• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice needed for new bunny owner please!

FifiBun

Warren Scout
Hi there, a week and 4 days ago I took in a rabbit who was in need of a new home. She was being bullied by the two other rabbits in the old house. In the home before that she was traumatized by a giant rabbit.
I've been told she's about 6 months old, and this is her third home, the poor girl.

I don't know if I did the right thing by taking her in as I have no experience with rabbits, barr a very regrettable period as a child, 20 years ago. I shudder to think of how I cared, or rather, didn't care properly at all for that poor creature.

I did 'some', research the couple of days before getting her, and watched lots of lennon the bunny and a few others on you tube.

Fifi is a mini lion lop, white with pink eyes. I was told she is extremely sweet natured and while being quite skittish on the floor, completely relaxes when she is held on your lap.

On the 45 minute journey back to our house she kept trying to get out of the cardboard box ( I know- baaaad idea, not having a proper carrier), so she ended up sitting on my lap in the back snuggling the entire journey.

She has her own small room as her 'base' , just off from the kitchen. It has tunnels hides, chew toys, seagrass houses, her litter tray which is half filled with a very good dust free bedding called aubiose, and half filled with hay, piled up- can post a video to see if people think it's suitable.

She was 'sploofing' in her room within minutes.

That night, not long after we got back with her I brought her to sit in my lap on the floor while we watched a film. She sat there for 50 minutes, and I think would have stayed there for the duration if I didn't take her back to her room.

During the day she is free roamed in a very large living room and kitchen, ( my fiance works from home and I am medically signed off at present, so can really monitor her), she sits in the same two places, but mostly she sits under the TV table, which is very much out in the open. Also I have some parrots that can be very loud, and who don't phase her at all- has no reaction.

She hasn't chewed a single thing, toys, nothing, and I was told she's not a chewer, and I'm a bit concerned about this, as it's such a key aspect of rabbit behaviour.

She has a few short boughts of activity, bounding around, but for the most part she just flops to the side and stays like that, sploofs or loafs under the TV table. I'm worried about this too.

I haven't wanted to pick her up and force cuddles, and she hasn't sought them out, but I'm worried that she will stop enjoying being held if I don't initiate them.
She jumps into mine or my partners lap when I hand feed her each day.
She gets a quarter of a cup of burgess pellets, ( which was given when she came), plus a third of a cup measurement of a green mix- rocket, chard etc, with a bit of kale, mint, parsley- twice a day. She really really loves her food. Once or twice a day I'll give her a tiny bit of carrot or apple.

She is being spayed on Thursday.

I am really stressed out about her candy floss fur - I've read a lot about gi stasis- but it's hard to brush her, and I don't want to force/ chase her around at this critical stage of our relationship.

Should I just pick her up and make her cuddle since I know she does love it? The other day when I sat her in my lap for the first time since she arrived she stayed there until I moved her on one occasion, but moved quite quickly the second time. I think I should just let her come to me, but like I say, I don't want her to stop enjoying it.

Also her bum was a bit pooey a couple of times and I held her like a baby- she didn't struggle much, and washed and snipped it. I'm so stressed out about this long fur,and the balance between making sure she is brushed, and stressing her out and damaging our relationship.

Can anyone please let me know if it sounds like there are any obvious flaws ( there must be some), in what I'm doing, and give me a bunny experts opinion on how it sounds like she is doing, her personality and what I should do about the fur and continuing with cuddles?

Sorry to have written such a lot! I really want to do the right thing by this little one after having such a rough start in life, and also to make up for my childhood rabbit mistreatment. I want to do the very best for this girl. Thank you so much if you've read all this, and any advice would be so, so gratefully received [emoji120][emoji169][emoji195]

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

I meant to add- the first night when she sat on my lap for 50 minutes, she was actually doing the teeth purring thing, so was definitely enjoying it, as opposed to being terrified!

