• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ebay & Freead Rabbits

i didnt think the issue was people getting themselves freead bunnies.. i thought it was that people search out what they see as needy buns then post the bunnies on this forum, someone feels obliged to then save that bunny and then the rest of RU are then guilted into helping pay for these saved bunnies...

i feel really sorry for the REAL rescues who use this forum but dont have the time to post on here due to looking after the bunnies everyone overlooks... they also lose out on valuable donations while everyone is rushing to give cash to the hero who just rescued the poor bunny/bunnies that was on ebay :( so many poor souls in these rescues (who are registered charities) need sponsorship and funding but with so little cash to go around somebun somewhere is losing out :cry::cry: i like the no advertising on RU rule it gives the rescues a chance to continue to operate how they always have done

i think good on the people who take in unwanted buns but why use the forum to help fund it or take away a potential home from a rescue??

Here, here, this is what the thread is actually supposed to be about.

So is this forum only designed to rehome those rabbits in registered rescues then...

I must have missed people on here asking for money for free ad buns :?

Why run a rescue if you cant gie them large enough accomodation? hmm not fine for pets at home but fine for you hmm

A rescue is a temporary accomodation, if i had full size hutch setups i could only take in a third of the rabbits i do, many on here have seen my setup and praise what i have done, think its so easy? You have a :censored: try then.

Sorry, don't want to speck out of turn or anything, but I think every rabbit deserves help, whether it's on ebay or someone who has put a rabbit on a rescues' doorstep. :cry:

*sighs* this is the problem we face all the time. I just had a mouthful of abuse including a few four letter words before the phone was slammed down on me by someone wanting to take on a cat. They were waiting for vouchers to get the existing male neutered and when asked why they wanted to take on another cat if they couldn't afford the cost of neutering they went off on one. Problem is, some people just won't listen and want what they want, not whats best for the animal.

It has been fully explained very well a few times in this thread why the free ads and ebay rabbits should not be put on here, but some people just want to argue because they think they know better :roll: Quite frankly, i have rocks to bash my head on over enough things without trying to get through to people like that.

you really have no understanding do you :shock:

a rescue is a safe haven for animals untill new homes are found :roll:[/QUOT

oh whatever look at all these rescues they wouldnt have a life if they couldnt sit on here going woe is me all day. all bunnies should be helped

sorry, you don't make much sense... you mean that rescuers would have a life if they didn't sit on here woe is me?

I think you should rethink that statement, the rescues on here are fantastic, and so are the people that rescue bunnies... be it from free ads or whatever.

Tamsin has posted this up just to reaffirm the rules.

Please play nice.

Sorry, don't want to speck out of turn or anything, but I think every rabbit deserves help, whether it's on ebay or someone who has put a rabbit on a rescues' doorstep. :cry:

Agreed, every bun does deserve help, the thread is just saying, just because an individual see a freead, and posts it on the forum, doesn't give them excuse to jump the waiting list if that makes sense :)
Also saying if someone takes in a freead bun, it is their responsibility as they have made the decision

just wanted to add further to my earlier post that i think the rescue points are highly valid and can see why fundraising by individuals is not apprichiated.

before anyone new who doesnt know me thinks i am seeing only one view.....

i wanted to foster for a rescue but was deemed too far from any of the rescues i contacted(this is no slight on anyone they are doing their best by the bunnys i know that!) and so choose that when i can afford to if there is what i deem to be an at risk rabbit neeeding to be taken in, then i take in that bun, neuter vaccinate, pannacur and any other health issues(such as cocos dental escapades) which i pay myself i have never fundraised on here but have asked adoptees for a nominal fee so that i can possibly do the same for another future bun the people rehomed to always know i am not a rescue.

with regards to raising awareness and helping rescues i do donate to rescues and thier appeals, and i have helped at an arc stalll, i have done numerous bunny runs and have been to alices to clean out and help out including donating items to various rescues. and i do think for most people this is the best things to be doing... as it helps more than just one bunny and helps the bigger picture!

i think that this original post is not trying to critisce those of us who CHOOSE to do this.so please other freead takers oners dont get offended.

it is meant to raise awareness that a bun whos plight you may see should not be advertised on ru whereby a rescue is made to feel they must help out(even when other cases they know of are more urgent) therefore the best way to help these buns is to offer a freindly advice pm/email telling them about rescues and about how much more rehomable their bun would be if they offered vaccinations/neuters etc but put in a nice way ... and to save us all the trouble liz (hugos there) will send the email for you if you pm her regarding a situation.
anyhows just wanted to say thankyou to those who made me understand about the fundraising bit.x

Agreed, every bun does deserve help, the thread is just saying, just because an individual see a freead, and posts it on the forum, doesn't give them excuse to jump the waiting list if that makes sense :)
Also saying if someone takes in a freead bun, it is their responsibility as they have made the decision

Thank you for clearing that up for me. :)

*sighs* this is the problem we face all the time. I just had a mouthful of abuse including a few four letter words before the phone was slammed down on me by someone wanting to take on a cat. They were waiting for vouchers to get the existing male neutered and when asked why they wanted to take on another cat if they couldn't afford the cost of neutering they went off on one. Problem is, some people just won't listen and want what they want, not whats best for the animal.

