• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

FHB- Survey Re Owners Perspective on Vet Treatment + Advice About Dental Problems

Done for Bramble's dental last month, glad I could find the print off of the details of work done and meds prescribed.

Re the EC posts - interesting - some of my EC rabbits have strange claw curl - which my vet (Iain Cope) relates to nerve damage - and that could well affect teeth growth as well . . .

Indeed with some we are 'using' the strange deformed claws as possible indicator of EC when no other major symptoms . . he is hoping to do a project on EC so we may know more than as he will have funding to test them all

Artie had a claw that curled up instead of down, this was only the case in the last couple of years of his life. He's the one who lost a kidney to EC.

Quoted from Frances Harcourt-Brown [via Facebook]
"The results of the survey of owners experiences of dentistry for their rabbit are interesting. For those of you that haven't completed the survey, it is still open and will remain so until June. The link is in the 'sign up' button above. The results so far show a definite gender bias for rabbits needing dentistry. Breed may or may not play a part and I would really like to compare the results with the gender and breed distribution in the pet rabbit population as a whole. I am also working on a paper about ear disease and would like to know the percentage of pet rabbits that have lop ears so please will you help me by filling in another (very short) survey."

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/B9X2JNZ

I spotted that on Camp Nibbles website earlier & filled it in. Super short. What do you think the gender bias will be?

I spotted that on Camp Nibbles website earlier & filled it in. Super short. What do you think the gender bias will be?

My guess, given there is also a question as to whether the rabbits are neutered, is that it's something to do with a theory on lack of calcium, same sort of scenario as women can experience osteoporosis after hormonal changes... so female would be my guess... but that's based on sending a load of X-ray forms off for human patients and transferring the theory for rabbits, other than that theory I have nothing to offer:lol:

I also wonder if she also has a suggestion that lops are more prone to needing dentals but then needs to prove that we don't have a (for example) 80% population of lop rabbits to account for the high percentage of lops needing dentals.....

I can't wait to find out :) My 2 dental buns have been does ..(still refuse to believe Joey was / is) ..but then I've had more does & 2 is hardly a good sample size. Had one lop & that one lop is deaf. I've had 2 bunnies with slightly waxy ears, again my lop & my lop cross (aka Boo & Mouse). I guess I'll need to be patient, all her results wont be in til June never mind processing it all

Quoted from Frances Harcourt-Brown [via Facebook]
"The results of the survey of owners experiences of dentistry for their rabbit are interesting. For those of you that haven't completed the survey, it is still open and will remain so until June. The link is in the 'sign up' button above. The results so far show a definite gender bias for rabbits needing dentistry. Breed may or may not play a part and I would really like to compare the results with the gender and breed distribution in the pet rabbit population as a whole. I am also working on a paper about ear disease and would like to know the percentage of pet rabbits that have lop ears so please will you help me by filling in another (very short) survey."

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/B9X2JNZ

I will have to fill out several of the Surveys !! I hope that wont break the system :shock:

Just giving this a gentle bump as there are only 3 days left to fill it in and it would be good to have as many results as possible to aid the research. :D

*bump*

Frances Harcourt-Brown BVSc FRCVS, from Facebook, 30 June: "Thank you for all the new responses. There have been over 40 in the last 24 hours. There were 467 responses when I last looked. 500 would be good. The results are interesting and I will share them once the survey is closed."

I want to retract Joeys :lol: I don't believe he was / is a dental bun, just a stress head

I can't remember if you said they found any spikes, was it tiny ones that might or might not have been the culprit?

I waited ages to fill the previous ones in as it asks a lot of questions re longer term after the dental, so left it to the last few days to give an accurate an answer as possible... I completely forgot what metacam was given though as sooo long ago.... It then reminded me I need to give likkle Benji his dose tonight :love:

Yeah tiny ones maybe, no ulcers, no cuts . It was clearly Bobs hideously noisy machine that upset him. Joey is a very sensitive rabbit. There was no build up to Joeys "dental" issue, he ate everything on offer always then immediately stopped after his noisy garden scare.

Back