• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

FOXES......

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure foxes are getting bolder/more aggressive. I grew up backing onto a golf course and we always had foxes in our garden. From when I was 11 we always had rabbits as well, and they were always in a hutch attached to a run. With the benefit of hindsight it wasn't terribly secure - chicken wire not welded mesh, a flip-up hinged lid (not locked), no base and just a couple of flimsy hooks to attach it to the hutch. We never lost a rabbit to a fox in all those 8 years.

Now I live in the middle of a massive housing estate and we had kept rabbits for another 7 years and in all that time had never even seen a fox anywhere in the area. But one day out of the blue we had a fox visit and kill my beautiful Minx by squeezing down the gap between the run and the fence. I had butted the run up against the fence and used the fence as the side of the run. The fox had prised the nails out and got down the side.

So please, those of you who do live somewhere where you have never seen a fox - please don't become apathetic, because you never know when one is going to appear. It took 7 years for one to appear for me, but I wish I could turn back the clock and make absolutely sure that my bunnies accommodation was absolutely 100% foxproof.

We had a fox at 15:30 on a beautiful summers day, in our back garden. Luckily enough I saw it and chased it off before it got the Rabbits run.

Personally I can't stand foxes, they seem to do more harm than good. I forget now Fox hunting is banned what measures are being taken (if any) to keep there numbers down?

Alfie kennedy said:
was it during the day?? was it a particularly flimsy run??
It was quite early in the morning - it was light - but no the run was really robust, it was just that I hadn't taken the panels down by the fence I had just attached the panels to the fence, and the fox had forced them apart including prising out nails and screws! Now my run goes down by the fence and underneath as well!

rabbits234.jpg
The bun sitting up is the late Ronan. I prefer to remember him like this rather than what I saw of him after the Fox got in... JCO xx

There are fox scarers on the market (and I've seen some on ebay) which use a radio frequency to deter foxes, but also dogs, cats and others. I have one for my rabbits outdoors which is weather-proof. Many neighbours have cats and it has detered them away too.

hi

I haven't read all this thread - I just wanted to say never mind the foxes :shock: I just happened (luckily) to be gazing out of the window today, wondering why Benny was lying on the patio in a gale with drizzle lashing his face - when I saw a hawk land on the back fence, looking very interested!!! I was like a rocket out of there - Benny was totally unaware of what was going on and wondered why I locked him up when he was enjoying the elements so much...Real shame as I moved him outside so he could have the run of the patio most of the day - secure garden, huge fences, no cats or dogs around...Forgot the flamin sky didn't I?? :x

Sorry to hear about Ronan I think I read this first in the RWA rabbiting on. I have to admit foxes terrify me. My rabbits live outside in hutches with adjoining runs and Im now going to have a weekend of enforced security.

Dyl and Silks were out in the garden the other week and I was at the end. I looked into the horse field behind our back fence and there were 4 foxes bold as anything playing about 20metres away not remotely bothered by me. They clearly had a den in the far corner.

I have already put extra locks on the fronts of their hutch doors and tie the tops of the runs to the side (locks required) and have mesh under the edges of the run. I constantly wonder if this is enough to protect them. I have thought about the deterrant but I do have a cat. One friend suggested an electric fence and I have seriously considered it!!!!!

foxes

Hi :) I had a vixen asleep on my bunny shed roof this morning :( I have seen her there before :shock: I use a toy cap gun now when i have foxes come in the garden during the day so i fired that at her :wink: she was of in a shot :shock: that,ll teach her to try & get my bunnies :lol: :lol: :lol:

a few weeks ago, my brother woke up to something screaming outside. he thought it was a cat but when he looked out his window, a fox had got my rabbit Winston in his mouth. Luckily he escaped with no injuries at all. But I live in a cul-de-sac, off a main road, we have fields and a canal near us but i never thought we would have foxes going round our street.I've been told that if you put human hair around your buns housing, foxes wont go near becuase they hate humans. quick, cheap and easy way of dealing with them, dont know if it actually works tho.

Fiona

Foxes

I have no gripe regarding foxes. They simply follow their natural instincts. However they are a "success". Just like Magpies they have quickly adapted to their changing environment. Some species do this much better than others. Its natural progression. Animals dont see the environment as we do. They do not prefer the country to towns because it is "nice" or vice versa. Its all about food and shelter. Until relatively recently, ie 50- 80 years ago suburbia did not exist. Towns were industiral polluted place with no life, waste or food for urban foxes to live off. People in towns in the early to mid 1900's had very little or could not afford to throw anything edible away. In 2005 the fox, rat and magpie find more food and shelter in suburbia than the country. Thats is why they are more prominent. It has nothing to do with hunting etc.

few weeks ago, my brother woke up to something screaming outside. he thought it was a cat but when he looked out his window, a fox had got my rabbit Winston in his mouth. Luckily he escaped with no injuries at all. But I live in a cul-de-sac, off a main road, we have fields and a canal near us but i never thought we would have foxes going round our street.I've been told that if you put human hair around your buns housing, foxes wont go near becuase they hate humans. quick, cheap and easy way of dealing with them, dont know if it actually works tho.

Blimey, that's amazing that he escaped!!!

fionalouise said:
a few weeks ago, my brother woke up to something screaming outside. he thought it was a cat but when he looked out his window, a fox had got my rabbit Winston in his mouth. Luckily he escaped with no injuries at all. But I live in a cul-de-sac, off a main road, we have fields and a canal near us but i never thought we would have foxes going round our street.I've been told that if you put human hair around your buns housing, foxes wont go near becuase they hate humans. quick, cheap and easy way of dealing with them, dont know if it actually works tho.

Fiona

Hmmmm. Great plan but what if you're totally shaven headed like me. :shock: I could leave stubble around the Rabbits shed, would this be any good? :D

foxes

The foxes round here have no fear of humans at all :( they will take food from your hand & readily come into your house should you let them :( I love all animals & they are beautiful creatures BUT i have to protect my bunnies :( I give the foxes some food first thing in the morning them they are not allowed to come back if they do i get my (toy) gun out :) this seems to have the effect of scaring them without hurting them so everyone,s a winner :lol:

I actually like foxes. However I am not overly keen that they eat rabbits, but they have to eat. Humans eat rabbit, cow, sheep, fish, chicken, turkey, duck and god knows what else. We (Humans) are probably the biggest meat eaters not to mention the biggest killers. So I don’t think it’s fair to hate foxes really, not when we are a lot worse. Like Tam said foxes go where there is food lying around, it’s up to humans to keep the place clean. We have a lot of foxes around here that make a right racket, and every morning I wake up to a mess in the front garden where the foxes have smelt Toby’s sent from when I have cleaned him out in a bin bag. We have to except nature and just make sure our animals are safe, and not blame the foxes. I have had rabbits eaten by foxes and left in peaces in the garden, Toby’s brother being one (yes I was very upset) but It was probably my fault for not double checking the security. I never once blamed the fox.

However I would have never expected the fox to go inside a house! You learn something new everyday. I am truly sorry about your rabbit hon. I am sure you will keep all windows tightly shut now.

Toby said:
I actually like foxes. However I am not overly keen that they eat rabbits, but they have to eat.

Yup, but apparently foxes also do it for 'fun'. Sorry this is a bit gruesome but when Minx was killed, all they took was her head, and it was the same with those 2 bunnies someone linked the paper article to the other week, who thought that people had come into their garden and done it. If they killed Minxy for food, they would surely have taken her body, she was a large rabbit with lots of good meat on her. But they didn't, so I can only assume that they also kill just because it's their instinct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back