• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

****EMERGENCY, Cookie is making weird noises

I really feel for you not having acsess to a decent vets. I think you need to obviously still listen to their advice and use them for medicines, tests and scans for Cookie. However you can also use RU for advice aswell and then make decisions in Cookie's best interests.

You obviously care so much for Cookie. I get that about how the vet does not understand why you worry. Frequently I come across people who laugh at my love for my bunnies and call me the 'rabbit woman' and stuff like that.

My step mum said the other day that I have spent over £1000 on vet fees this year so far (with help from kind donations luckily) and that I should consider whether it is financially viable! I lost my **** to be honest. They are worth every penny I own and I would go without until I was hungry if it would save my buns. My step mum has a dog she loves aswell. She just can't understand how I could love my buns as she loves her dog!!

I understand your reasons for wanting to move to Europe. Only you can know what is right for you. But I totally get that you would do all you could for Cookie. I would do the same for mine.

However I also say you are a brilliant mum to him and he has more of everything than most bunnies in the world would ever know. Another bunny would think Cookie lives as a king [emoji178]

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

anyway, if there was no forum, i think even the vet and cookie would lose their life. That's why the forum and the support you all give me is very important and meaningful. Thank you so much. xx
I understand what the stepmother said, most people tell me the same thing. :D They even said it politely, most people ask if I'm crazy when they find out that I spent so much money on a rabbit in Turkey. I'm used to, really They are a part of our life, they are very valuable to us. I love cookie calling it my son, he's like my son. :) Your last words are really nice, you are so kind. King sentence made me laugh so much. :lol:

Cookie's sneezes and the rustling/whistle sound of his breathing continue. I hear the whistle while Cookie licks my face. Should I go to the vet for a checkup again? We stopped your medicine on Saturday. :|

Cookie's sneezes and the rustling/whistle sound of his breathing continue. I hear the whistle while Cookie licks my face. Should I go to the vet for a checkup again? We stopped your medicine on Saturday. :|
If he's no better then yes, he may need a longer course of antibiotics :)

If he's no better then yes, he may need a longer course of antibiotics :)

Cookie is sneezing like that again, I guess it's a sneeze. I made an appointment with the vet tomorrow, but I am not comfortable, do you think I should take him to the vet immediately? :( I am so afraid, Should I wait until tomorrow or go to the vet right away?

https://streamable.com/2syr37

anyway he looks fine for now, we're going to the vet tomorrow morning. :( But I knew the vet couldn't cure my son. :( I know but I can't do anything, I can't prove. I realize the vet's incompetence, I can't do anything

anyway, if there was no forum, i think even the vet and cookie would lose their life. That's why the forum and the support you all give me is very important and meaningful. Thank you so much. xx
I understand what the stepmother said, most people tell me the same thing. :D They even said it politely, most people ask if I'm crazy when they find out that I spent so much money on a rabbit in Turkey. I'm used to, really They are a part of our life, they are very valuable to us. I love cookie calling it my son, he's like my son. :) Your last words are really nice, you are so kind. King sentence made me laugh so much. [emoji38]
They are our babies though aren't they! Phil calls Mischief Lord Fauntleroy as he is pandered to so much. They are spoilt but in a good healthy way [emoji173]

anyway he looks fine for now, we're going to the vet tomorrow morning. :( But I knew the vet couldn't cure my son. :( I know but I can't do anything, I can't prove. I realize the vet's incompetence, I can't do anything
Mischief needed 3 courses of antibiotics for his lung infection plus a month's course of diuretics. Perhaps it would be worth asking if Cookie needs diuretics orally? I do not know much about this but another course of antibiotics may be needed.

If you think as a human you may need 2 courses of antibiotics for a chest infection. It takes ages to shift them for me. It would maybe take even longer for a bunny as they can't cough up all the muck from their chest.

The antibiotics are to help the body fight infection but it takes time. A vet can listen to his chest and nose and even do an X-ray. They will be able to see if the infection is still there.

I hope the visit to the vet brings good news and you get some peace of mind. Sending more healing vibes for little Cookie.

He is so tiny compared to the log tunnel. We have one and Lillabelle is already bigger. The log tunnel shows me how diddy Cookie is. Bless his little paws [emoji170][emoji170][emoji170]

Mischief needed 3 courses of antibiotics for his lung infection plus a month's course of diuretics. Perhaps it would be worth asking if Cookie needs diuretics orally? I do not know much about this but another course of antibiotics may be needed.

If you think as a human you may need 2 courses of antibiotics for a chest infection. It takes ages to shift them for me. It would maybe take even longer for a bunny as they can't cough up all the muck from their chest.

The antibiotics are to help the body fight infection but it takes time. A vet can listen to his chest and nose and even do an X-ray. They will be able to see if the infection is still there.

I hope the visit to the vet brings good news and you get some peace of mind. Sending more healing vibes for little Cookie.

