• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ebay & Freead Rabbits

I totally agree with the point made about taking a rescue rather than a free add bunny if you have space. It will free up space in rescues.

Maybe people will understand it more if you put it in terms of dogs or cats? Would you expect them to be able to take all dogs or cats that were advertised in local papers, or would you expect them to already be busy with animals that come through normal channels?

I am in total agreement with what has been explained by the Rescue folks on here.

People should always be referred to a rescue as the first method of help. I have taken on a Preloved bun last December, when it was brought to my attention on here.

However, my first point of contact with the owner was to offer advice and not to offer to take the rabbits. I made myself available to help if they didn't find the kind of home that they needed for their rabbits (they were emigrating). I did speak to ARC about the matter before offering a placement and the rabbits were accounted for in the future intake plans.

When it came to it, after 4 months of the owners trying themselves to rehome, Harriet came to me. I have accepted responsibility for her and when she is more settled, we may use ARC to advertise her but would never just expect them to cough up for her care. That is down to me.

I don't like the idea of rabbits jumping queues just because someone goes and gets them from ebay or the like with no thought of what happens next. It just means that a rabbit that has been assessed for a place may be pushed further down the queue for a rescue place, with the owners, who may be trying to do the right thing being penalised for being patient. The owner who just wanted to give up their rabbits on Freeads in effect being rewarded for offering them there.

I have recently taken on a pair of private fosters for a lady who needed to get them out of a horrid welfare situation. She contacted me before doing so and we decided upon a course of action. She is paying and I am fostering. So no rescue is dragged into the situation.

That again was my choice and I wouldn't expect anyone else to have to pick up the pieces.

We just can't help all of the bunnies that are being ill cared for, BUT, what we can all do is to put our energy into stopping rescuing being so necessary. Get behind campaigns to raise welfare awareness, tell everyone you know how bad rabbits have it in this country and get the message out there. Join the Make Mine Chocolate campaign. If we try and use our time to stop the problem of rabbits being throw away pets at the root of the problem, then maybe we wouldn't see so many being offered up in the ads!

I think as was explained earlier they only take them in if they appear to be desparate ie ill or have babies that are at risk.

No the point is that bunnies in rescues have been waiting for homes for a long time. If someone has space for a bunny they find on ebay then they had space for one in a rescue. So they are no longer a potential home for a rescue bunny who has to wait even longer for a home. Rescue bunnies would never stand a chance at getting rehomed if everyone who is thinking of a new bunny searched ebay or freecycle for one.

Ebay and freecycle make it very easy for people who use the internet to see these buns in need and feel sorry for them but in reality there are lots of bunnies out there that rescues are aware of that dont get the same publicity.

No the point is that bunnies in rescues have been waiting for homes for a long time. If someone has space for a bunny they find on ebay then they had space for one in a rescue. So they are no longer a potential home for a rescue bunny who has to wait even longer for a home. Rescue bunnies would never stand a chance at getting rehomed if everyone who is thinking of a new bunny searched ebay or freecycle for one.

Ebay and freecycle make it very easy for people who use the internet to see these buns in need and feel sorry for them but in reality there are lots of bunnies out there that rescues are aware of that dont get the same publicity.

Exactly. It is supporting the work that rescues do and enabling them to do more by creating spaces.

I understand but buns in rescues are never seem as sad as freecycle buns, but thats just my opinion

I have a terminally ill bun here, and 4 that have been here since they were 8 weeks old, they are now just over a year.... what gives a free-ad bun more of a chance than them? More sad? These poor buns have NEVER had a home of their own, they have been in rescue since they have been away from mum.

We have plenty of 'sad' cases, but we made them better. If people would adopt them we could do it all over for the at risk buns people get so het up about! thats the kind of statement that infuriates me :censored:

I understand but buns in rescues are never seem as sad as freecycle buns, but thats just my opinion

I have to totally disagree with you. Most cases of rabbits found in rescues are heartbreaking to say the least. Some remain in there for a year or more. Rabbits on Freeads or on Ebay aren't necessarily at such risk, it's normally that the buns are just no longer wanted, or excess breeding stock.

Any unwanted rabbit is a sad situation. This passing around of buns because people can't be bothered any more has to stop!

What's sad is that people underestimate just how many unwanted rabbits there are out there that we just don't know about.

By taking on a rabbit from a freead, this is not necessarily helping that bunny. I know of someone who took it upon themselves to take a bun in this way and she ended in a similarly unsuitable situation. If the idea that people can just get rid of their pets on freeads because people will always be there to take them away, the 'trade' will continue, it perpetuates the whole thing.

Well you see my dear the difference is they are "well " looked after at yours. When someone is giving their rabbit away for free quickly and cant be bothered to homecheck or at least be bothered where it is going. I'm sure you'd agree thats sad

You are coming across as being totally condescending, and you have only been on this forum five minutes.:shock:

Well you see my dear the difference is they are "well " looked after at yours. When someone is giving their rabbit away for free quickly and cant be bothered to homecheck or at least be bothered where it is going. I'm sure you'd agree thats sad

Well "my dear" They may be well looked after, but they deserve to have a larger accomodation, one on one care and attention, and a family of their own.
Because "little harry" got bored of his "toy" does not give his bun more reason to have a home, 2 buns (2 are now off to a new home) have been here a year, i think that is long enough to have to wait. Their first christmas was spent in rescue.

This is the way I chat.Sorry to offend I didnt realise we had to follow one line of thinking

We don't and if you actually read more of the posts on the forum before you said that then you would realise that we do all think about things very differently at times. BUT ultimately most of us are rescuers and that is what we are passionate about.

Why run a rescue if you cant gie them large enough accomodation? hmm not fine for pets at home but fine for you hmm

May I respectfully suggest that you sling your hook as you are obviously not at all interested in understanding what is involved in rescuing. Why are you on the forum exactly? Did you come to learn or to make trouble?

i didnt think the issue was people getting themselves freead bunnies.. i thought it was that people search out what they see as needy buns then post the bunnies on this forum, someone feels obliged to then save that bunny and then the rest of RU are then guilted into helping pay for these saved bunnies...

i feel really sorry for the REAL rescues who use this forum but dont have the time to post on here due to looking after the bunnies everyone overlooks... they also lose out on valuable donations while everyone is rushing to give cash to the hero who just rescued the poor bunny/bunnies that was on ebay :( so many poor souls in these rescues (who are registered charities) need sponsorship and funding but with so little cash to go around somebun somewhere is losing out :cry::cry: i like the no advertising on RU rule it gives the rescues a chance to continue to operate how they always have done

i think good on the people who take in unwanted buns but why use the forum to help fund it or take away a potential home from a rescue??

I wasnt aware that free speech was causing trouble

Free speech doesn't cause trouble if you consider what your gonna say before it flies out of your mouth. So your rubbing people up the wrong way on this thread too? I was worried it was only mine - i was getting paranoid :lol:

Back