• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ebay & Freead Rabbits

Yep

We took Levi who was brought to our attention from the free ads..as he was an "at risk" bunny..if you saw his pics you would see why we took him immediately..but most aren't in this situation

And if any Tom. Di*k or Harry were allowed to fundraise you , sadly, would get people taking advantage of this

If anyone wants to help..

Adopt don't buy
Fundraise for your local rescue
Offer to foster for an establisehd rescue
Neuter your own animals
And help to raise awareness...make posters for your local stores etc.

done mean to be a bore but do people not normally post them out of concern?? like the little bun that andrea now has is a free ad bun is it not that kayj went and got for her im confused lol

Who is Andrea and what bun:?

I agree with Jill on the fundraising. The fundraising rection was started to help the rescues on here:D

have to agree with other rescuers posts on here ......
we have a waiting list...most people on there have genuine reasons for giving up their buns...they are going to the trouble of finding a rescue space for their bun...most are willing to wait ..

if we were to take buns from freeadds then what happens to all those on our list...they already dont count as priority as theyu are not in danger...priority goes to strays ..then at risk buns...

idont EVER look on freeadds for bunnys ... i know they are there but i dont need to be tortured by being reminded i cant help them:(

good post tamsin & I think it would be a good idea to sticky it here. It's much better to have one person contact the individual about putting their bunny on the rehoming section of Rabbit Rehome or contacting a rescue rather than them getting a deluge & most rescues have waiting lists so cannot help straight away unless the rabbit is at serious risk.

Sadly there are some on free ads who are at risk. The type of people giving them up are also not the type of people to care who or where the rabbits end up, and they aren't the type of people willing to wait until a rescue has space. There is nothing wrong imo of people taking free ad bunnies, so long as they are willing to cover costs themselves and take on the task of rehoming themselves.

Sadly there are some on free ads who are at risk. The type of people giving them up are also not the type of people to care who or where the rabbits end up, and they aren't the type of people willing to wait until a rescue has space. There is nothing wrong imo of people taking free ad bunnies, so long as they are willing to cover costs themselves and take on the task of rehoming themselves.

But if they have space, in my opinion it would be better to take on a rescue bun and create a space in rescue for those who are experienced to take these 'at risk' rabbits in.

But if they have space, in my opinion it would be better to take on a rescue bun and create a space in rescue for those who are experienced to take these 'at risk' rabbits in.

But if a rescue is not willing to take in a free ad bunny, how does that then help the rabbit... does it have to wait until it's actually been dumped or injured before it gets help.

Like I said, it's up to an individual. I have five rescue rabbits and I have taken countless in from people who have wanted to give them up for various reasons, and I have paid for the vet bills and sorted out rehoming.

But if a rescue is not willing to take in a free ad bunny, how does that then help the rabbit... does it have to wait until it's actually been dumped or injured before it gets help.

Like I said, it's up to an individual. I have five rescue rabbits and I have taken countless in from people who have wanted to give them up for various reasons, and I have paid for the vet bills and sorted out rehoming.

Because if someone was worried by a advert they could be send an email directing to a rescue that could help. If the rescues were rehoming more, they would have the space to offer and not have to place them on a waiting list.

We are not saying that all animals offered on the free ads are not at risk, this is why we have set up a system whereby we have someone who will contact the person making the advert who then can make an assessment on our behalf to assess the urgency of the situation, depending on the findings they will either arrange for the animal (s) to be picked up and taken to a rescue with space or they will advise the person on alternative options available to safely rehome the animal (s).

The problem with people taking on a free ad animal is that many do not realise the implications regarding infection and do not take on adequate quarantine precautions to protect their own animals.

Many people are not aware of the financial implications regarding taking on a free ad rabbit, some may 'simply' require 2 vaccinations and to be neutered and then be ready to be rehomed. However it is the animals people get home and then suddenly realise they maybe pregnant or have long term health implications that they cannot afford. Vaccinating and neutering one rabbit may be within the reach of some people, but having taken on one animal who promptly gives birth to a litter of 5 will result in expenses which will be out of the reach of many people. All the rescues on RU are reguarly approached by people who have taken on animals that people descide they do not have the room for or who cannot afford the expenses of who thought they could afford them. The problem is that the health of free ad buns is an unknown commodity until the person taking them gets them home and discovers what the issues are, it is too late then ...

Because if someone was worried by a advert they could be send an email directing to a rescue that could help. If the rescues were rehoming more, they would have the space to offer and not have to place them on a waiting list.

Yes, that's sensible. But what I am saying is if an individual can take a rabbit in off the ads that they deem is at risk, and is able to provide the space and money to sort the rabbit out without relying on a rescue, then they shouldn't be penalized for it. I still think those rabbits deserve help.

Again, sometimes the type of people advertising these rabbits are not the type of people to take advice from a rescue who tries to give them advice, they are more likely to laugh at a rescue because unfortunately they don't look upon rabbits the same way we do. They just see them as an object and are devoid of actually caring about them. Obviously these are a small minority of ads, most are just people wanting to give them up because they are bored.

im kinda rubbish at this but if the rescue rehomes them or a person re homes them whats the difference and if the rescue has no space then is it not better that soemone rehomes them???:?

There have been a few postings all within the space of a couple of minutes here that I suspect were all done at the same time...I think Janice's post pretty much answers the points raised in the subsequent ones :)

We are not saying that all animals offered on the free ads are not at risk, this is why we have set up a system whereby we have someone who will contact the person making the advert who then can make an assessment on our behalf to assess the urgency of the situation, depending on the findings they will either arrange for the animal (s) to be picked up and taken to a rescue with space or they will advise the person on alternative options available to safely rehome the animal (s).

The problem with people taking on a free ad animal is that many do not realise the implications regarding infection and do not take on adequate quarantine precautions to protect their own animals.

Many people are not aware of the financial implications regarding taking on a free ad rabbit, some may 'simply' require 2 vaccinations and to be neutered and then be ready to be rehomed. However it is the animals people get home and then suddenly realise they maybe pregnant or have long term health implications that they cannot afford. Vaccinating and neutering one rabbit may be within the reach of some people, but having taken on one animal who promptly gives birth to a litter of 5 will result in expenses which will be out of the reach of many people. All the rescues on RU are reguarly approached by people who have taken on animals that people descide they do not have the room for or who cannot afford the expenses of who thought they could afford them. The problem is that the health of free ad buns is an unknown commodity until the person taking them gets them home and discovers what the issues are, it is too late then ...

aaaaa this kind of answers mine lol

if the person putting the advert for the bun contacted us we would then take the rabbit ...either as soon as we had space if we thought it was at risk...or it would go on our waiting list...

we have no objection to taking buns who are on freeadds...just the principle of going out and looking for them or other people looking for them and asking .

hence the idea that a pm to hugo there ..who would then suggest to them contacting a rescue or at least checking out potential homes :)

Back