• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

****EMERGENCY, Cookie is making weird noises

Blood tests are useful if there are ongoing issues. It can help to distinguish between infection and allergy, for example.
Was Cookie sedated for his previous x-rays?
I would be wary of having more sedation within a short space of time. It is possible to get a blood sample without sedation.
Does the new vet have the full history of Cookie's diagnoses and treatment?

No examination was performed on cookie except x-ray.
I made the two of them talk to each other on the phone and learned about the treatment. but i'm so confused, Cookie's own vet says he's fine and doesn't need anything. Now the vet at the animal hospital says cortisone, I'm so confused

I will not allow a second dose of cortisone to be given to cookie. given cortisone safe for rabbits but I don't want any unnecessary loading. I decided to wait and watch for now.

Also, the vet at this animal hospital is always trying to flirt with me. I'm worried that he will use cookie unnecessarily to see me.

I understand why you are upset. While there is a lot of misinformation online , what Jane sent you is info from trusted vet resources.

Keep in mind different bunnies can have the same disease yet have different symptoms and severity.

Also, the same symptom can be present in different illnesses.

My first sneezing bunny had allergies, my second one had chronic pasturella. The second one is my avatar, a retired show bunny who I often called ka-choo. Both had long lives. Others sneezed too.

your message gave me so much hope, thank you so much. Thanks to you, I realized that if your cookie is chronically ill, you can now have a long and happy life. :)

Brko sneezes everyday. But it was a hell lot of more sneezing and a difrent type of sneeze when he had URI (upper respiraty infection). It sounded congested. But no discharge. He had less of an appetite (no wonder). He lost some weight (about 10%). He refused to eat hay for 14 days. At first he was given oral antibiotics Marbocil (smells like hell) but it did not help so I called the 5th day that he got worse, he breaths like a purring cat and sneezes a lot. We got back-OTC injections every 72 hours (in total 5 injections) plus 3 injections of Bisolvon every 24 hours. He got better with that.... So the theory of Brko and sneezing is that it might be teeth related. Elongated roots. I'm giving him some ROdicare Pulmo (herbay syrup for buns) just as a precaution as there was somewhat windy few days ago.

I hope you get it figured out.

Cookie never had a decrease in appetite, also all teeth were checked and if he looks good. I will look into this herb syrup, thanks :)

I wonder if the rti is gone but cookie has some irritation left which is causing sneezes/allergies.

I can just about tell the difference between light sneezes and cough now, the cough is a bit harsher and almost bark like compared to a sneeze.

You may be better off with a vet who isn't rabbit qualified but has an interest and fondness for them. Sometimes they're willing to consider alternatives and do research.

I don't know if any vets in Turkey would be willing to share imaging and a video consultant with a vet in another country if they were also willing?

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

what you said made me think a lot. I also started to consider another veterinary option. also i don't think they will share data with other countries, because they still don't admit that they made a mistake

I took cookie to the animal hospital. The vet told his lungs were wheezing. He was given cortisone to relax him. The vet said he wanted to see cookie again after 2 days, he said he would do cortisone and also wanted to do a blood test. Do you think I should get cookie to have a blood test, the other vet did nothing but X-ray. Do you recommend a blood test? He also did not give him again because he used antibiotics before, but cortisone injection was done. But i'm worried about cortisone, they want to give cortisone injection again on friday, do you think i should have it done?
Cookie has no signs other than a sneeze and the wheezing I hear when I press my ear to his nose

I will not allow a second dose of cortisone to be given to cookie. given cortisone safe for rabbits but I don't want any unnecessary loading. I decided to wait and watch for now.

Also, the vet at this animal hospital is always trying to flirt with me. I'm worried that he will use cookie unnecessarily to see me.

I am sharing these messages again because I want to keep them up to date. I hope you answer

I've never been a aggressive in my life, but this vet really tests my patience. I can hardly calm myself down so as not to fight with the vet anymore. She is wrong about everything, wrong about everything. Cookie failed to heal due to veterinarian's repeated mistakes and misjudgments.
Cookie got sick, I took he while sneezing they didn't understand. Then his upper respiratory infection affected his eyes, even though I told them first they told me that there was nothing in his eye I was exaggerating. Still I did not trust them and took them to the clinic, when they saw they said yes the eye canal is blocked. They healed the Cookie's eye, but the researchers also no found the cause, so the infection landed in his lungs. Despite cookie sneezing, they say it's a cough, not a sneeze. They don't even know that rabbits don't cough. However, I'm patient and I don't want to offend the vet. They even told me to use the antibiotic for 7 days even that was wrong, I knew it wasn't enough so I used it for 10 days. Cookie got fluid in her lungs and the vet told me not to come anyway, I didn't listen and went and asked him to take diuretic medicine myself, they just gave injections, they didn't give oral medicine. Cookie is like this because of the vet, but now my patience is running out. If I have a problem today, I will fight with the vet and I will not go there again, what could be worse than that, and they say they are a rabbit vet and I pay them a fortune. I go to one of the most expensive veterinarians in Turkey because they call themselves rabbit vets, even the examination fee is 4 times more expensive than a normal vet. I'm out of patience now, Allah forbid if cookie had had as many illnesses as Mischief, he'd be dead by now for sure.
I know you are getting angry but you really must keep your temper when at the vets hun. They are the only vets for Cookie really so you will need to go there again. I feel for you. Hope everything goes well today xxx

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

I don't know about cortisone injections. Jane is best for that. However the new vet accepts there is still infection. It sounds as if Cookue is getting much better but not totally well yet. Sometimes another type of antibiotic works better and helps shifr the disease. Mischief had 2 different types of antibiotic for his UTI.

