• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Difference in prices of pellets

Hi everybody,

I am abroad a.t.m..
In a country called Holland.
I went to a local pet shop and they were selling SS 2 kg bags for about 13 euros.
And next to the baged rabbit food there were plastic containers with different kinds of small animal foods.
There also was a container full of pellets for rabbits for about 2/3/4 euros or something for two kg.
I was shocked at the price difference.
i was wondering what you all think, because if i were a rabbit owner i would proberbly feed the cheap stuff because of the price.
but as we RU's feed only a small amount of pellets i might consider SS because it better quality.
What do all think? I would be very tempted to get the cheap stuff as it's so cheap and my buns would only get pellets as a small part of there diet. With the other part being hay,veg etc.
or do you think pellets should be very good quality and the cheap stuff would be complete rubbish?

The cheap stuff may be rubbish, or it may be great! You really wont know unless you get the nutritional information from it. Can you ask the pet shop for the back of the packet so you can see?

SS have just upped their fibre to 23%, it used to be 19%.

This is something I've been pondering as well.. although kind of in the opposite way. Here Oxbow pellets are best. We've been using a type of Purina pellets that we can get for about $9 for a 25 lb bag for years (my parents were for probably a few years before I was even born) so since we've been using them so long and have always had healthy rabbits I'm reluctant to switch :? I don't really know what to do.

I only found out about Oxbow around 2008 and considered switching then but I'm afraid since I know that my rabbits have done well with Purina and I'm afraid of pellets being a choking hazard... mine are used to the very small size of Purina pellets. I don't think my pellets are exactly bad, just not the best. But I'm not really sure.. I wish there were some US members here that knew.

Rabbits eat so little pellets it doesn't really matter cost wise with me, I would gladly spend more on a better pellets if I knew that was the best thing to do :? If I were you I'd just continue using the good quality since yours are used to it. If you were to switch though you should look at the ingredients, I'm sure some cheap ones are worse than others.

This is something I've been pondering as well.. although kind of in the opposite way. Here Oxbow pellets are best. We've been using a type of Purina pellets that we can get for about $9 for a 25 lb bag for years (my parents were for probably a few years before I was even born) so since we've been using them so long and have always had healthy rabbits I'm reluctant to switch :? I don't really know what to do.

I only found out about Oxbow around 2008 and considered switching then but I'm afraid since I know that my rabbits have done well with Purina and I'm afraid of pellets being a choking hazard... mine are used to the very small size of Purina pellets. I don't think my pellets are exactly bad, just not the best. But I'm not really sure.. I wish there were some US members here that knew.

Rabbits eat so little pellets it doesn't really matter cost wise with me, I would gladly spend more on a better pellets if I knew that was the best thing to do :? If I were you I'd just continue using the good quality since yours are used to it. If you were to switch though you should look at the ingredients, I'm sure some cheap ones are worse than others.

If you post the nutritional info William we can tell you if theyre any good.

If you post the nutritional info William we can tell you if theyre any good.

Purina's ingredients http://www.rabbitchow.com/PRODUCTS/ECMD2-0018885.aspx

INGREDIENTS
Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Wheat Middlings, Ground Soybean Hulls, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Ground Corn, Wheat Flour, Cane Molasses, Ground Oat Hulls, Lignin Sulfonate, Salt, Monocalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, DL-Methionine, Choline Chloride, Iron Oxide, L-Lysine, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Riboflavin, Vitamin A Supplement, Dried Aspergillus Niger Fermentation Extract, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Dried Yeast, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Ferment Product, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Cobalt Carbonate, Manganese Sulfate, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Zinc Sulfate, Dried Yucca Shidigera Extract, Copper Chloride, Dicalcium Phosphate, Monocalcium Phosphate.