Hello and welcome. I enjoyed reading your introduction to the forum and I am sure that there will be many RU'ers coming on soon to give you some fantastic guidance.
So for my part, this is what I can offer you by way of input and advice. Firstly, it's ok to 'dwell' on your past experiences - don't be afraid of them - we have all gained experience and continue to do so. The important thing is, you are moving forward and you have already shown a huge amount of insight and knowledge by the set up you have created for Fifi.
From what you describe, she has clearly had an unsettling start to life and like humans, this will be lodged in her memory. You need to establish trust - and rabbits are trusting animals but you have to work hard to get that bond and trust. A mini lion lop sounds lovely - they should have a good gentle nature but probably a bit skittish, nervous, easily spooked (I've got a lionhead - that's how he is). She is showing trust towards you by sitting on your lap so this is a good positive.
You have described loads of toys and things to keep Fifi occupied which is great - but I might be tempted to ditch the auboise as it's primarily horse bedding I believe. Newspaper and hay and megazorb or some pupled paper bedding designed for small pets is ideal - avoid using sawdust as it will irritate. But plenty of hay all the way.
I'd perhaps ease back on the kale and rocket - this might be causing the sticky poop you found. In such a young rabbit they contain high levels of vitamins and could possibly upset the stomach balance. Hence loads of hay. Boring boring hay.
You say she's not a chewer - take that as a positive. Some rabbits are destructive, some aren't. But I'd prepare as much as you can for this by keeping cables and stuff out of the way. You can use apple twigs forFifi to chew.
Getting her spayed is great - it will reduce the chances of problems later in life. But she will most likely be uncomfortable for a few days and subdued so you need to monitor her very closely. She must drink and eat and if she doesn't then you need to get vet advice asap. Rabbits recover at different rates but stasis as you rightly identified, is a big problem. Your job as carer is to learn Fifi's manorisms. It's her way of communicating to you. The running up and taking food first thing, the body language (sploofing), watching how she sits. All these must be learned and remembered because any deviation from a routine should be viewed as something to investigate. Rabbits can go downhill very quickly so the sooner you know your rabbit then the better your care with her will be.
Regarding the candy floss fur - I'm afraid I have no knowledge on that but I would support your view that chasing her round isn't going to be good relationships and could stress her. As she is going to the vet on thursday, I would discuss this with the vet nurse and vet and see if they can tackle the grooming whilst Fifi is sedated and at least give you a starting point from there. Rabbits are fistideous groomers and we can help keep their coats clean and healthy. A gently gently approach is always good - maybe show her a soft brush first - let her sniff it and then maybe just a few gentle strokes over her fur. The more you do it and take your time the more she'll get used to it.
Maybe a few treats to reward her? Mine like dried cranberries. Banana is always a good one especially for medicine.
Rabbits are naturally curious so allow her to come to you and explore you. She needs to feel safe with you and she will then trust you. You are her guardian - an honoured responsibility. But you are also her eyes and ears for health and safety.
The only other thing I would add and I am sure many more will suggest, is that she would benefit from a companion. I know this is a massive step and responsibility and bonding bunnies is stressfull but you've done the hard work already. Fif will be much happier with a companion bun of similar age - but this is something to look for a little way down the line.
And please - use the forum. Look at the various threads, see our own rabbits and you'll get a feel for every one of us. We all share the love for rabbits and pets, but we do all have different specialities and knowledge so we'll collectively get you and Fifi there. She has got a great start with you in her new forever home. And this forum is a warm and friendly sanctuary for you and Fifi and you'll get all the help and guidance you'll need.
Welcome!
Craig x

She will need regular grooming by the sound of it. I use a double sided dog comb for all my furries. You need to get down to the base of the fur at skin level to prevent mats forming, and brushes only do the top layers. You can start by doing part of her at a time - so pick a quarter and do that, then a different one next time - until you can do all of her in one go. Underarms and trousers / tail are the places that get knotty due to movement. The odd knot is probably best cut out very carefully with small, sharp scissors (or cut through it in line with the hair and tease it out). Rabbits have very thin skin, so always try to cut outwards, away from the body.

Watch out for wires - they are likely to be chewed. Keep them out of her way.

Hay should be the main part of the diet - so lots of whatever type she will eat. Pellets and greens are Ok, but shouldn't form a significant part of the diet. She needs the coarse fibre in grass to keep her teeth in good condition, and for good gut health. Poo should be large, round, golden (on hay, darker on grass) and plentiful.

Don't forget to ask the vet about vaccinations. There is a triple vacc now, done once a year. It covers Myxomatosis, RHD1 and RHD2. Indoor bunnies need vaccinating as much as outdoor ones.

Congratulations on your new companion.