It has been fully explained very well a few times in this thread why the free ads and ebay rabbits should not be put on here, but some people just want to argue because they think they know better :roll: Quite frankly, i have rocks to bash my head on over enough things without trying to get through to people like that.

Yeah exactly, I can't help but wonder if some people are actually completely void of any intelligence or willfully miss the point just to be annoying and play devil's advocate.

To the people arguing - no-one has denied that all animals at risk deserve help, but the point is that rescues are already under huge pressure and have waiting lists, and being told about free ads and pressured to help those aswell, or having to take on rabbits from people who have "rescued" from a free-ad and then find they can't cope is unfair on all involved and the rabbits who are on a waiting list to be rescued. I don't understand why this is a hard concept to grasp even for a person of the most limited intellect :roll:.

I totally agree with the original post. Well said :thumb:.

Totally agree. I think if people wanna help an ebay bunny/free ad bunny and have the means to do it (by that i mean knowledge and money) then thats one less bunny thats got to be placed into an actual rescue
I helped rescue an ebay bunny - and the lady in question payed for health checks, vaccs and neuter and is arranging a new home :) I didnt see her ask for a single penny off RU members!
If admin/mods dont want it posted on here, fair game and i can see why they dont want that happening, and I know how hard rescues on here work, but if people wanna help buns privatley then they should be allowed to without being made to feel guilty or that they should be running a "full rescue" to allow them to help bunnys

This is difficult for me to say, but i am going to be honest, to show some of you that best intentions dont always have great outcomes you expect

My mum had a bunny at her work, she worked with people who had learning difficulties. They adored their current bunny, who had a large hutch, spayed, vaccinated. right food, spoiled rotten by 10 people every day. Just like the rest of us. They couldnt notice like us if the bunny got sick for example, but thats why my mum was around, to help whenever needed.

We decided Treacle, needed a friend since her sister passed away. I made a post on here and was looking for a rescue bunny..

I heard about an individual bun who needed a home, no adoption charge, but no neuter or vacs. I thought 'well it will put less pressure of rescues to take him and i wouldnt like him to end up anywhere"

When i got him he was overweight, long claws, in stasis and generally a very sick rabbit. £200+ later he was in his new home with treacle. But i didnt have the cash and struggled.

I tried to do the right thing, and i thought i was helping. But unless i had the cash to deal with any problem i shouldnt have taken him on but i didnt realise this.

Since this whole thing, Cookie and Treacle now live with me on a temporary basis, until a new home is found as someone at my mums work caused trouble and we had to bring them here.

All im trying to say is, its not stupid,inconsiderate people who always do this. its people who GENUINLY think they r doing good, and..sometimes can do.

But you have to be prepared to do it all yourself and oay everything from your own pocket.

I am glad i did what i did purely because i have grown to adore cookie, and i dread to think what could have happened. But...i wont be doing it again.

Well done to all the rescues who deal with situations like this and ten times worse daily. Youre all amazing and i hope i havent offened anybody.

x

This is difficult for me to say, but i am going to be honest, to show some of you that best intentions dont always have great outcomes you expect

My mum had a bunny at her work, she worked with people who had learning difficulties. They adored their current bunny, who had a large hutch, spayed, vaccinated. right food, spoiled rotten by 10 people every day. Just like the rest of us. They couldnt notice like us if the bunny got sick for example, but thats why my mum was around, to help whenever needed.

We decided Treacle, needed a friend since her sister passed away. I made a post on here and was looking for a rescue bunny..

I heard about an individual bun who needed a home, no adoption charge, but no neuter or vacs. I thought 'well it will put less pressure of rescues to take him and i wouldnt like him to end up anywhere"

When i got him he was overweight, long claws, in stasis and generally a very sick rabbit. £200+ later he was in his new home with treacle. But i didnt have the cash and struggled.

I tried to do the right thing, and i thought i was helping. But unless i had the cash to deal with any problem i shouldnt have taken him on but i didnt realise this.