Compared to Oxbow's ingredients: http://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/pr...7C22F5CCEBB8FB7A44ED2FDF23.vipa-03b?node=1519

Timothy Grass Meal, Soybean Hulls, Wheat Middlings, Soybean Meal, Cane Molasses, Sodium Bentonite, Soybean Oil, Salt, Lignin Sulfonate, Limestone, Yeast Culture (dehydrated), Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Niacin, Copper Sulfate, Selenium Yeast, Vitamin A Supplement, Folic Acid, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Copper Proteinate, Riboflavin Supplement, Manganese Proteinate, Biotin, Manganous Oxide, Thiamine Mononitrate, Magnesium Sulfate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Cobalt Carbonate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Calcium Iodate

I know Timothy based is better than alfalfa based and corn isn't good and soybean meal is better than ground soybean hulls but don't know much about the other ingredients.

So Oxbow would probably be better but I don't know how much better and if it really matters. I think SS is alfalfa based and soybean hulls, so maybe it isn't so bad? :? It's a lot easier to examine cat/dog food ingredients :lol:

Purina's ingredients http://www.rabbitchow.com/PRODUCTS/ECMD2-0018885.aspx

INGREDIENTS
Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Wheat Middlings, Ground Soybean Hulls, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Ground Corn, Wheat Flour, Cane Molasses, Ground Oat Hulls, Lignin Sulfonate, Salt, Monocalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, DL-Methionine, Choline Chloride, Iron Oxide, L-Lysine, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Riboflavin, Vitamin A Supplement, Dried Aspergillus Niger Fermentation Extract, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Dried Yeast, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Ferment Product, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Cobalt Carbonate, Manganese Sulfate, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Zinc Sulfate, Dried Yucca Shidigera Extract, Copper Chloride, Dicalcium Phosphate, Monocalcium Phosphate.

Compared to Oxbow's ingredients: http://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/pr...7C22F5CCEBB8FB7A44ED2FDF23.vipa-03b?node=1519

Timothy Grass Meal, Soybean Hulls, Wheat Middlings, Soybean Meal, Cane Molasses, Sodium Bentonite, Soybean Oil, Salt, Lignin Sulfonate, Limestone, Yeast Culture (dehydrated), Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Niacin, Copper Sulfate, Selenium Yeast, Vitamin A Supplement, Folic Acid, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Copper Proteinate, Riboflavin Supplement, Manganese Proteinate, Biotin, Manganous Oxide, Thiamine Mononitrate, Magnesium Sulfate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Cobalt Carbonate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Calcium Iodate

I know Timothy based is better than alfalfa based and corn isn't good and soybean meal is better than ground soybean hulls but don't know much about the other ingredients.

So Oxbow would probably be better but I don't know how much better and if it really matters. I think SS is alfalfa based and soybean hulls, so maybe it isn't so bad? :? It's a lot easier to examine cat/dog food ingredients :lol:

This is what I meant...
Purina:
Crude Protein (Min)....................................................16.00%
Crude Fat (Min).......................................................... 1.50%
Crude Fiber (Min)....................................................... 17.00%
Crude Fiber (Max)...................................................... 20.00%
Calcium (Ca) (Min)..................................................... 0.60 %
Calcium (Ca) (Max)....................................................1.10 %
Phosphorus (P) (Min).................................................. 0.40%
Salt (NaCl) (Min)........................................................ 0.50%
Salt (NaCl) (Max) ...................................................... 1.00 %
Vitamin A (Min).......................................................... 4650IU/lb

Oxbow Bunny Basics:
Crude Protein min 14.00%
Crude Fat min 2.00%
Crude Fiber min 25.00%
Crude Fiber max 29.00%
Moisture max 10.00%
Calcium min 0.35%
Calcium max 0.85%
Phosphorus min 0.25%
Salt min 0.50%
Salt max 1.00%
Copper (min) 30 ppm
Vitamin A (min) 19,000 IU/kg
Vitamin D (min) 900 IU/kg
Vitamin E (min) 190 IU/kg

So yes, Oxbow is the better pellet. The main reasons would be the much higher fibre content and the lower calcium content. However some bunnies that struggle to keep their weight lose condition on Oxbow and need it mixed with another.

However Purina doesnt look too bad, personally I wouldnt want to go lower than 19% fibre, and its calcium levels are a little high I think, the max level is 1.1%. For comparison, Excel has 0.9% and SS has 0.6%, these are the most popular brands the UK users on here use. It is better than most commercial rabbit foods.

