• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Domino has an abscess U/D post 54 - its still there

well i suppose with Jelly as a mamma he will deffo get better, she wont let him get too sick ill bet :love: :love:

please keep us updated how he gets on hun xxx

Well its kind of a catch 22, he is too chubby he needs to lose weight, but he wont take septrin off any greens, he smells it and ignores it, like he knows it shouldnt smell like that.

He will it off mashed banana, or he will eat it off a bit of dried brown bread :/ Im not happy about giving him too much of either.

However, it broke my heart to see my bond break down with Peanut, he ended up hating me and hiding shaking whenever i went near him and....I cant do it to him, we have such a close bond and he is already a bit wary of me after all the feet checking.

So do I just syringe it and stress him, or is it okay to give him what he wants if he is taking the meds stress free? personally i would rather give him what he wants because I dont want him to hate me and i know thats bad

They are going out in the run 8:30am - evening every day to try and get him more active, (not their run they have 24 hr access to, the one on the grass!), so fingers crossed

Have you tried syringing him to see how he takes to it? Different bunnies will have different responses to it. Skye hates it, but Tim thinks it's some kind of special treat :roll: Alternatively could you compensate for the banana by cutting down some of his other food or, ummm, chasing him around a bit more :lol:

Oh no poor Domino :( But you have so much experience with what happened with PB he is in good hands and Im sure he will be fine!

Poor Domino. Sending lots of vibes for him.
If he likes it on a teeny bit of bread or banana I would just keep on like that and maybe cut down pellets a bit? x

Poor Domino. Sending lots of vibes for him.
If he likes it on a teeny bit of bread or banana I would just keep on like that and maybe cut down pellets a bit? x

Ive basically decided to put the girls out first in the morning so he can eat alone, and feed the girls in the run in the evening so he can have a seperate diet, and I have given him like a few pellets as opposed to a few handfuls between all three to compensate. And no treats at all unless they have septrin on.

He gets so stressed when i look at his feet I know he would hate syringing, an is 1.5ml so its quite alot.

He thinks its great getting food, and as selfish as it is i would rather keep him happy and think im treating him, than think im hurting him.

Ive basically decided to put the girls out first in the morning so he can eat alone, and feed the girls in the run in the evening so he can have a seperate diet, and I have given him like a few pellets as opposed to a few handfuls between all three to compensate. And no treats at all unless they have septrin on.

He gets so stressed when i look at his feet I know he would hate syringing, an is 1.5ml so its quite alot.

He thinks its great getting food, and as selfish as it is i would rather keep him happy and think im treating him, than think im hurting him.

yep I think that's the best way.
I ended up with Picollo being very afraid of me for a time as I was having to put him in his carrier and drive for the vets so often for his chemo that we were starting to question whther it was fair cos he'd just hide the minute he saw us. Thankfully he went into remission and so far *touches wood* no recurrence.
If you can avoid stressing him if at all poss i think that's great. x

Thats the thing, if they live in fear of you then you feel cruel by giving them treatment and I know one of the reasons I let peanut go was because meds stressed him too much and a life of meds wouldnt be fair.

I guess on some level I am trying to avoid ever giving them orally so that if we get to the stage Peanut was at, and it was the choice of the big op, make or break - or longterm meds, i can go for longterm meds because it wouldnt affect his life quality, where as with Peanut it did.

I'm so sorry to hear about Domino but hopefully he stands a very good chance of a full recovery as you've caught it so early.

I'm inclined to agree - I'd much rather give meds hidden in food if possible. As long as he's having the least amount of food possible to hide the meds in & no treats at other times, it shouldn't do him much harm.

Sending lots of vibes. x

The septrin 14 days is over.

It looks worse. It is very weepy, and much redder. It did nothing. I was so sure it would. I dont want to be negative, but at least with Peanut the medication worked at first - it just kept coming back.

We cant even manage to get rid of it with Domino. Feel so helpless.

Vibes please, vets this evening

Sorry to hear it's worse. What worked for Toadstool was a mix of septrin, depocillin injections (the vet taught me how to do them myself) and loads of high factor manuka honey syringed into the abscess after it had been flushed. It really did work miracles. Sending vibes for tonight...

He had been doing very well, I hadn't posted about it as I didnt want to tempt fate. But he now has abscesses on both feet, small ones but they're there none the less. Feel a bit numb. But, we'll get there. I hope.

Back