Hello and welcome. I enjoyed reading your introduction to the forum and I am sure that there will be many RU'ers coming on soon to give you some fantastic guidance.
So for my part, this is what I can offer you by way of input and advice. Firstly, it's ok to 'dwell' on your past experiences - don't be afraid of them - we have all gained experience and continue to do so. The important thing is, you are moving forward and you have already shown a huge amount of insight and knowledge by the set up you have created for Fifi.
From what you describe, she has clearly had an unsettling start to life and like humans, this will be lodged in her memory. You need to establish trust - and rabbits are trusting animals but you have to work hard to get that bond and trust. A mini lion lop sounds lovely - they should have a good gentle nature but probably a bit skittish, nervous, easily spooked (I've got a lionhead - that's how he is). She is showing trust towards you by sitting on your lap so this is a good positive.
You have described loads of toys and things to keep Fifi occupied which is great - but I might be tempted to ditch the auboise as it's primarily horse bedding I believe. Newspaper and hay and megazorb or some pupled paper bedding designed for small pets is ideal - avoid using sawdust as it will irritate. But plenty of hay all the way.
I'd perhaps ease back on the kale and rocket - this might be causing the sticky poop you found. In such a young rabbit they contain high levels of vitamins and could possibly upset the stomach balance. Hence loads of hay. Boring boring hay.
You say she's not a chewer - take that as a positive. Some rabbits are destructive, some aren't. But I'd prepare as much as you can for this by keeping cables and stuff out of the way. You can use apple twigs forFifi to chew.
Getting her spayed is great - it will reduce the chances of problems later in life. But she will most likely be uncomfortable for a few days and subdued so you need to monitor her very closely. She must drink and eat and if she doesn't then you need to get vet advice asap. Rabbits recover at different rates but stasis as you rightly identified, is a big problem. Your job as carer is to learn Fifi's manorisms. It's her way of communicating to you. The running up and taking food first thing, the body language (sploofing), watching how she sits. All these must be learned and remembered because any deviation from a routine should be viewed as something to investigate. Rabbits can go downhill very quickly so the sooner you know your rabbit then the better your care with her will be.
Regarding the candy floss fur - I'm afraid I have no knowledge on that but I would support your view that chasing her round isn't going to be good relationships and could stress her. As she is going to the vet on thursday, I would discuss this with the vet nurse and vet and see if they can tackle the grooming whilst Fifi is sedated and at least give you a starting point from there. Rabbits are fistideous groomers and we can help keep their coats clean and healthy. A gently gently approach is always good - maybe show her a soft brush first - let her sniff it and then maybe just a few gentle strokes over her fur. The more you do it and take your time the more she'll get used to it.
Maybe a few treats to reward her? Mine like dried cranberries. Banana is always a good one especially for medicine.
Rabbits are naturally curious so allow her to come to you and explore you. She needs to feel safe with you and she will then trust you. You are her guardian - an honoured responsibility. But you are also her eyes and ears for health and safety.
The only other thing I would add and I am sure many more will suggest, is that she would benefit from a companion. I know this is a massive step and responsibility and bonding bunnies is stressfull but you've done the hard work already. Fif will be much happier with a companion bun of similar age - but this is something to look for a little way down the line.
And please - use the forum. Look at the various threads, see our own rabbits and you'll get a feel for every one of us. We all share the love for rabbits and pets, but we do all have different specialities and knowledge so we'll collectively get you and Fifi there. She has got a great start with you in her new forever home. And this forum is a warm and friendly sanctuary for you and Fifi and you'll get all the help and guidance you'll need.
Welcome!
Craig x
Wow Craig, thank you SO much for the lovely welcome and for taking the time to write such a helpful and detailed response to my post!
I will take all of your advice on board.
Your words towards the end re the warm and friendly sanctuary of the forum are sooo comforting, as I'm feeling very out of my depth and anxious!
Thank you, thank you! [emoji294][emoji294][emoji294][emoji195][emoji169]

She will need regular grooming by the sound of it. I use a double sided dog comb for all my furries. You need to get down to the base of the fur at skin level to prevent mats forming, and brushes only do the top layers. You can start by doing part of her at a time - so pick a quarter and do that, then a different one next time - until you can do all of her in one go. Underarms and trousers / tail are the places that get knotty due to movement. The odd knot is probably best cut out very carefully with small, sharp scissors (or cut through it in line with the hair and tease it out). Rabbits have very thin skin, so always try to cut outwards, away from the body.

Watch out for wires - they are likely to be chewed. Keep them out of her way.

Hay should be the main part of the diet - so lots of whatever type she will eat. Pellets and greens are Ok, but shouldn't form a significant part of the diet. She needs the coarse fibre in grass to keep her teeth in good condition, and for good gut health. Poo should be large, round, golden (on hay, darker on grass) and plentiful.

Don't forget to ask the vet about vaccinations. There is a triple vacc now, done once a year. It covers Myxomatosis, RHD1 and RHD2. Indoor bunnies need vaccinating as much as outdoor ones.

Congratulations on your new companion.
Thank you so much shimmer :)
Is there any particular double sided dog comb that you can recommend?
I didn't even think about the high maintenance factor of this girls extremely fluffy coat, and am feeling very naive to use the nicest word I can think of.
I'm worried about damaging her thin skin and our relationship, but I know it has to be done.
Thanks again :) [emoji255][emoji255][emoji255]

Hello and welcome. I am sure you are trying hard to do what is best for your new Bunny but don't over-worry about her as she will pick up on your tension. Try to be casual and gentle . Her coat might settle down as she gets older so it won't be so much of a worry for you and if she eats a good amount of hay then this will help push any fur through her gut which she has ingested. It is always best to take things slowly with a new Rabbit, you have lots of time as they don't adjust quickly to changes. There is also lots of excellent advice on the Rabbit Welfare Association's website. I hope her spay goes smoothly on Thursday, it is quite an invasive operation so she will need to be restrained from jumping etc for a few days. Keep her accommodation very clean and hopefully she will recover well. She may not want to eat very much at first but grass is the favourite if you can pick some. She might not be interested in her Pellets for a day or so but would prefer fresh food.

