• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dave's video - opinions please, really worried U/D P41 bad news all round/ U/D P51

Only just seen this sorry :oops:

Poor Dave :cry: Erm..... to me it sounds like he is sucking it through his teeth when he makes those noises? I don't have a dental bun and never have, but Judy tells me that Thumper drinks noisily when his spurs/mouth is sore. I wonder if he gets an anaesthetic effect from swishing the water across his spurs/sore mouth? It sounds like a behavioural trait he has mastered to compensate for something clinical going on.... if you know what I mean?!

I hope your vet can figure it out. x

ETA just reading the post above mine - yes I also think it could be this. That he sucks/laps it up, and then sucks it through his teeth as a slow way to swallow it rather than gulping it - perhaps his head tilt is obstructing his oesophagus?

Thanks for your reply :wave:

I can't wait to get him to the vets and get this sorted but am also very nervous in case its not good :( He has always been a bag of bones from day one :? :(

I have just been laying on the floor right next to Daves head as he drinks. The noise doesn't sound dental to me. He seems to be having real problems swallowing it. His tongue is coming out like he is licking his lips and he is chewing away on it before it goes down :(

Why doesn't he have a problem with eating though :? :?

I know I shouldn't but i am getting a bit panicked about tomorrows appointment in case it is really bad news. Dave and Daisy now live where Eddie and Elwood did. They have been good company to help us get over loosing the boys, it would be awful if anything happened to them so soon :cry:

Sinbad has also drunk 2 bowls of water since this morning, so is now starting his third of the day :shock: :(

Last edited:
I know humans and buns are different, but in humans difficulties swallowing due to a problems with the throat muscles and aspiration (were food is inhaled on to the lungs during or instead of swallowing) usualls shows up in thin fluids first, and they 'treat' it by thickening fluids. I'm not sure if fluid thickner is safe for buns though. I think defo a vet check up to find the cause.

Maybe in the mean time try and restict fluid from the bowl and give wet veg, soaked pellets to make up the difference?

I have just been laying on the floor right next to Daves head as he drinks. The noise doesn't sound dental to me. He seems to be having real problems swallowing it. His tongue is coming out like he is licking his lips and he is chewing away on it before it goes down :(

Why doesn't he have a problem with eating though :? :?

I know I shouldn't but i am getting a bit panicked about tomorrows appointment in case it is really bad news. Dave and Daisy now live where Eddie and Elwood did. They have been good company to help us get over loosing the boys, it would be awful if anything happened to them so soon :cry:

Sinbad has also drunk 2 bowls of water since this morning, so is now starting his third of the day :shock: :(

No you shouldn't worry before you've even had him checked by the vet and assume the worst Liz, it will just make you anxious and the bunnies too. I know you've had some very sad times recently but try not to worry about Dave and Daisy too prematurely.

Maybe swallowing is the problem and he swallows his food in smaller amounts than big gulps of water, so that he is therefore trying to reduce the amount of water he swallows in one go. I have done this when I had a terrible indigestion once... small sips.... perhaps this is what he is trying to achieve.
I personally wouldn't restrict his water intake, the last thing you need is his guts getting dehydrated on top of everything else.
Good luck tomorrow and try not to worry x

ETA perhaps he has something obstructing his oesophagus? Or maybe a neuro issue with his swallowing reflex?

I know humans and buns are different, but in humans difficulties swallowing due to a problems with the throat muscles and aspiration (were food is inhaled on to the lungs during or instead of swallowing) usualls shows up in thin fluids first, and they 'treat' it by thickening fluids. I'm not sure if fluid thickner is safe for buns though. I think defo a vet check up to find the cause.

Maybe in the mean time try and restict fluid from the bowl and give wet veg, soaked pellets to make up the difference?

Thanks, thats interesting.

He is at the vets before 9 tomorrow morning so not long to wait now.

You have picked up on my main worry, that it might be a worsening problem that we can't do much about :? :(

No you shouldn't worry before you've even had him checked by the vet and assume the worst Liz, it will just make you anxious and the bunnies too. I know you've had some very sad times recently but try not to worry about Dave and Daisy too prematurely.

