• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dilemma: School Bunny U.D Been contacted AGAIN 29.08

oh ok.. glad was a joke was a tiny bit concerned. you are right the school should not insist on putting them back together what is the point? its creulty. it would be like dog fighting.

Hopefully they will see sense when Sooz gets to speak to them & can explain fully the dangers etc. :)

just a random idea - could you call/visit the school and talk to the headmaster or someone more senior to the teacher. they'd be less emotionally involved with the situation and the bunnies and if you can convince them their 'seniority' might be able to decide the situation. if you suggested a new girlfriend for each, maybe 2 classes could have a pair of bunnies each? and you could do a talk type thing for the kids on rabbit care? make it like the school benefits, helping a charity, etc stuff that makes them look and feel good?

Lorna took two fighting boys to Greenfields to rebond them and it was fine at the rescue. As soon as they got back home, they fell out again and sadly had to be separated.

just a random idea - could you call/visit the school and talk to the headmaster or someone more senior to the teacher. they'd be less emotionally involved with the situation and the bunnies and if you can convince them their 'seniority' might be able to decide the situation. if you suggested a new girlfriend for each, maybe 2 classes could have a pair of bunnies each? and you could do a talk type thing for the kids on rabbit care? make it like the school benefits, helping a charity, etc stuff that makes them look and feel good?

That's what I was thinking as well, go over the teacher's head. If the principal agrees with the teacher, go with the school board or better still a parents association (argueing that nobody wants their kid to see a dead or severely beaten up rabbit and the kids could be traumatised if/when things go wrong).

You could offer to bond them and get the rabbits but don't bond them and tell them that isn't going to work;)

What a shame schools still HAVE rabbits as pets :( I think if they have so little concern for the rabbits' welfare then the bonding issue is probably secondary to the issue that they shouldn't have them at all!
I don't envy your position. I would be getting very cross with them!

What a shame schools still HAVE rabbits as pets :( I think if they have so little concern for the rabbits' welfare then the bonding issue is probably secondary to the issue that they shouldn't have them at all!
I don't envy your position. I would be getting very cross with them!

If I was put in this position I would be loath to rebond them particuarly as even if they did settle for a while, it is not known where they will go at weekends or holidays. they could end up with someone else who has rabbits and end up kicking off.

I am currently trying to rebond two sisters who have fallen out, however the owner has sensibly thought about the situation and already said that if it does not work we are to bond one of them with a male for her and ARC is to take in the other bun.

I also question whether it is acceptable for animals to be kept in places where a named person is not available and responsible for the majority of the day.

I agree with Janice there. Where do these bunnies go in the hols? :shock: Poor little ones, no wonder they fought, esp if they have just come back into school after the Xmas hols, who knows how they must be feeling, scared, confused, flippin petrified! :evil:

I would speak to the school governors and PTA. Maybe suggesting that you could talk to the kids during National Rabbit Week, highlighting the importance of animal welfare, and push for the school to allow these poor boys to be rehomed permanently through a rescue. :cry:

I hope you figure out what to do, I dont envy you Sooz.

Whilst I don't agree with them having the rabbits full stop I am in no position to take the rabbits off them or suggest they surrender them, the last thing I need to do is upset them from the off as they won't be listening to a word I have to say after that.

I have yet to find out who it is I am speaking too, I have no idea if they are a teacher or higher up than that.

The rabbits live outside in a secure compound as there is a fox in the area (same one that visits me) and there is an onsite caretaker....I belive he cares for them in the holidays but will ask him when I see him tonight.

I've been to the vets involved today with a couple of my bunnies and had a chat with them and agree the best I can do is advise them on the dangers and how to go about getting them new girlfriends. I will offer to take one off their hands if needed.

I am also wondering who has picked up the bill for the neutering and surgery.

Talk to the headteacher about it and if necessary the local authority who will go over their heads. If you tell the the dangers I'm sure they will do something about this.

On the school/pet issue, I have a friend who has a class pet hamster, I think this is awful as the poor little thing is nocturnal and a reward for the children is to play with it. Such a shame. Stick to aquariums if you ask me!

Last edited:
I found out yesterday it's the head teacher who wants to put them back together :censored:. Both myself and my manageress have chewed the caretakers ear a little and he said he would have a chat with her.

Hopefully she will still come to see me today. :?

I found out yesterday it's the head teacher who wants to put them back together :censored:. Both myself and my manageress have chewed the caretakers ear a little and he said he would have a chat with her.

Oooh! :evil: I hope it goes well Sooz!

Perhaps they're worried about the cost (to the school) of seperating them? Buying new hutches etc, they might be more open to the idea of rehoming one of them and getting a female to bond with the other?

Really hope she listens to you Sooz :(

Maybe ask her how she would feel when one is killed and she has to tell all the children in assembly. :evil: :(

Really hope she listens to you Sooz :(

Maybe ask her how she would feel when one is killed and she has to tell all the children in assembly. :evil: :(

I was going to ask her how she'd feel if one was killed and one of the children found it. :censored:
My Manageress was pretty adament this mornign that if they won't listen to me and put them back together she will call the RSPCA herself. They'll have fun explaining that to the parents, children and PTA.

I was going to ask her how she'd feel if one was killed and one of the children found it. :censored:
My Manageress was pretty adament this mornign that if they won't listen to me and put them back together she will call the RSPCA herself. They'll have fun explaining that to the parents, children and PTA.

Good plan! :thumb:

Its def a welfare issue, especially as a vet has advised not to put them back together.

Good luck!

Back