You did a lovely thing by rescuing this little one! My only advice would be to ensure you find a good rabbit-savvy vet and ensure that at least 3/4 of her diet is good quality hay, cutting down pellets very gradually if necessary.

She is one very lucky little bunny to have you as her forever home after such a rotten start. :love:

I might be tempted to ditch the auboise as it's primarily horse bedding I believe.
Craig x

Just wanted to say don't worry about using Auboise, Burlybed or any Miscanthus type horse bedding. As long as you use whatever works best for you/Fifi and not any of the harmful litter you'll be fine.

Re grooming, have you tried brushing whilst she's eating at all? With my fluffy lionhead, I run the comb over him a few times every night when he's eating his pellets and then once a week he gets given a treat not given at any other time and then thoroughly brushed.

Something else you'll need to consider is claw clipping. With my lot I've done a cross between clicker training and operent conditioning so that picking up individual claws on the back feet and the whole paw on the front feet isn't too stressful for them (I say "paw" and then pick up the claw/paw). Takes a while to get that level of trust but it's worth doing and probably a good idea to do alongside teaching that grooming is good. (I've also taught my lot that "tail" means that I'm going to check their bums but this is done whilst all four feet are on a suitable surface when I'm grooming.) Edit: Forgot to mention that you might want to consider words that can be used to let her know what you are doing eg: over for picking up, down for putting down, touching Fifi for when you're about to touch her etc. I've done it with my lot and it just lets them know exactly what to expect which also helps with trust.

Just a quick comment re vets; good rabbit vets are definitely worth finding. My lionhead has been hospitalised three times so far this year due to gut stasis caused by fur/moulting and it's only due to my vets really great care that he's pulled through every time. I would however suggest either getting pet insurance or having a specific savings account for vet fees.

Last edited:
You mention poo bum. It is best to keep new bunnies on same food they had with prior owner and make gradual changes. Same when adding greens. Stress can also cause gi issues.
Craig suggested a grooming at vet while she sedated and that is good idea.
Make sure vet provides pain meds after her spay for several days.
You may need to use a litter that does not get tangled in her fluff.
Three weeks ago I got a lionhead who was bullied and covered in bites. He healed physically and he now will take pellets from my hand.

You did a lovely thing by rescuing this little one! My only advice would be to ensure you find a good rabbit-savvy vet and ensure that at least 3/4 of her diet is good quality hay, cutting down pellets very gradually if necessary.

She is one very lucky little bunny to have you as her forever home after such a rotten start. :love:
Thank you for your lovely, and helpful response Babsie [emoji4][emoji294][emoji294][emoji294]

Just wanted to say don't worry about using Auboise, Burlybed or any Miscanthus type horse bedding. As long as you use whatever works best for you/Fifi and not any of the harmful litter you'll be fine.

Re grooming, have you tried brushing whilst she's eating at all? With my fluffy lionhead, I run the comb over him a few times every night when he's eating his pellets and then once a week he gets given a treat not given at any other time and then thoroughly brushed.

Something else you'll need to consider is claw clipping. With my lot I've done a cross between clicker training and operent conditioning so that picking up individual claws on the back feet and the whole paw on the front feet isn't too stressful for them (I say "paw" and then pick up the claw/paw). Takes a while to get that level of trust but it's worth doing and probably a good idea to do alongside teaching that grooming is good. (I've also taught my lot that "tail" means that I'm going to check their bums but this is done whilst all four feet are on a suitable surface when I'm grooming.) Edit: Forgot to mention that you might want to consider words that can be used to let her know what you are doing eg: over for picking up, down for putting down, touching Fifi for when you're about to touch her etc. I've done it with my lot and it just lets them know exactly what to expect which also helps with trust.

Just a quick comment re vets; good rabbit vets are definitely worth finding. My lionhead has been hospitalised three times so far this year due to gut stasis caused by fur/moulting and it's only due to my vets really great care that he's pulled through every time. I would however suggest either getting pet insurance or having a specific savings account for vet fees.
Thank you so much. This is so helpful and a bit scary! I really didn't think about the implications of taking on a rabbit with such long fur! I'd like to ask more about this if I may later, but for now I'm just very anxious about the spay - she's there now. She will be fine I'm sure. Thanks again [emoji4]

You mention poo bum. It is best to keep new bunnies on same food they had with prior owner and make gradual changes. Same when adding greens. Stress can also cause gi issues.
Three weeks ago I got a lionhead who was bullied and covered in bites. He healed physically and he now will take pellets from my hand.
Thank you so much bunny momma!

So lovely to hear about the lion head

Back