Maybe swallowing is the problem and he swallows his food in smaller amounts than big gulps of water, so that he is therefore trying to reduce the amount of water he swallows in one go. I have done this when I had a terrible indigestion once... small sips.... perhaps this is what he is trying to achieve.
I personally wouldn't restrict his water intake, the last thing you need is his guts getting dehydrated on top of everything else.

ETA perhaps he has something obstructing his oesophagus? Or maybe a neuro issue with his swallowing reflex?

Shall try my best to keep my panic under control :oops: Its a little ball hidden in my tummy at the moment so hopefully Dave wont pick up on it :)

I wont be doing anything different before seeing the vet tomorrow. I was wondering if it is neurological as he has always had neurological issues. He certainly isn't the "full ticket" bless him, but that is what makes his so lovable :love:

How bizarre :? It sounds almost as if he is swishing it about his mouth a bit like I might swish a mouthwash around or gargle on aspirin :? I wonder if he's got an ulcer, mouth pain or something and he's drinking a lot and swishing it around to try and get relief from it?

Last edited:
How strange... :shock: Nothing helpful to say. I just wanted to say best of luck for the morning.

How bizarre :? It sounds almost as if he is swishing it about his mouth a bit like I might swish a mouthwash around :? I wonder if he's got an ulcer or something and he's drinking a lot and swishing it around to try and get relief from it?

Wouldn't that be a nice simple answer :) I wont look in his mouth as it is too hard to do on my own with his head tilt so it could be something obvious like that. Fingers crossed :)

Hmmm it is a difficult one. My main though was if the water is going in to his lungs it makes chest infection a high risk. I would only consider it if the water was being made up in another way. Maybe increase other sources of water would reduce the excessive drinking naturally, without restricting access. I am interested to know what the vet says.

Hmmm it is a difficult one. My main though was if the water is going in to his lungs it makes chest infection a high risk. I would only consider it if the water was being made up in another way. Maybe increase other sources of water would reduce the excessive drinking naturally, without restricting access. I am interested to know what the vet says.

I'd have thought if it was going into his lungs he would be couging and spluttering and wheezing afterwards, and generally making quite a display. Any fluids going into the lungs is going to cause a reflex response. When Poppy aspirated on her saliva/food particle she made a terrible fuss, wiping her face and wretching with her throat and then wheezed terribly afterwards for several days.

That is so bizarre. He sounds like a squeaky little bird.

I have no idea what it could be, but when you started speaking all four of my creatures pricked up their ears and stared in the direction of the computer, you must have an animal-entrancing voice!

Tons of vibes for the vet tomorrow xx

Awww poor Davy Baby. Is there anything stuck in his throat or possibly a tear in his gullet? This can happen in humans not sure about buns tho. He might need the bunny equivalent of an endoscopy just to check his throat and gullet for any abnormalities.

Good Luck boy you are gorgeous:love:.

That is so bizarre. He sounds like a squeaky little bird.

I have no idea what it could be, but when you started speaking all four of my creatures pricked up their ears and stared in the direction of the computer, you must have an animal-entrancing voice!

Tons of vibes for the vet tomorrow xx

I thought I sounded like a right idiot :oops:

I don't think he is getting anything in his lungs as he would be struggling more as Vicky says. I would also think he would be having other problems if there was something stuck in his throat. If he needs an endoscopy he can't have it done at our vets as I know they don;t have equipment small enough for a rabbit, although he is a big'ish boy :?

Lets hope we get some answers tomorrow and the vet isn't as stumped as we are

I thought I sounded like a right idiot :oops:

I don't think he is getting anything in his lungs as he would be struggling more as Vicky says. I would also think he would be having other problems if there was something stuck in his throat. If he needs an endoscopy he can't have it done at our vets as I know they don;t have equipment small enough for a rabbit, although he is a big'ish boy :?

Lets hope we get some answers tomorrow and the vet isn't as stumped as we are

They obviously thought you sounded like someone who might have food :lol:

I rarely post vids on here because I always chatter nonsense to the animals while I'm filming without realising :roll:

Oh bless him....he's so cute :love:

Hope it's something simple for him and you! Vibes for tomorrow :)

They obviously thought you sounded like someone who might have food :lol:

I rarely post vids on here because I always chatter nonsense to the animals while I'm filming without realising :roll:

I know, I had to keep saying to myself "keep quiet, keep quiet" but i couldn't help myself :roll::lol::lol:

Back