• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fluids

joey&boo

Wise Old Thumper
Like the kind of fluids a vet prescribes to be injected into a sick / dehydrated bunny

Would anyone be happy to share under what circumstances they use them, any problems administering them & how much they cost?

TIA

Like the kind of fluids a vet prescribes to be injected into a sick / dehydrated bunny

Would anyone be happy to share under what circumstances they use them, any problems administering them & how much they cost?

TIA

Cost depends on the bag, there's like a whole range of sizes or once when they didn't have any bags they prefilled syringes for me, but normally I just get a bag, I have a couple spares here too. But they're not like expensive.

Administering them depends, can be through an ear catheter, which can work really well but they're finicky and sometimes come out or the bun pulls the tape and it then doesn't work.. Its tricky, if the bun leaves it alone you're probably okay although if you've not put anything through it for a bit there'll be a bit of resistance, I think blood clots and blocks it? I have cotton wool and vet tape on hand because you always end up adjusting it or redressing it, especially when the rabbit dunks their ear in the water dish and the cotton wool absorbs a load of water [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38] they can also come out the vein and leak.. They aren't bad but they're kinda annoying sometimes?

I prefer under the skin because you can just inject it in (obviously there's a way to do this [emoji38]) and the bun doesn't need to have anything on them and it's just much easier imo. Although skinnier buns I find it more difficult with sometimes, that's probably just a me thing. Obviously for both of these you need to be okay with needles etc.

I wouldn't do any of this without vet saying so though. Oral syringed water is good too tho, goes straight into the gut :)

Thanks graicee. Thats all really useful. i admit I don't like injecting rabbits - i do it if necessary of course. don't worry I'm not about to buy some online & randomly injecting my bunnies:lol: My vets have never given them to my bunnies (they are very in to oral hydration through syringe feeding) but I'm aware many vets do so psychologically preparing myself. bob's days at work have changed so I can't get Mousey in with her usual (& my fave) Crab Lane Vet as she is very part time.

Thanks graicee. Thats all really useful. i admit I don't like injecting rabbits - i do it if necessary of course. don't worry I'm not about to buy some online & randomly injecting my bunnies[emoji38] My vets have never given them to my bunnies (they are very in to oral hydration through syringe feeding) but I'm aware many vets do so psychologically preparing myself. bob's days at work have changed so I can't get Mousey in with her usual (& my fave) Crab Lane Vet as she is very part time.

I know you wouldn't [emoji38] just thought I should state it incase people thought that's what I was doing [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Yea I think oral fluids are really great actually, especially for stasis :)

I have only done sub Q-under the skin -fluids. It is helpful for stasis to hydrate gut contents. I give using a set-up-tubing with appropriate needle added, so no syringe, though syringe quicker and more precise measurements than those on the bag.
Sub q must be absorbed, which is not as useful as iv or os if animal very ill. Though sub q can be done less frequently than iv, plus no catheter needed. Room temp fluids may lower body temp.
Fluids may help flush toxins/byproducts too.
I always have a bag on hand which is from vets.

I always use SQ fluids as part of first line treatment for gut stasis ( under Veterinary supervision ). I use Hartmanns and my Vet lets me have 2 500ml bags on standby for emergency use. This is the one we use

https://www.vetimed.co.uk/pet/produ...MIjfzoiJuM8QIVC893Ch2ZzQ9fEAQYAiABEgJqBPD_BwE

If a Rabbit is critically ill their cardiovascular system is likely to be too shut down to allow absorption of SQs so IVs are needed. Administering IVs is a more amount critical procedure so you don’t hyperinfuse the Rabbit which can be life threatening if it happens.

No direct experience but IME of my vets doing both, I found the rabbit responded to injected SQ fluids better, although this could be circumstantial as I've only had it happen three times, not including Aboleth's stay (which was ear catheter).

TIA

Barney stopped eating and pooping. He was very grumpy and dehydrated. He had to spend the day on fluids and we had to force feed him every couple hours for a few days after. That was about £500 for the day. He was seriously ill but luckily he’s got fight in him.

Then, two weeks later I had a bunny get a bite to the face which got infected. His temp was insanely high and he spent the night at home with his head bent up and backwards, mouth breathing from one side. He spent the next two days at the vets (I had him back at night) on fluids which really did wonders even after day one his temp regulated. Cost about £500 a day. Pic shows dead tissue hanging off after the abscess cleared up (remember to double fence between enclosures guys)
98f46dfe60ce84567ffe8e8f6e8afe69.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh and talking about problems… Odin was a perfect well behaved boy.
Barney…. Kept throwing things at the vet and they had to tape his ears upwards to keep the fluids in!!! (See what I mean about having fight in him?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back