• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Jellycat Bashful Bunnies- A Thread About Brachycephlic Rabbits

InspectorMorse

Wise Old Thumper
As regular RUers know, I am a collector of Jellycat Bunnies. Recently I found out that a few years ago the shape of the faces of the ‘Bashful’ range was changed to make it flatter (brachycephalic) and therefore supposedly more appealing and cute.
What a shame that humans have already done this to real Rabbits. And of course it has to have been done for similar reasons, it certainly wasn’t for the health welfare of the Rabbit.

If any of your Rabbits are/were brachy’ did they have health problems as a result and if so what were they?
I currently have Dara, a Nethie. She has chronic rhinitis. I anticipate that she will eventually develop dental problems, despite her 90% hay based diet. Bone density changes with age and so older Rabbits can eventually develop dental problems, despite being raised on a hay based diet. Being brachycephalic greatly increases the risks.

Other brachycephalic related problems I have encountered, aswell as dental and upper respiratory tract are eye problems related to deformed tear ducts and lower respiratory tract problems secondary to those associated with the upper respiratory tract.

Not only does being brachycephalic mean the affected Rabbits usually suffer as far as their health goes, it also makes them likely to be far more expensive to care for if they are to receive the ongoing appropriate treatment they will need. These days a dental can cost over £300. Some brachy’ Rabbits need dentals every 6-8 weeks. Few Insurance companies will cover this. The cost of treating a life long respiratory tract problem could easily run into thousands of pounds.

If only messing with the shape of a Rabbit’s face was confined to just toy Rabbits ☹️

This isn’t cute, it’s cruelty and harm done…..by humans IMG_1496.jpegIMG_1497.jpegIMG_1498.jpegIMG_1499.jpegIMG_1500.jpeg

• Sad
Reactions: KCG
I've noticed that I've had far more dentals needed on a particular (long, narrow) shape of rabbit skull, so have avoided getting any rabbit with a similar conformation since then. I also prefer their ears to be more a standard wild rabbit type - always upright and on the smaller side for preference. Ear positioning is partly dependent on skull shape, so that again will affect dental conformation.

I've not had any issues with Nethie crosses with either dental or respiratory issues. Many of my rabbits have probably been lionhead / angora x nethie. I do try to be careful of what I take on these days and the first thing I look for is possible future dental issues as they are so hard to deal with both financially and physically to keep the rabbit eating. Anything that hasn't been brought up on lots of grass / hay isn't considered - I look at the advert / rehoming photos carefully for clues. A good start in life hopefully gives a better long term outcome of a healthy life for the rabbit. Having decent genes also counts for a lot, and 'we' are responsible for the current 'breeds' and all their inherent health issues as a result of the choices made in the breeding lines - whether as a deliberate action to breed in that characteristic, or because of an accidental mating from pet rabbits that originated from such lines.

I lost my bridge bunny, Toffee, after one g.a. too many, he was only 2 1/2. He had to have them done approx every 8 weeks. In hindsight I'm glad he came to me, I was able to provide him with the good veterinary care he had in his short life. It's time for change though.

Dara needs her nose cleaned most days. due to the chronic rhinitis. The discharge is clear and watery, but the fur around her nostrils looks mucky if I don't clean it. And I don't want bits of cecotroph getting stuck to the damp fur as I worry that might make it more likely for bacterial infection to set in. Once that happens the problems can become a lot worse. Fortunately her Ladyship does not mind her servant cleaning her nose for her ! ❤️

IMG_4694.jpgIMG_4698.jpgIMG_4699.jpg

Poor Dara. Though she is lucky to have you to serve her every want and need. Though I cannot imagine you not having her or any of your other bunnies.
Raven is the first nethie I had with chronic dental issues.

Last edited:
My tricoloured lop, Mottle had to have a dental (the only lop I have ever had). None of my other (up earred rabbits) have ever needed them even my delightful nethie crosses Dusty (rip) and Moondust. Moondust is six so I guess it may yet happen. She came to me quite young and is a really good hay eater as was Dusty.

My fave types of rabbits are up earred breeds esp belgian hares and rexes. I love love love agouti colouring.

Back