She is utterly traumatised by the Fox attack and is, as I type, at the Vets on an IV drip being treated for bite wounds and shock. :( :( WHY OH WHY DO PEOPLE LEAVE FOOD OUT TO ENCOURAGE FOXES INTO GARDENS.....IT MAKES ME SO ANGRY!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: Jane and Buns xx

foxes

Hi jane :) the foxes that come into my garden have built a den in next doors garden at the bottom :( the entrance is just a few feet from my fence so they come out straight into mine :( my neighbour dosn,t bother much with her garden & its become jungly so is perfect for them to live in :( she knows that they are living there but has not tried to get rid of them :( both vixens are pregnant again so will be having more babies soon :( once they have given birth they are desperate for food & so dangerous to bunnies :evil: I have 6 now so soon there will be lots more to contend with :(

Hi jane the foxes that come into my garden have built a den in next doors garden at the bottom the entrance is just a few feet from my fence so they come out straight into mine my neighbour dosn,t bother much with her garden & its become jungly so is perfect for them to live in she knows that they are living there but has not tried to get rid of them both vixens are pregnant again so will be having more babies soon once they have given birth they are desperate for food & so dangerous to bunnies I have 6 now so soon there will be lots more to contend with

what a worry for you. How about trying one of those devices that send out a high pitch signal??

Its a real shame that the council can't do anything about it.

Its infuriating that they are just allowed to live/mess in people's gardens and we are just supposed to accept this! I know they have a right to live but they need to be controlled - are they controlled in any way or will they just breed and breed :shock:

Now I really do think action must be taken re urban Foxes. My elderly neighbour's little Yorkie has been attacked by a Fox that is being fed by a woman who lives up the road. The Yorkie is 14 years old deaf and partially sighted. She is utterly traumatised by the Fox attack and is, as I type, at the Vets on an IV drip being treated for bite wounds and shock. WHY OH WHY DO PEOPLE LEAVE FOOD OUT TO ENCOURAGE FOXES INTO GARDENS.....IT MAKES ME SO ANGRY!!!!!! Jane and Buns xx

Poor dog - how awful :cry:

Alfie kennedy said:
Hi jane the foxes that come into my garden have built a den in next doors garden at the bottom the entrance is just a few feet from my fence so they come out straight into mine my neighbour dosn,t bother much with her garden & its become jungly so is perfect for them to live in she knows that they are living there but has not tried to get rid of them both vixens are pregnant again so will be having more babies soon once they have given birth they are desperate for food & so dangerous to bunnies I have 6 now so soon there will be lots more to contend with

what a worry for you. How about trying one of those devices that send out a high pitch signal??

Its a real shame that the council can't do anything about it. The council say that they can only remove a DEAD Fox.... :roll: The RSPCA say they cant do anything... :roll: The Fox Project say, basically if I dont want Foxes I shouldn't keep Rabbits...!!! :shock: :roll: AND the FP refuse to believe a Fox came into my home OR that a Fox attacked a dog..... I am thoroughly pee'd off with it all :evil: :evil: . Plus was in Tesco yesterday and Fox feeding woman was stocking up with dog food....She doesn't have a b***** dog so I guess it's for the Foxes. :evil: :evil: Sorry, rant over!! :D I tried the sonic Fox deterent but is the Fox 'bovered'....NOPE!! :roll: :roll: Jane and Buns xx

Oh my god Jane.

Have you told this lady that by her feeding the fox's its putting her rabbits in danger???

How infuriating that the RSPCA and Council are so useless!

Well i've seen the end product of my big'n' beautiful french lop mutilated by foxes & she was in a shed fully enclosed in a dog cage!!

I've always had the same outlook as Toby but seeing my rabbit in a gnawed-up rigor-mortised bloody mess made me feel a little less amiable towards them! Especially as they kept coming back for more (although they never got any more of mine!) My husband had one staring at him on the patio the night after.

After that they used to defecate on top of my outdoor hutches to mark the rabbits as 'theirs'. They still poo & pee all over my rubbish, which absolutely STINKS.

We had a cat in at the vets yesterday that had a fight with a fox & had puncture holes in his head.

I'm anti fox hunting but they are definately a bloody nuisance & getting too confident by the day!

foxes

Hi jane :) I am with you on this one :) know how you feel i have tried both the RSPCA & enviramental health :( got the same treatment as you did :( they really dont want to know :evil: as long as they can fob you off then they will ignore any pleas for help to control the blo--y things :evil: I told them that they were trying (&had got) to kill my bunnies & the woman told me not to keep bunnies then blo--y cheek :evil: there must be some form of control otherwise we will be overrun with them :( they smell awful & wee & mess all over the garden Ggggrrr it makes me so angry :x

We regularly have foxes prowlin our garden n we r semi urban!

They got n killed my beautiful little boy,Tyke which gutted me, I also have to say they didnt eat him. He was intact with only a small pierce on his little body from its teeth so it didnt kill for food, it did it for fun n torment. They keep coming back but now im really strict about the free time my buns get cos i couldnt cope if it happened again.

They have a wooden wendy house with padlocks and a run which is sectioned off at night cos the fox would probably get in that.

I hate foxes, i know they need to eat n i dont blame them for that. To be honest if he had eaten tyke id understand more but he didnt, he killed him for no reason then dropped him n tried to get the others but luckily they had hidden.

I have no sympathy for them now, esp the ones that still come round everynight and if i see one again i wouldnt hestitate on hurting it if i could. Ive thrown small rocks at the ones i catch but they dont even care they r so stubborn, please dont say its for food as ive proof its not in this case.

I am absolutely SURE the b-l-o-o-d-y foxes kill for the fun of it :evil: :evil: I am ANTI fox-hunting BUT there has to be a humane means of pest control..... I am heartily SICK of people who think it is OK to leave food out for foxes cos the foxes are 'looking a bit thin'. They are WILD ANIMALS for goodness sake and feeding them just causes a multitude of problems. I now live in a state of seige since November 2004 as the urban Foxes have become so tame they think nothing of entering a house. If we mess with nature....ie feed foxes...we, or rather our pet HOUSE-RABBITS pay the price :cry: :cry: I am NOT trying to be provocative to those who believe encouraging (ie FEEDING) Foxes is a good thing to do. All I am saying is P-L-E-A-S-E think of the potential consequences :cry: :cry: Jane and Buns xx

I feel distressed when I read some of the postings, some people say they hate foxes or would hurt them if they could. I think that's very sad especially from people who I would expect to be animal lovers.

Having a pet animal killed by another animal is a terrible and shocking thing for the owners and I really sympathise with all the people who have lost a bunny in this way, it must be truely heart breaking. (I once had 2 piggies killed by a neighbours terrier - the neighbous beat the terrier and tied her up for the day which was as distressing for me as finding the dead piggies)

Things like this happen because it's NATURE. The killing and sometimes leaving animals behind un-eaten animal is not for pleasure or torture, only humans act that way. Don't label animals as evil, thinking, planning, pre-meditated murders. Only the human animal is capable of that.

If foxes know bunnies are in your garden of course they will visit, foxes come into my garden, its my job to make sure Rabsville is secure and Mr Fox can't see my rabs to freak them out.

So come on folks give natue a break.

And from the bottom of my heart I send my best wishes to those of you who have experienced a loss of a bunny in this way.

Rabswood, Lavender, Oxo & Pippin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back