• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

FOXES......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now I'm really glad I live in australia and in a rural area. I would be horrified knowing that foxes come into the backyard and can come into the house, I wouldn't sleep at night :cry:

I've seen foxes near my house which is very worrying. According to the league against cruel sports website some fox hunts encorage foxes by building them safe places to live and feeding them so they will have plenty to hunt. Now hunting with dogs has been banned this practice will stop and the number of foxes may actually decrease.

JCO said:
But nowadays Urban Fox are fearless (made worse by well meaning but ignorant people leaving dog food out for them).

Firstly let me say I am so sorry to hear what happened to your bun.

I think urban foxes are totally different to the rural fox. urban foxes are braver, they know where the food is and don't care who sees them taking it

I live in a semi rural area and we are surrounded by feilds and woods and very rarely see them.

About eight years ago I was in the kitchen washing up it was about 9pm and I saw this very thin scruffy fox going round the bird table looking for scraps he did this for nights ... In the end I started to feed him, I don't think this makes me an ignorant person, he was very thin and in need of food, the winter was coming and in my opinion he needing building up.

I could not deny him some simple food ... he visted for a few months and then we didnt see him again. I would like to think he was well enough and went on to fiind himself a family and didnt feel the need to visit me again... but who knows :roll:

I think that the main difference is the lack of fear of humans, in a town a fox sees plenty of them so the fear goes away, out in the country they see far less of us so the fear remains.

Sorry to hear about Ronan. When I lived at my Nans I use to put food out for the foxes, I would still feed the foxes now, but of course I can't attract them because of my bunnies.

I just read a few comments and sorry but I've got to stick up for the foxes.

We as a nation have built over green belt land, there are very few rural areas left now, what are the foxes to do? They need to eat and survive the sames as all other domestic and wild life. We can't dig all their natuaral habbitat up and complain because they are now living "in our areas". The ares we live in now, use to belong to every species including the foxes, just us as ignorant humans believe we have the right to claim everything as our own and kill animals we don't like and destroy their homes.

I love the bunnies and if a fox ever took one I would be deverstated. I am also for the foxes and to say I'm ignorant for feeding them and helping them have some change in this life is I am afraid ignorant too :no:

PS they are fearless not by choice, but by hunger.

I couldnt agree with you more Tree, as an animal lover I love ALL the animals, we just have to play safe with the ones we own and protect them from the ones who are trying to do what comes naturally.

Now I am in the town I hate not seeing as much of the wild animals, we dont really get urban foxes around here any foxes are very much wild.

Ohhh to live in the country again :( I miss it

I've always been a town girl, until 18 months ago when we moved out here. Just us in a field! People think it's too isolated, but the village is only half a mile away and the animals I've seen, and things I've learnt whilst being here is wonderful. The most special was a mummy mole with her babies, taking them all to safety.

I have to agree with Tree, Cazza and 5cutebunnies, the foxes can't help it if their natural habitat has been concreted over, and although I would hate one of them to get to my buns, I would not want to be responsible for a fox suffering starvation. We have one or two that come in the garden (its near some fields) I dont encourage them, but I know my neighbour puts out food and I dont mind. If the fox can get easy food next door, then as my buns are in the shed anyway I feel confident they are safe. The fox is only trying to survive the best he can, and if we leave his prey in a nice enclosed area, you can hardly blame him for having a go....I know its awful, but thats nature

That's a good point Sally. If the foxes aren't hungry because they're being fed elsewhere, they'll be less likely to be looking for other food sources.

yep country living is great, in fact I was watching a repeat of Grand designs the other night, it was the guy who lives and works in the woods, spent tn years living in tents :shock: and he built a house out of wood and all the things in the wood, it was DEVINE!!!! he totally lives off the land, I was so so jealous, he also now has a wife and baby ohh his life looks just my cup of tea...I should be a hermit :lol:

I really worry about fox's, there are a few near where i live, I have only seen one at night time none during the day.

My garden is tiny so there would be no need for a fox to go into it, and Alfie's hutch is as bunny proofed as it can be, but i am sure a fox could still get in.

My garden backs on to a very busy road and i live opposite a doc's surgery with cars going in and out so would be surprised if one would enter my garden during daylight, ive certainly never seen one. Still a worry though but what can you do??!!

Sorry, but I hate Foxes. If Ronan had been left unattended out in the garden then of course I could not blame the Fox for killing him But he was IN MY KITCHEN ...the Fox jumped into the window, onto the draining board,(I assume from all the things that were knocked over) jumped onto the floor and killed Ronan. The fox left Ronan's head and front leg for me to find....So very sorry if my dislike of Foxes has offended people and my particular dislike of the feeding of Foxes by humans. But scooping up the remains of a much loved rabbit from the kitchen floor has effected me badly. Foxes coming into urban areas is the fault of human interference with the rural environment.Foxes coming into the house is the fault of people who insist on feeding them. How long before Urban Foxes start behaving like the Dingos in Australia who strayed into cities, were fed by people,started entering homes and then came reports of babies/small children being attacked.Foxes are wild animals...'survival of the fittest' applies To semi-domesticate them is not doing them any favours. JCO

obviously I can see why you have a hate for them, what a terrible experience for you :(

I find it amazing that these animals become so unfearful that they come right in like that, as I say, the foxes around here are very much wild, and you just dont see them in the towns (the towns being pretty small and country like ) we are quite a rural place all in all so the wild animals stay wild.

this may seem a daft question but how many years has this been a problem? Is it a more recent thing that they are less worried by humans

...I'd say it's got worse over the last 2-3 years. I think I'll move back to Shetland.....Never saw a Fox there. Only bunnies (sharing their cliff top burrows with Puffins during the summer :D ) Otters and loads of Seals. Got a wee bit windy up there though!! :lol: JCO xx

cazza269 said:
yep country living is great, in fact I was watching a repeat of Grand designs the other night, it was the guy who lives and works in the woods, spent tn years living in tents :shock: and he built a house out of wood and all the things in the wood, it was DEVINE!!!! he totally lives off the land, I was so so jealous, he also now has a wife and baby ohh his life looks just my cup of tea...I should be a hermit :lol:

It was great, wasn't it? I love that programme anyway, but that was a fantasitc design and build. We try and grow as much as we can here, but there's no way we could be self-suficient like that!

:shock: :shock: :shock: well I just detest those pesky foxes, they keep me quaking in my paws at night with their barking around where I live :( :(
Mummy has ensured my hutch is fox proof, firstly by popping the hutch inside a walk in pen, and secondly by addition of padlock to my door.
trouble is, I cannot sneak out at night to find a lady friend, now I am of that age :wink: :? :roll: :roll: :!: :!:
Love Wilbur Wabbit

Awwwwwwwww Wilbur, perhaps your Mum and Dad might get you a cuddly doe-bunster :? (as long as you've had your 'bits' done :oops: ....Ouch!!) JCO xx :D

I've never seen a fox here (I'm in the Manchester suburbs)...but it's worrying, especially since I'm sat here with my window open, a window I'm sure something fox-sized could easily jump though (and something human sized too, come to think of it!).

We have hundreds of super-tame squirrels though, the things will run along the street next to you!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back