• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ebay & Freead Rabbits

surely though it would be betteer for a rescue if an individual took a bun in and maybe get a little help from rescues rather than the rescue take it in and use all of their resources?

But the point is maybe they shouldn't take it in at all if they aren't able and prepared to take the consequences, so it's not a case of £100 or £30 for the rescue, there is also the option of £0. Rescues are well aware that there are freead situations, but there are far more of them than they are able to help. It's not ideal, but sadly it's a fact :(

Rescues don't just offer a space and money, they offer experience, expertise and knowledge. Many people couldn't deal with some of the things we get in, so why does any rabbit owner suddenly seem to think after 5 minutes of owning a rabbit, they are then in a postition to be rscuing? It's really an insult to what we do in my opinion.

I think the point is - SOME (some may i add) people take on free-ad buns and expect a rescue to take them in which means accomidation, vet bills and food.. I dont see a problem with free ad/ebay buns if your willing to take them on, fund any care needed and rehome to a decent home!

But the point is maybe they shouldn't take it in at all if they aren't able and prepared to take the consequences, so it's not a case of £100 or £30 for the rescue, there is also the option of £0. Rescues are well aware that there are freead situations, but there are far more of them than they are able to help. It's not ideal, but sadly it's a fact :(

Also if the rescues start handing out money from their already stretched resources they can take in LESS rabbits themselves because they won't have the same funding available for treatment and daily care of their own residents...in which case they may as well have taken the rabbit in the first place!

Rescues don't just offer a space and money, they offer experience, expertise and knowledge. Many people couldn't deal with some of the things we get in, so why does any rabbit owner suddenly seem to think after 5 minutes of owning a rabbit, they are then in a postition to be rscuing? It's really an insult to what we do in my opinion.

i hope that wasnt aimed at me?

thats a fair point about the rescues but as i said im looking to adopt and putting a lot of thought into it yet no matter what happens i know that i am bound to be on here asking for advice even if its about smudgie or myx as for it being an insult, isnt it good that people are asking for advice and looking for help so really you are helping a bun even though you havent physically rescued it?

I just don't get it.
If ANYONE saw an abused/neglected rabbit, you'd be fine for them to leave it :shock:
I know i wouldn't be able to do that... but if i did i'd assume it my responsibilty to rehabillitate and rehome/keep.
I don't think there should be any negative judgement, that rabbit is no less deserving than a bunny who's owners are moving house for instance.

Personally, i dont think ANYONE is an expert. Things are always changing, and theres always new updated ways of doing things - people are always learning. I think someone whos owned a rabbit 2+ years would be perfectly capable of rescuing - after all you gotta start somewhere!

I just don't get it.
If ANYONE saw an abused/neglected rabbit, you'd be fine for them to leave it :shock:
I know i wouldn't be able to do that... but if i did i'd assume it my responsibilty to rehabillitate and rehome/keep.
I don't think there should be any negative judgement, that rabbit is no less deserving than a bunny who's owners are moving house for instance.

We are not saying that these buns should be ignored, far from it. We are asking that people refer them to one person who has been nominated by the rescues on RU to assist them. Liz then will speak to the people concerned and will either contact a rescue directly if they are deemed either life threatening or at risk. If they are not at risk they will be advised on what they can do to rehome the animal concerned. This allows people who are involved with rescues to get on with caring for the animals in their care.

It is a know fact that rescues do not have enough places to take in rabbits and we have to prioritise and take in the more at risk animals. We all would love to help every animal we were asked to help but sadly we are unable to help all the animals we are asked to take in and prioritising the waiting list against at risk cases is something we have to do each day of the week.

Then start by fostering for an established rescue.

It wasn't aimed at anyone, it's just my opinion.

Spider, I'm not saying if you personally came across a suffering animal you should ignore it, but people go searching through the free ads which is very different. Why torture yourself?

Then start by fostering for an established rescue.

It wasn't aimed at anyone, it's just my opinion.

Spider, I'm not saying if you personally came across a suffering animal you should ignore it, but people go searching through the free ads which is very different. Why torture yourself?

The very reason i don't do it :lol:

I understand what you're saying if you want to dump it on a rescue but there have been people on here who have taken the buns themselves.

I guess the message is aimed towards people who post links and want a neighbouring member to help, if this person is not a rescue, again i see no problem.

I do deffinitely understand what you're saying though, i'm sure that everyone just wants to help.

I agree people only want to help, but sometimes it can get a bit much for all the rescues.

I agree with what you are saying about people who are asking rescues to take in such rabbits...

But I personally haven't seen anyone do that on here, I think people have generally asked for help....but that isn't directed directly at a rescue, it's to a forum of rabbit lovers... maybe I don't spend enough time on here.

But yes, people should perhaps keep it to themselves if they want to help out a rabbit... and to be honest you don't have to have ten years of experience rescuing to help a rabbit, so long as you are willing to seek advice from the correct people. I don't see how it is an insult for someone to take in an animal just because they don't have an established name as a rescue or are a registered charity. I take them in from people who contact me because I can, but I only do so if I have the time, money and space to do so correctly and safely.

I do also think that if people really want to help, that they should offer to foster for a rescue. I do so alongside any rabbits I might happen to take in (they are few and far between).

But I personally haven't seen anyone do that on here, I think people have generally asked for help....but that isn't directed directly at a rescue, it's to a forum of rabbit lovers... maybe I don't spend enough time on here.

People contact rescues via all the non public routes and many will contact a number of rescues requesting them to take in an animal.

This is true. I've got myself into right situations taking on free ad buns & 2 Rescues on here helped me out no end with them:oops: EC or a surprise litter anyone?

I learnt my lesson - I no longer look at the free ads - I have found that those few people I contacted years ago :? have passed on my number enough to keep me in foster buns:roll: They do go on a Rescue waiting list, but I try to get them neutered/healthchecked (as much as I can) so at least I'm not costing the Rescue money:oops:

The bottom line is if you you want a rabbit or any animal then feel free to look where ever you want and get it from where ever you want but don't go looking for rabbits on these sites thinking you are doing a rescue a favour by finding us rescues as we really do not need to go looking for them and by all means you take on the rabbits that you deem 'At Risk' but take them on as your own and not expecting a rescue to pay for the consequence of unexpected litters, poorly rabbits and whatever else comes with them. I am intriqued that people sit scouring these site for rabbits not really wanting one for themselves but think a rescue might be able to help one. You can probably ask every rescue on here even run a poll and not one rescue will say they search the freeads looking for rabbits to take in:).

I am still utterly amazed that people consider free ad or ebay rabbits as more sad and more of a rescue than an actual rescue rabbit :shock: That really does say it all :(

Back