• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dash is not well :( *Update - 16/05*

Glad you managed to get the painkiller for Dash. I'm surprised the vet didn't treat the ear mites though :?. I'm not an expert, but I don't think they'll disappear themselves.

I think it was more about not treating everything at once but I agree it seems odd! Maybe it's because the other things that could develop are more serious so she wanted to prevent further infection before treating the mites. Like I said I'm hoping I'll get more clarity on Friday! The vet I'm seeing seems to explain things well so might make more sense to me! Dash is pretty miserable but hopefully the pain relief will help him feel better. He's been using the top level and his balance seems ok, so fingers crossed he'll only improve from this point.

Update 16/05

Well I've just got back from Dash's follow up appointment and it turns out he's not got ear mites :roll: even though the other vet told me she could see some crawling! The vet today said it's more than likely to be signs of EC but as it's been spotted so early the month long course of Panacur should treat it successfully, and the Baytril is more precautionary in case of middle ear infection. She did say however that 'all the top rabbit vets recommend regular worming'.

Well Dash seems better in himself, not noticed the wobbles so fingers crossed (if he takes his medication instead of dribbling most of it out :roll:) he'll be better in no time :thumb:

You will need to treat all in contact Rabbits with a 28 day course of Panacur too. Also, it is important to minimise the risk of any of them ingesting urine contaminated hay/food (EC spores are shed in the urine). The environment they live in needs to be bleach cleaned using a 10% bleach solution on days 21 and 28 of treatment.

A non steroidal anti-inflammatory eg Metacam is an important part of the treatment of 'active' EC. This is because erupting EC spores cause an inflammatory response in the cells they penetrate. It is the inflammatory response that causes clinical symptoms and longterm cellular damage.

I hope Dash continues to improve xx

You will need to treat all in contact Rabbits with a 28 day course of Panacur too. Also, it is important to minimise the risk of any of them ingesting urine contaminated hay/food (EC spores are shed in the urine). The environment they live in needs to be bleach cleaned using a 10% bleach solution on days 21 and 28 of treatment.

A non steroidal anti-inflammatory eg Metacam is an important part of the treatment of 'active' EC. This is because erupting EC spores cause an inflammatory response in the cells they penetrate. It is the inflammatory response that causes clinical symptoms and longterm cellular damage.

I hope Dash continues to improve xx

Thanks, he has an anti inflammatory/pain killer and others have been given a 9day course of Panacur. I'll question the length of treatment for them next time I go, just got 6 more tubes of the stuff today! What is the reason for the timing of cleaning with bleach?

Back