• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Moving bunny (has been living wild) indoors

thelionbing

New Kit
Hi,

Sorry this will be a bit of a long post but new here and could really do with some advice. I have never owned a rabbit before.

I have recently bought a house and two lop bunnies were living wild in the garden. Previous owner passed a while back but someone said they have been there for about a year. Have tried to find potential owners incase they escaped but have been unsuccessful. I named them Bing and Dandelion.

I bought them a hutch and some other bits and got them used to me a bit each day, now they are eating out of my hands and will sometimes tolerate some strokes from me. They are always cuddled up together and grooming each other. This next part breaks my heart.

Dandelion seems to have disappeared. Haven't seen her all week. They have used the hutch to eat but didn't stay in there, but now the remaining bunny seems to be spending more time in there and I'm guessing it is because she doesn't have her cuddle buddy to warm up with now 😢 I have bought a camera so I can monitor the garden for Dandelion incase she is still about. They seem to have had constant access to other gardens but chose to stay in mine, they spend time in the garden but mainly underneath the shed where they have dug burrows.

I have always been worried about them being out in the cold but now am super concerned about Bing now being out there alone and plus just her not having her cuddle buddy and what I am guessing is her sister 💔. My plan is to try and bring her inside into an indoor run whilst continuing to look for poor Dandelion.

DOES anyone think this is a good or bad idea? have been researching and know to keep the room as cold as possible, she will have quite a coat considering how long she has been living wild. Will this be super traumatic for her after being outdoors for so long?

Any advice very appreciated 🙏
Rachael

Attachments

• IMG_8521.PNG
    IMG_8521.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
Sadly being taken by a predator is a real possibility for any Rabbit living ‘wild’.

Bringing the other Rabbit indoors might be stressful, but you won’t know unless you try. IMO she should not be kept free roaming outdoors at all but in a large safe set up. She would also need a companion.

A Vet check is essential. Are you certain that she is a she ? If so she’s unlikely to be spayed or vaccinated. Both being essential for health and welfare reasons. A Vet check and getting a secure set up in place for her to live, one much bigger than just a hutch, would be my priority.

The best source of information about all things relating to the care of rabbits is the Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund. You will find lots of information about suitable housing there, both indoor and outdoor.

Well done for trying to help the abandoned Rabbits, I really hope that Dandelion will turn up.

I haven't been living there long at all and the first thing I did was contact rescue centres to try and get a rabbit safe trap but they said they don't work for rabbits. Someone suggested throwing a towel over them and containing them that way but I felt it would be so traumatic for them and once I had one the other may not come near me afterwards so I'd only be able to get one. I figured it was best to get them to trust me and then get them contained.

It is a decent sized hutch and I now have a run that I am going to put up today, if she goes in I will quickly shut it over.

I feel so guilty for not trying this sooner, it's making me feel sick. I was trying to do right by them and feel I have let them down.

I am not sure she is a she, it's just a guess based on information from the internet due to the size of her dewlap. I agree she is very likely unspayed, unvaccinated and needs a vet visit.

Do you think that containing her outdoors would be a better option than bringing her indoors whilst she is alone? I have got an indoor run too and have gotten some good tarpaulin to keep out the nasty weather

I am going to do some research now about getting her a companion.

Thank you so much for the response!

Attachments

• PXL_20231128_120320661.jpg
    PXL_20231128_120320661.jpg
    610.7 KB · Views: 7
I haven't been living there long at all and the first thing I did was contact rescue centres to try and get a rabbit safe trap but they said they don't work for rabbits. Someone suggested throwing a towel over them and containing them that way but I felt it would be so traumatic for them and once I had one the other may not come near me afterwards so I'd only be able to get one. I figured it was best to get them to trust me and then get them contained.

It is a decent sized hutch and I now have a run that I am going to put up today, if she goes in I will quickly shut it over.

I feel so guilty for not trying this sooner, it's making me feel sick. I was trying to do right by them and feel I have let them down.

I am not sure she is a she, it's just a guess based on information from the internet due to the size of her dewlap. I agree she is very likely unspayed, unvaccinated and needs a vet visit.

Do you think that containing her outdoors would be a better option than bringing her indoors whilst she is alone? I have got an indoor run too and have gotten some good tarpaulin to keep out the nasty weather

I am going to do some research now about getting her a companion.

Thank you so much for the response!

You haven’t let them down at all. The people who abandoned them did that.

In the very short term I would leave her outdoors but in the hutch/run. Do make sure that it is all 100% predator proof, including making sure nothing can dig its way in and she can’t dig her way out.

This set up would be temporary and once you have managed to get her Vet checked etc you can see how she reacts to being indoors. Some Rabbits are fine and adjust straight away. Others hate it. And of course in the long term she will need a companion. Whilst ideally this is true for all Rabbits if circumstances are such that you cannot take on another Rabbit then having her live as a House Rabbit would be a possibility. As long as she was OK about being indoors and you could provide suitable indoor accommodation. As previously mentioned, the RWAF provide good advice about suitable housing 😀

You are doing your best to help in a situation you haven’t chosen to be in. You are researching and asking for advice. I wish everyone who actually chooses to have Rabbits was as conscientious as you are being.

Hello. I'd echo the missing bun is not your fault & its lovely to hear you are doing everything you can to help. To be honest I can imagine adopting a similar strategy & trying to gain trust. I really hope the second bun turns up but if not, we can offer advice on getting a companion. Not just for the sake of the millions of unwanted rabbits in rescue, but for owners too I'd really recommend contacting a reputable rescue (ask for ones in your vicinity on here - not all rescues are reputable. The good ones though, they know & health check their rabbits, vaccinate & will help you match appropriately. Plus help with bonding. Much cheaper too. There are rules about adopting - minimum secure space, able & willing to take to vets for vaccs, health checks & when ill, usually stipulating bonding to another bunny etc. Adoption costs in my experience are low, mine have been about £50 a bunny. The spaying & vaccinations required if acquired elsewhere would prob eat up several hundred pounds

I've always had inside buns but as far as I'm aware some buns love it inside, some outside, most...but not all, will adapt
If you go for inside try & ensure bun has places to hide that you don't intrude on. Mine use under the bed & under chairs & have cardboard boxes & tunnels. I try not to upset my boy bun by going in these areas for anything (I clean when he's elsewhere). I've a very old girl who doesn't care at all though

Good luck. Let us know how you get on

Hey there!

First off, I totally agree with you – missing a bun isn't your fault, and it's super cool to see you're doing everything you can to help out. It's like you're putting on a brown suit and becoming a superhero for these little fluffballs. Stealth mode activated, going undercover to win their trust - just like how that brown suit blends into the background, unnoticed but always there, right?

Adopting another bun sounds like a solid plan. You're spot on about reaching out to a reputable rescue. It's not just about saving the countless bunnies in need, but it's a win-win for the owners too. The good rescues are like top-notch matchmakers, they really get the bunnies, you know? Vaccinations, health checks, bonding tips – they’ve got it all. And yep, it's way cheaper in the long run. Those adoption rules are there for a reason, ensuring a happy, healthy life for the buns. £50 a bunny sounds pretty reasonable, especially compared to the costs you’d face otherwise.

Back