• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Elderly bun living with piggie U/D pics of piggies

i have to agree that any vet that suggested a rabbit is fine on a guinea mix wouldn't get my custom.
And waggy tails..sorry but your diet advice is not correct.

Karen you could always split them and give the old bun a soft toy to snuggle up to..

Last edited:
Some of the vets around here don't give proper advice but we have always had a good reputation for good care of our animals and our vets have just undertaken a program of care for small animals and rabbits. We have arranged health checks for pets and encouraged good pet care we have been comeneded by rspca inspectors and blue cross who we also work for in anothe capacity. My advice is based on 43 years of good animal care and that of my own father who if he was alive would be 90 years old!! we don't know everything but we do give good care to all our animals in our care. we also are higly recomend locally by our clients who have been more than happy with the advice we have given , we have also saved many rabbits from an early death .

we had 3 days where all the little one ate was hay and veg!!! even mixing food to change over isn't always the best course of action . they do need some food weather it be gerti or pellets!!

Hay and veg is all they need actually, unless being fattened for meat, which is what commercial foods were invented for. A guinea mix is too high in protein and too low in fibre for a rabbits stomach. Things like peas which are high protein attached to high fibre are one reason bad bacteria can flourish in a rabbit's gut, and they will tend to produce too many of the caecal poops to eat as well, and become too fat to reach their bum to eat them, and then you have all sorts of other problems, not to mention the risk of flystrike, so in general it's best to give mainly hay and/or grass, a little veg, and just a few teaspoons of pellets a day.

I wasn't saying i am too old to learn thats why i went and did my diploma!!!to learn !i was only offering an opinion based on a good vets advice, other people here use this vet for their rabbits and are very happy, this vet is a rabbit vet too !!!My own rabbits are fed on excel pellets, and hay! but my piggies are fed pellets or gerti!! as the older ones won't eat the pellets as at 9 years old they have what they enjoy and what they are used to,
I only offered an opinion in kindness i didn't expect this kind of behavour and the pm 's i have recieved are abusive and not justufied

I'm sorry to hear you've had some unpleasant PMs - you should report them to Tamsin if so, as this isn't what the PM system is for :(

And you did say you had a rabbit from the Sheffield floods, living with guinea pigs and eating piggy food, so that's what people are commenting on, although you seem to have changed this in your latest post, which is a bit confusing.

The rabbit from the sheffield floods is about 6 years old and his 2 friends are 5/6 years old!! he has lived on gerti for all his life thats how his owners have always fed him, he is a happy bunny apart from a bite from a rat which he arrived with and has had treatment for, my vet said although this wasn't ideal he wouldn't change the food as it may upset him and its not a problem to feed him gerti , He will be going back to his home soon!!! Maybe Nov !!
My own are fed excel and science but mainly eat fresh and hay although in the past i have fed rabbits on gerti or a mix like that, the last rabbit who lived on that was a french lop called Bojo who lived to be 11 years old which is old for a bunny, also My mum has just said she has fed her drawflops this for years and no vet has ever told her not to feed it to them , her bunnies are 10 and 13 years old and very healthy. although admittedly they eat more fresh and hay than the mix

Could anyone take the elderly bun ? Not sure 100% on age but around 5 or 6.. She has been vaccinated.
Its not possible for myself or Hilda to take the bun at the moment we just haven't the funds to take her :( .. I can take the piggies though..
P.m if you could take this lovely gentle bun.

I can offer a waiting list place if you want it?

You would be around 3rd on the list, most are in foster care for a few weeks due to health problmes.

We can take her....when a space somes up..maybe able to arrange to meet nearer you Hilda ..on way to Father- in laws..:?

I can definately hang on to her for you..shall Karen and I go and have a wee look tomorrow then JIll?

Karen may be able to rehome her, but if not it would be great to be able to fall back on you. Thanks. I'll get a hold of Karen(her computer was playing up when I talked to her 10 mins ago) and arrange to go and get them. I'll pm you when I know more...Thanks so much Jill.:)

Thank you all for your help :D we are collecting the bun and piggies today.
The bun will be going to Jills and I'll will try and rehome the piggies myself..
Will post some pics later..

Last edited:
Back