• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cookie is jumping, EMERGENCY help

KCG

Warren Veteran
Cookie has a pet park. Normally pretty loud and didn't jump at all. Nut he started jumping out of the pet park for the first time since he started sleeping in that room next to us. I'm also afraid that he will break his leg because he is high, also because we are sleeping in the air-conditioned room right now, we all sleep in the same room. I have no idea how he managed to jump from this high place 3 times in a row. I am also afraid that he will break his leg. I'm afraid he'll make it a habit now so I took him to his room. Tomorrow I will buy a net for the ceiling of the pet park.

What should I do tonight, does Cookie make it a habit, help. :(

https://imguh.com/image/49ndK
https://imguh.com/image/49ikI

Nomally this is a dog park and it's high. I still don't understand how he managed to jump. He hasn't done it for a year. He's only doing it out of curiosity because we're sleeping with him, he can't stay inside when we're with him

pet park height:60cm

Last edited:
Most rabbits can clear 60cm if they want to. 90cm will keep most in, although I've had the odd one that needed 120cm minimum.
He's not got that much room to run around in the enclosure, and nothing to keep him entertained while he is in it - so he is just jumping out. Rabbits shouldn't hurt themselves jumping that sort of height. If you do manage to keep him in, then I would be worried that he would just chew his way out of the fabric.

The puppy pens we tend to use are wire panels, either hinged together, or joined by long pins that drop down the end loops.
You could also look at an extra large dog crate as an alternative. That would provide better security (but check the bar spacing first) and better ventilation. They fold up when not in use.

Nomally this is a dog park and it's high. I still don't understand how he managed to jump. He hasn't done it for a year. He's only doing it out of curiosity because we're sleeping with him, he can't stay inside when we're with him

pet park height:60cm
60cm is nothing! Most buns can jump that easy! There's not much space there so he'll just jump out [emoji51]

Haha my two can clear 90cm when they fancy it [emoji1787] and my big bridge bun Flopsy could do 120cm with ease.

He's just having fun. They need lots of enrichment late evenings and at night or they get bored and make mischief!

Can Cookie not be in his usual room? He'll probably munch his way out even if you do manage to block off jumping.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

I agree with what has been said. I’m surprised he’s not jumped out before tbh!

but Cookie is a little bunny, only 1.8 kg. He's never jumped before, this is the highest he's jumped. It's hard inside him when he jumps, I'm afraid he'll break his leg. But he doesn't jump when he's in his room.Normally we put it in the pet park at night now, because we all sleep in the same room, the air is very hot, we sleep in the air-conditioned room. But Cookie doesn't feel comfortable knowing that we are in the room, he keeps jumping.

Last edited:
but Cookie is a little bunny, only 1.8 kg. He's never jumped before, this is the highest he's jumped. It's hard inside him when he jumps, I'm afraid he'll break his leg. But he doesn't jump when he's in his room.Normally we put it in the pet park at night now, because we all sleep in the same room, the air is very hot, we sleep in the air-conditioned room. But Cookie doesn't feel comfortable knowing that we are in the room, he keeps jumping.
The smaller and younger they are, the more jumping I've tended to see.

I had Primrose when she was that small and she would happily jump that and more. She was never injured.

Can he not go in his usual room with a fan and some ice bottles? If he's out of the Aircon room during the day then he will be used to the hot temperatures I would have thought.

Even a small rabbit of his weight can easily jump the heights mentioned, it's part of what rabbits do is jump I'm afraid! He may not have felt the need to before if the environment was new to him, whereas now he may want out/to explore? There may be a risk to his leg if he's landing on a slippery floor after or a dangerous surface, for example one of my previous rabbits used to occasionally jump onto her XL dog crate which was really high and she was only small, however being bars this was a risk of her leg getting stuck so we had to cover the top to ensure there was no way of her getting a leg caught as we couldn't actually stop her from making the jump. Just jumping straight over shouldn't hurt his leg, but is the rest of the room safe? How hot is it in his usual area, does he struggle? If he seems ok I'd move him back, or set up a larger safe area in your room with plenty of enrichment.

The smaller and younger they are, the more jumping I've tended to see.

I had Primrose when she was that small and she would happily jump that and more. She was never injured.

Can he not go in his usual room with a fan and some ice bottles? If he's out of the Aircon room during the day then he will be used to the hot temperatures I would have thought.