He is so tiny compared to the log tunnel. We have one and Lillabelle is already bigger. The log tunnel shows me how diddy Cookie is. Bless his little paws [emoji170][emoji170][emoji170]

I've never been a aggressive in my life, but this vet really tests my patience. I can hardly calm myself down so as not to fight with the vet anymore. She is wrong about everything, wrong about everything. Cookie failed to heal due to veterinarian's repeated mistakes and misjudgments.
Cookie got sick, I took he while sneezing they didn't understand. Then his upper respiratory infection affected his eyes, even though I told them first they told me that there was nothing in his eye I was exaggerating. Still I did not trust them and took them to the clinic, when they saw they said yes the eye canal is blocked. They healed the Cookie's eye, but the researchers also no found the cause, so the infection landed in his lungs. Despite cookie sneezing, they say it's a cough, not a sneeze. They don't even know that rabbits don't cough. However, I'm patient and I don't want to offend the vet. They even told me to use the antibiotic for 7 days even that was wrong, I knew it wasn't enough so I used it for 10 days. Cookie got fluid in her lungs and the vet told me not to come anyway, I didn't listen and went and asked him to take diuretic medicine myself, they just gave injections, they didn't give oral medicine. Cookie is like this because of the vet, but now my patience is running out. If I have a problem today, I will fight with the vet and I will not go there again, what could be worse than that, and they say they are a rabbit vet and I pay them a fortune. I go to one of the most expensive veterinarians in Turkey because they call themselves rabbit vets, even the examination fee is 4 times more expensive than a normal vet. I'm out of patience now, Allah forbid if cookie had had as many illnesses as Mischief, he'd be dead by now for sure.

I'm really sorry your vet isn't as good as you need them to be, KCG. That must be so difficult to deal with. :( I'm sending Cookie lots and lots more vibes.

Show the Vet this information

WARNING VERY GRAPHIC IMAGES ON LINK

https://lbah.com/rabbit/pasteurella-rabbit/

And if they are a member of Lafebervet

https://lafeber.com/vet/diseases-of-the-rabbit-respiratory-tract/

Or Vetlexicon Lapis

https://www.vetstream.com/treat/lapis/freeform/pneumonia

I'm really sorry your vet isn't as good as you need them to be, KCG. That must be so difficult to deal with. :( I'm sending Cookie lots and lots more vibes.

People in Turkey cannot accept their mistakes being told and everyone here thinks their profession is very sacred. I'll show them anyway and we'll fight but I don't care anymore. because I really can't stand these incompetence. We'll see what happens today. But now I believe cookie needs europe more than us, so I want to move to Europe, my son is devastated by these incompetent people

They took Cookie for examination now, I talked to the vet before. The vet insists that I exaggerate and cookie is good. When I wanted to show you the texts Jane sent, the vet said to me "don't come to me after learning about the disease from google" . Now I'm extra angry, she thinks she's perfect, she doesn't admit her mistakes. I'm waiting for cookie inspection to finish to say what I have to say.

the vet insists cookie is healthy. she says cookie's sneezes are normal, i'm going crazy. now i'm going to the animal hospital, i'm going to have a cookie look there too

I understand why you are upset. While there is a lot of misinformation online , what Jane sent you is info from trusted vet resources.

Keep in mind different bunnies can have the same disease yet have different symptoms and severity.

Also, the same symptom can be present in different illnesses.

My first sneezing bunny had allergies, my second one had chronic pasturella. The second one is my avatar, a retired show bunny who I often called ka-choo. Both had long lives. Others sneezed too.

Last edited:
Brko sneezes everyday. But it was a hell lot of more sneezing and a difrent type of sneeze when he had URI (upper respiraty infection). It sounded congested. But no discharge. He had less of an appetite (no wonder). He lost some weight (about 10%). He refused to eat hay for 14 days. At first he was given oral antibiotics Marbocil (smells like hell) but it did not help so I called the 5th day that he got worse, he breaths like a purring cat and sneezes a lot. We got back-OTC injections every 72 hours (in total 5 injections) plus 3 injections of Bisolvon every 24 hours. He got better with that.... So the theory of Brko and sneezing is that it might be teeth related. Elongated roots. I'm giving him some ROdicare Pulmo (herbay syrup for buns) just as a precaution as there was somewhat windy few days ago.

I hope you get it figured out.

Last edited:
I wonder if the rti is gone but cookie has some irritation left which is causing sneezes/allergies.

I can just about tell the difference between light sneezes and cough now, the cough is a bit harsher and almost bark like compared to a sneeze.

You may be better off with a vet who isn't rabbit qualified but has an interest and fondness for them. Sometimes they're willing to consider alternatives and do research.

I don't know if any vets in Turkey would be willing to share imaging and a video consultant with a vet in another country if they were also willing?

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

I took cookie to the animal hospital. The vet told his lungs were wheezing. He was given cortisone to relax him. The vet said he wanted to see cookie again after 2 days, he said he would do cortisone and also wanted to do a blood test. Do you think I should get cookie to have a blood test, the other vet did nothing but X-ray. Do you recommend a blood test? He also did not give him again because he used antibiotics before, but cortisone injection was done. But i'm worried about cortisone, they want to give cortisone injection again on friday, do you think i should have it done?
Cookie has no signs other than a sneeze and the wheezing I hear when I press my ear to his nose

Last edited:
Blood tests are useful if there are ongoing issues. It can help to distinguish between infection and allergy, for example.
Was Cookie sedated for his previous x-rays?
I would be wary of having more sedation within a short space of time. It is possible to get a blood sample without sedation.
Does the new vet have the full history of Cookie's diagnoses and treatment?

Back