Since this whole thing, Cookie and Treacle now live with me on a temporary basis, until a new home is found as someone at my mums work caused trouble and we had to bring them here.

All im trying to say is, its not stupid,inconsiderate people who always do this. its people who GENUINLY think they r doing good, and..sometimes can do.

But you have to be prepared to do it all yourself and oay everything from your own pocket.

I am glad i did what i did purely because i have grown to adore cookie, and i dread to think what could have happened. But...i wont be doing it again.

Well done to all the rescues who deal with situations like this and ten times worse daily. Youre all amazing and i hope i havent offened anybody.

x

firstly, well done tamsin for posting this! it is one of the rules of the forum and its obviously thgere for a good reason! i myself am looking for a bun (im getting broodie again) and am looking at rescues and free-adds, purely because i think its unfair to travel 5 hours to adopt a bunny. i was worried enough about smudgie on the way home and that was only a couple of hours which is why i am really thinking deeply and soul searching.

secondly i can see both points, the rescues are doing such a great and brilliant job that really does leave me in awe of them. it is unfair for them to put so much hard work in to rescuing, raising and looking after so many rabbits, to be bypassed by the possibility of having an almost free rabbit.

however, in missyj's post i tend to think surely it is better for an individual to find this money than to put even m ore pressure on a rescue to raise this kind of money and potentially take money away from the other buns they have.

then again as i write this ive realised that many people put in that situation wouldnt have helped the bun and abandoned it leaving it in an even worse state making it harder for the rescues.

sorry this is pointless and i dont mean to cause trouble as i can agree with the rules.

firstly, well done tamsin for posting this! it is one of the rules of the forum and its obviously thgere for a good reason! i myself am looking for a bun (im getting broodie again) and am looking at rescues and free-adds, purely because i think its unfair to travel 5 hours to adopt a bunny. i was worried enough about smudgie on the way home and that was only a couple of hours which is why i am really thinking deeply and soul searching.

secondly i can see both points, the rescues are doing such a great and brilliant job that really does leave me in awe of them. it is unfair for them to put so much hard work in to rescuing, raising and looking after so many rabbits, to be bypassed by the possibility of having an almost free rabbit.

however, in missyj's post i tend to think surely it is better for an individual to find this money than to put even m ore pressure on a rescue to raise this kind of money and potentially take money away from the other buns they have.

then again as i write this ive realised that many people put in that situation wouldnt have helped the bun and abandoned it leaving it in an even worse state making it harder for the rescues.

sorry this is pointless and i dont mean to cause trouble as i can agree with the rules.

i think if the individual would come up with the cash, and the bun was suffering, then its not a bad thing.

But i think its wrong for people to assume others r going to jump in and help. I didnt assume that but i certainly didnt think i had the money for such things.

I think cookie needed to be 'rescued' and he was. but it shoukd hav ebeen by a rescue or by someone who knew what they were getting into :D

x

You didn't take the bun expecting a rescue to step in and this is what rescues are trying to say.
They way I feel about this whole Freeads/ebay business is that if people want to help these buns then fine that is up to you and thanks to this forum time & time again there have been warnings about what to expect if you take them on, what is happening is people are taking them on and then contacting rescues to bail them out so to speak. Rescues are more than aware that every bun we take in from the public isn't necessary the true story or facts but that is up to us and we deal with it and don't expect another rescue to sort it out.

The thing is all this has been said many times before and for a few weeks everyone tows the line and follows the correct rules of the forum and then all the ads start appearing on here again and this thread or a similar thread will start again and we will go over and over it again. I think that people should just adhere to the rule Tamsin as made and not think that an ad that they have seen on freeads/ebay is ok because it is a desperate situation.

Here is an example of a situation I am in at the minute. I have a list of 10rabbits needing rescue places as lok happens these buns aren't desperate so have got to be on my list a bit longer because I have rabbits running around a neigbourhood, giving birth and have been doing for 2 months thanks to their owner leaving the house 2months ago. So I have to prioritise and get them in first to get the females neutered so they aren't producing babies all over the place and making the situation a whole lot worse and trust me it has been a hard few weeks and is still going on which is going to make my waiting list a bit longer for those rabbits coming into rescue.

surely though it would be betteer for a rescue if an individual took a bun in and maybe get a little help from rescues rather than the rescue take it in and use all of their resources? for example say a bun had a mega vet bill for £100 and the person could get the £70 but just needed a little help to raise the next £30 that would be better than a rescue spending the £100 plus food and accomodation?

i know that this means many people will start taking buns and expecting rescues to bail them out which is wrong and therefore the rescue will be in the right to refuse the person.

Back