• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Discovered a lump

why are we sitting and guess when a photo can easily be taken so we can see the wound and decide?

thanks for the helpful post!!!

Anyway...I have bought some sudocrem and going to contact yet tomorrow just to get both buns booked in for check up. a) to find out when truffle needs spaying and b) to check up Bean's wounds.

However, if there is anyone else who would care to offer any info?

Just keep the wound clean and make sure he dosn't antagonise it by scratching or trying to groom the area (if he can reach it that is). It's always better safe than sorry to have any abnormalities within wounds checked by a vet but it's unlikely to be a serious abcess at this stage, it may be that he just has a little pus trapped under the scab.

Please don't confuse abcess stories from this forum that are related to teeth, mandibles or hocks with ones that spring up from a 'skin' injury....they tend to be far easier to treat and less likely to reoccur as there will be no boney involvement, which is the biggest problem with other types of abcess.

thanks for your post...really helpful! I just worry lots about my little boy! Also worry about my little girl too as they are so happy together :) I have been trying to put cream on him this morning but he keeps bouncing around and binkis everywhere. Both him and truffle have been playing together and binkis galore since about 7:00 am:shock: Plus they both seem to have found new hiding holes together. Truffle seems to be the leader...

hopefully they will both be fine, well especially Bean...will try and get to vets tomorrow.

Ok sudocrem is on! He really flinched when I put it on one side! Hopefully he won't lick it off...trying to distract him with one of his favourite treats - carrots and cabbage salad! However, Truffle is such a snuffler she may have eaten it all before him!

Hope the sudocrem won't harm him - only put a dab on!

Thanks

James

Still licking!!!!! is he going to be ok! Also, when are the scabs going to heal!!!

scab helaing takes time depending on the rabbit and its immune system wil ldetermine how long anything from 1 week to a month is normal though. licking i would try and prevent if possibly if thte sudo creme is on there but i doubt it wil do much harm. i use warm water to bath a wound and try nhot to put anyhting on it unless its weeping.then i would try vetinary wound powder. but speak to your vet to be sure... sudo creme has been used on buns for lots of thing sin the past so i think you will have no ill effeects. x

Thanks...its driving me round the bend today! Just can't stop worrying about him! There are dark grey patches all around the wound now too and also another wound under his chin!

Heal little Bean please heal!

I hope Bean is OK. I use sudocrem on hocks when they are inflamed (vets advice) so it should be OK. Best to get him checked at the vets though. Good luck.

Yup going to be off to the vets tomorrow! A new vets too...been recommended as being rabbit savvy by ARC...hopefully I can get an appointment in the morning. I have just rubbed some more cream into his sore spots...bless him! He hasn't licked the sudocrem off this time! Hurrah!

Also going to get truffle checked out for her spay...may as well, seens as though she will be coming along for the ride. :D So cute that they have to go everywhere together now!

Back