Last edited:
We use Allen & Page pellets - £13 for 20kg which is pretty good value and, together with large quantities of hay, they're recycled into large, golden fibrous poops!

I've tried wagg optimum, burgess excel, pets at home nuggets and am now moving them on to allen and page. £9.86 for 20kg, not bad at all :)

I do feel that each rabbit should be on what is right for them. Mine were good on wagg but didnt do so well with burgess, yet burgess is the 'better' pellet. I think as long as they are ok on it, stick to what you are doing :)

I've tried wagg optimum, burgess excel, pets at home nuggets and am now moving them on to allen and page. £9.86 for 20kg, not bad at all :)

I do feel that each rabbit should be on what is right for them. Mine were good on wagg but didnt do so well with burgess, yet burgess is the 'better' pellet. I think as long as they are ok on it, stick to what you are doing :)

allen and page is great isnt it carnt belive the price for a 20kg its fab stuff :D

I've used Excel pellets but found them quite greasy. I don't believe they're 'better': I just think they're more heavily marketed.

Your price for A&P is very good. I wish I could buy at £9.86 but even at £13 I think they're good value.

This is what I meant...
Purina:
Crude Protein (Min)....................................................16.00%
Crude Fat (Min).......................................................... 1.50%
Crude Fiber (Min)....................................................... 17.00%
Crude Fiber (Max)...................................................... 20.00%
Calcium (Ca) (Min)..................................................... 0.60 %
Calcium (Ca) (Max)....................................................1.10 %
Phosphorus (P) (Min).................................................. 0.40%
Salt (NaCl) (Min)........................................................ 0.50%
Salt (NaCl) (Max) ...................................................... 1.00 %
Vitamin A (Min).......................................................... 4650IU/lb

Oxbow Bunny Basics:
Crude Protein min 14.00%
Crude Fat min 2.00%
Crude Fiber min 25.00%
Crude Fiber max 29.00%
Moisture max 10.00%
Calcium min 0.35%
Calcium max 0.85%
Phosphorus min 0.25%
Salt min 0.50%
Salt max 1.00%
Copper (min) 30 ppm
Vitamin A (min) 19,000 IU/kg
Vitamin D (min) 900 IU/kg
Vitamin E (min) 190 IU/kg

So yes, Oxbow is the better pellet. The main reasons would be the much higher fibre content and the lower calcium content. However some bunnies that struggle to keep their weight lose condition on Oxbow and need it mixed with another.

However Purina doesnt look too bad, personally I wouldnt want to go lower than 19% fibre, and its calcium levels are a little high I think, the max level is 1.1%. For comparison, Excel has 0.9% and SS has 0.6%, these are the most popular brands the UK users on here use. It is better than most commercial rabbit foods.

thanks! that certainly gave me a better idea of it. i think I will just stick to Purina for now. Maybe when I get more rabbits I'll feed them a mix Oxbow and Purina and see how they do and then when I bond the newbies with my current buns I can continue with the Oxbow/Purina mix, for all of them.

My lot do better on Wagg Optimum then they did on their SS or Excell. I think it's a matter of finding what's right for your buns and sticking to it, just because something is more expensive, it doesn't mean it's "better".

Mine seem to do fine on A&P and its cheaper that Excel. My local agricultural merchants order it in for me but keep excel in stock all the time. I asked them why they dont keep A&P and she said she dosnt think their customers knew about A&P.

I see both sides of the argument. Pellets are such a small part of their diet it doesn't really matter about their fibre content etc - they get plenty of fibre from hay. On the other hand, because you feed so little you may as well feed the best as it probably won't cost much more per week.

Mine are on SS atm but I'm switching back to excel when I've finished this bag as that's what I've found mine do best on. Dare I say it, they also did very well on rabbit royale which is a muesli mix so I may well go back to feeding them a mix of that and the excel. Sometimes the "best" food isn't what individual rabbits do best on.

ETA: william, if your rabbits are doing well on what they're on I'd stick with it. Although if a bag literally lasts you years I would check the expiry date as once it's passed that you start to lose your vitamins etc.

Back