• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does your bunny binky?

I'm curious, do the binkier bunnies have different areas of access/exercise times? Being let out seems a particular trigger so I wonder if those that come out for exercise time binky more (whoopppeee I'm out) as opposed to those that are free range all the time (meh, I can binky whenever I'm napping right now) ?

mine do - they have the side of house by their shed in the morning (an hour) then after work (or in the afternoon on weekends when we're home) they have half the garden - nearly all grass - and even if i change the shape slightly, they go nuts, they loooooooove it! i love that they love it!

And then when its raining or windy, they come in the house, and have entire house (except our bedroom) and rupert loves that even more.

interestingly (well, i think it is) rupert was a stray, rescued by rspca inspector, and prefers being in the house, where its safe, he's very alert and worried outside (even tho he still binkies etc). Tia on the other hand was kept in small hutch with 8 toher rabbits, so she prefers the open air, as much space as possible... she panics in enclosed spaces (not that shes ever in a small space excpet vet visit, in carrier).

I'm curious, do the binkier bunnies have different areas of access/exercise times? Being let out seems a particular trigger so I wonder if those that come out for exercise time binky more (whoopppeee I'm out) as opposed to those that are free range all the time (meh, I can binky whenever I'm napping right now) ?

I think you're right Tamsin. Both my have buns free ranged the house & can go into the garden when they ask as well as set times. Neither binky much, although Benjie attempts to binky sometimes when we go into the long sitting room. He's still very nervous & is only happy downstairs if I'm with him all the time. He's heavy at the back end so he can only binky 1 end at a time!!

When he was young, Thumper did something which superficially looked like binkies, but was actually predator escape practice which became increasingly complex. (He'd always thump at some point during his run with high, long leaps, bucks & twists in the air.) It was also very much for my benefit, (he didn't do it on his own). At the end his whole body posture said, "look at what a fit, strong, healthy buck I am. I can escape from anything. I've really good genes". He stopped doing it very suddenly.

When he became more poorly but felt well enough to go outside, He'd often do a mini "escape practice" as if to ensure he was still fit enough to reach safety.

Benjie is just an out- in bunny. Goes out for a couple of mins then pelts back in, staying out longer each time.

So I think you're right it's a "woweee - can really stretch my legs" & possibly like with mine, a predator escape practice in some cases.

Back