I think a blood test would be useful if it can be taken without sedation. Sedation has it's risks when a bunny has a UTI so I woukd not do this unless completely necessary.

I hope you get results soon with the Cortisone injections. Sending more healing vibes for little Cookie [emoji8][emoji173]

I don't know about cortisone injections. Jane is best for that. However the new vet accepts there is still infection. It sounds as if Cookue is getting much better but not totally well yet. Sometimes another type of antibiotic works better and helps shifr the disease. Mischief had 2 different types of antibiotic for his UTI.

I think a blood test would be useful if it can be taken without sedation. Sedation has it's risks when a bunny has a UTI so I woukd not do this unless completely necessary.

I hope you get results soon with the Cortisone injections. Sending more healing vibes for little Cookie [emoji8][emoji173]

Thank you so much. Which vet is telling the truth now I'm surprised, I'm so confused. Besides, the animal hospital was where I used to take Cookie, they knew about cookie since they were babies. Then I stopped going to the animal hospital because I found the woman who calls herself the rabbit vet. I'm questioning if I made the right decision.
Also the man who used to be Cookie's ex vets at the animal hospital is always trying to flirt with me. so i'm worried that that man is also using cookie to see me for no reason. I'm confused like a mixer, I wonder who is telling the truth. I hope Jane writes something about cortisone, I wish Jane would private message me, I'm so confused :(

What medications and how often is Cookie on now?

cookie does not currently use any medication. last week he only used bactrim for 10 days and had 2 diuretic injections. today another vet made a cortisone injection called dexa which is used for rabbits. They didn't give us any medicine to use at home, we don't have any medicine at home at the moment :|

I think rather than ask here it might be worth calling the animal hospital and clarifying what the injection was and why it was given.

If they don't like their treatment being questioned then perhaps say you've forgotten and wanted to write it down for your own notes.

cookie does not currently use any medication. last week he only used bactrim for 10 days and had 2 diuretic injections. today another vet made a cortisone injection called dexa which is used for rabbits. They didn't give us any medicine to use at home, we don't have any medicine at home at the moment :|

Dexa is Dexamethasone, a Corticosteroid. The use of Corticosteroids is usually contraindicated in Rabbits as Rabbits are very sensitive to the potential negative side effects, especially suppression of the immune system and gastric ulceration. IME corticosteroids have only been used as part of palliative care.

http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Corticost/Cortico.htm

I think rather than ask here it might be worth calling the animal hospital and clarifying what the injection was and why it was given.

If they don't like their treatment being questioned then perhaps say you've forgotten and wanted to write it down for your own notes.

As I said above, the veterinarian we normally go to has not given treatment at the moment. at the animal hospital they gave an injection called dexa, they said he was to help with the remaining symptoms of his lungs

Dexa is Dexamethasone, a Corticosteroid. The use of Corticosteroids is usually contraindicated in Rabbits as Rabbits are very sensitive to the potential negative side effects, especially suppression of the immune system and gastric ulceration. IME corticosteroids have only been used as part of palliative care.

http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Corticost/Cortico.htm

cookie now took dexa 1 time and got stomach protector. but I'm not going to let them give him cortisone again. Does taking dexa once will damage the cookie?

cookie now took dexa 1 time and got stomach protector. but I'm not going to let them give him cortisone again. Does taking dexa once will damage the cookie?

It is unlikely but it won’t have helped if he is fighting a bacterial infection. When did he have the Dexamethasone and was it the long acting version ? Dexamethasone LA

It is unlikely but it won’t have helped if he is fighting a bacterial infection. When did he have the Dexamethasone and was it the long acting version ? Dexamethasone LA

got it today, they said it's only 2 days, normally 2 days later they called again for cortisone but i won't go. the disease of the cookie does not flare up again, right? I'm so scared, I've become anxiety

Jane cortisol so is there a high or low chance that cookie's disease will flare up again?

Jane cortisol so is there a high or low chance that cookie's disease will flare up again?

It will be a case of wait and see. He could be absolutely fine. He is likely to drink and wee a lot more over the next 48-72 hours and he might have an increased appetite too.

It will be a case of wait and see. He could be absolutely fine. He is likely to drink and wee a lot more over the next 48-72 hours and he might have an increased appetite too.

Ok, thank you so much. I'm really scared of cortisone now I'll wait. I hope it makes cookie better

Back