Even a small rabbit of his weight can easily jump the heights mentioned, it's part of what rabbits do is jump I'm afraid! He may not have felt the need to before if the environment was new to him, whereas now he may want out/to explore? There may be a risk to his leg if he's landing on a slippery floor after or a dangerous surface, for example one of my previous rabbits used to occasionally jump onto her XL dog crate which was really high and she was only small, however being bars this was a risk of her leg getting stuck so we had to cover the top to ensure there was no way of her getting a leg caught as we couldn't actually stop her from making the jump. Just jumping straight over shouldn't hurt his leg, but is the rest of the room safe? How hot is it in his usual area, does he struggle? If he seems ok I'd move him back, or set up a larger safe area in your room with plenty of enrichment.

normally he roams free in the house, he stays with us in the air-conditioned room all day.But since the weather will be 40-45 degrees these 2 days, we wanted to sleep in an air-conditioned room at night. He normally sleeps in his room at night. But now that he was sleeping next to us at night, he was crazy with curiosity, he wanted to come over to us all the time. :roll: He is too curious :roll:
He can't get used to it because the temperatures are too high. Now he gets mad at me for being in one room all the time until we fall asleep. :roll:

Last edited:
Like others have said, bunnies of Cookie's size can easily jump quite high. They don't weigh much, and they have big, strong back legs, so jumping isn't hard for them! :)

Is there a reason he can't just free roam at night, too? If it's safe for him during the day, surely it's safe at night, too? Or is he keeping you awake?

Like others have said, bunnies of Cookie's size can easily jump quite high. They don't weigh much, and they have big, strong back legs, so jumping isn't hard for them! :)

Is there a reason he can't just free roam at night, too? If it's safe for him during the day, surely it's safe at night, too? Or is he keeping you awake?

Normally Cookie was free at home until we fell asleep, free in her room for all night.
But now we are experiencing an extraordinary temperature and we are staying in an air-conditioned room day and night. We wanted him to sleep in the pet park at night, because we all sleep in the same room. But because Cookie realized that we were sleeping in the room, he kept jumping out of the room and kept us awake. He's always wondering about us because we're in the room. Now he's mad at me for keeping Cookie in the living room until I go to sleep at night. :roll:

Ah yeah that makes sense. I've had various rabbits free range in my room where I sleep at night and none have bothered me through the night. I had one who used to be on the bed sleeping throughout the day but then he'd always hop off and do his own thing when it got late, then he'd jump on the bed around 7am to wake me for breakfast :lol: Could he stay loose overnight if it's already rabbit proofed for the day time?

ETA: sorry just read he bothers you and keeps you awake! Maybe he'd get used to it and leave you alone, for now it's a novelty being around you at night??

Last edited:
Ah yeah that makes sense. I've had various rabbits free range in my room where I sleep at night and none have bothered me through the night. I had one who used to be on the bed sleeping throughout the day but then he'd always hop off and do his own thing when it got late, then he'd jump on the bed around 7am to wake me for breakfast :lol: Could he stay loose overnight if it's already rabbit proofed for the day time?

ETA: sorry just read he bothers you and keeps you awake! Maybe he'd get used to it and leave you alone, for now it's a novelty being around you at night??

not sure, Cookie is too attached to me :D He sits on top of me even in a single seat. He's waiting for me even when I'm cooking in the kitchen. Even when I'm sleeping he's on me. He did it overnight, this time I'm afraid of crushing him while he sleeps at night, Allah bless him

Seconding all the 90cm is better posts! We were a bit worried Willoughby would be over our 90cm one and he's 1.6kg. He was jumping in and out of 40cm high holes with no problem, and even old man Lopsy (2.5kg, 8yo) still manages that really easily, absolutely no strain at all for him. And last summer Lopsy was still doing 1m high binkies on the lawn :D

Seconding all the 90cm is better posts! We were a bit worried Willoughby would be over our 90cm one and he's 1.6kg. He was jumping in and out of 40cm high holes with no problem, and even old man Lopsy (2.5kg, 8yo) still manages that really easily, absolutely no strain at all for him. And last summer Lopsy was still doing 1m high binkies on the lawn :D

I'm shocked right now :D Cookie's life is so precious :D He is normally very cowardly in these matters. He acts with a lot of thought about the safety of his life.He pays more attention to himself than I do. :D

Back